• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Switching From ROG Strix 2080 Super To 3090 Founders Edition

Associate
Hi,

I’ve recently done the change to the 3090, mostly used for Gaming and I will do roughly 9 hours a day of Mining whilst I’m not at home.

I’ve noticed and read up regarding that the 3090 runs very hot with the VRAM temperatures, what I need to know is I’ve don’t my first day of testing it running for 9 hours mining and it’s averaged 99C on the VRAM. Is that something to worry about or will I be ok?

Caporegime
I believe 110'C is the major, major worry. Anything above 100'C is worrisome if it stays above that regularly. Under that is seen as OK, but cooler would be better. Can you increase your airflow?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I had mine a while before the sensor was available in the software to measure the temp. It depends on how hard you thrash the GPU in the miner. I was conservative and it never went above 102 but then the spring came so I ordered the pads and done the mod. After the mod the memory is about 20c cooler.

If you can stop it from going into treble figures I would not worry about it. We are pretty much out of the summer unless we get a unicorn indian summer which I have yet to experience in Ireland.

Only the miners pushing for 120MH/s or strange gamers that dont run an underclock will be hammering the memory which will require better cooling thought.

Associate
OP
I had mine a while before the sensor was available in the software to measure the temp. It depends on how hard you thrash the GPU in the miner. I was conservative and it never went above 102 but then the spring came so I ordered the pads and done the mod. After the mod the memory is about 20c cooler.

If you can stop it from going into treble figures I would not worry about it. We are pretty much out of the summer unless we get a unicorn indian summer which I have yet to experience in Ireland.

Only the miners pushing for 120MH/s or strange gamers that dont run an underclock will be hammering the memory which will require better cooling thought.

I’ve undervolted/underclocked for gaming and also the same for mining. It’s getting roughly 100-105MH/s.

Got some thermals pads on the way but I didn’t really want to take it apart but I’ve seen how easy it looks so if it’s needed I’ve got it there ready.

The memory doesn’t touch 90C whilst Gaming 4K

Soldato
I’ve undervolted/underclocked for gaming and also the same for mining. It’s getting roughly 100-105MH/s.

Got some thermals pads on the way but I didn’t really want to take it apart but I’ve seen how easy it looks so if it’s needed I’ve got it there ready.

The memory doesn’t touch 90C whilst Gaming 4K

OK your ready to do the pads if you need to. Only tear into it if you start seeing the mem temps creep to 102. That's what I did till I had to act because the weather was picking up and the ambient was moving from 8c outside toward 14c. I also experimented with some extra sinks and fan on the back but its not as good as repasting the pads.

100-105 is fine, to be honest ragging the card for the extra 5MH/s isnt worth the temps and making your case a hotbox.

Associate
OP
OK your ready to do the pads if you need to. Only tear into it if you start seeing the mem temps creep to 102. That's what I did till I had to act because the weather was picking up and the ambient was moving from 8c outside toward 14c. I also experimented with some extra sinks and fan on the back but its not as good as repasting the pads.

100-105 is fine, to be honest ragging the card for the extra 5MH/s isnt worth the temps and making your case a hotbox.

Here is an example….

Gaming wise I play Warzone at 4K 120HZ/FPS, the highest my GPU was 63C and VRAM 82C and that’s on the Factory Default fan curve

Soldato
Blimey 80%! What temperatures are you seeing with that?

Its to keep card cool especially when mining ETH. Some people have them in garages or locations where noise isnt an issue. In the summer thats a good speed, I dont run it flat out like that as its in my desktop machine with fan curve so its not that noisy (80% is quite loud actually). But if your one of these folk that wants maximum hashrate and stop it from melting you will need a high fan speed (unless you have legendary airflow or under water cooling).

Associate
OP
Its to keep card cool especially when mining ETH. Some people have them in garages or locations where noise isnt an issue. In the summer thats a good speed, I dont run it flat out like that as its in my desktop machine with fan curve so its not that noisy (80% is quite loud actually). But if your one of these folk that wants maximum hashrate and stop it from melting you will need a high fan speed (unless you have legendary airflow or under water cooling).

I’m currently mining via NiceHash QuickMiner with the below settings:

0.725MV
945 Core
50% Both Fans

Currently getting 100MH/s

Temperatures are as follows:

GPU 53C
Hotspot 65C
VRAM 92-94C

Is that ok considering the settings?

Caporegime
Yeah we were called mugs by a forum member for anyone paying for it.

Few months later, he bought one himself... enough said. :cry: :cool:

Paying for what a 3090?

It depends on how much you paid some were going for up to £2500 at one point I'm sure. If you got an FE then that would be considered a bargain.

Soldato
Paying for what a 3090?

It depends on how much you paid some were going for up to £2500 at one point I'm sure. If you got an FE then that would be considered a bargain.

Yep FE. So £1399. Obviously the onset it was nonsense. But after mining profits exponentiated, people realised it was actually a money printer for some time and paid off rather swiftly no matter what way you cut it.

Caporegime
Yep FE. So £1399. Obviously the onset it was nonsense. But after mining profits exponentiated, people realised it was actually a money printer for some time and paid off rather swiftly no matter what way you cut it.

Nice one. That was a steal if you got one early doors.

When things got really bad I'm sure I saw 3090's being sold by retailers for £2700 at one point. Even the 3080 was £1200 by retailers so the 3090 for £1400 was a steal compared to that.

Back
Top Bottom