Mountain Biking

Soldato
Ultimately dispite what Shimano or Magura say, aslong as you don't put dot fluid in your mineral oil brakes you'll be ok. I've even heard of people using baby oil!

Personally I've only used Shimano oil when I ran Saint brakes and Royal Blood since using Maguras. Don't see why you would need to use other brands unless your in a pinch

Last edited:
Caporegime
How was BPW Begbie?

Class Rhys, so dry and so fast. One of the lads had a massive off on A470, blood soaked top for the rest of the day all down his back. Have you been recently?

Off to Revs next month too.

Ultimately dispite what Shimano or Magura say, aslong as you don't put dot fluid in your mineral oil brakes you'll be ok. I've even heard of people using baby oil!

Personally I've only used Shimano oil when I ran Saint brakes and Royal Blood since using Maguras. Don't see why you would need to use other brands unless your in a pinch

Seth Hacks done it.People were doing it earlier on in the year, using Royal, because there was a lack of the Shimano stuff. Personally I'd do the same, only if I couldn't get a hold of the Shimano stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VIuPiX3CA

Soldato
Class Rhys, so dry and so fast. One of the lads had a massive off on A470, blood soaked top for the rest of the day all down his back. Have you been recently?

Off to Revs next month too.
The week before you I went! Took my brother for the first time who had a nasty off and sliced open his arm amongst other cuts, grazes and bruises! He's only just recovered from it this week! Hadn't been there in years and they've changed a lot since I was there last!

They've got a nice new welcome center where you pick up your passes but still only a 1 man size cafe counter! Trails are brilliant though!

Caporegime
The week before you I went! Took my brother for the first time who had a nasty off and sliced open his arm amongst other cuts, grazes and bruises! He's only just recovered from it this week! Hadn't been there in years and they've changed a lot since I was there last!

They've got a nice new welcome center where you pick up your passes but still only a 1 man size cafe counter! Trails are brilliant though!

Yeah, I don't tend to use the cafe whenever I go. Normally bring a sandwich and quickly stop at the car. Far too expensive to stop for an hour.

Damn, it's not a good place to crash considering the speed you can hold in the dry down there. Especially the blues - most dangerous trails on the hill!

Yeah so many trails now, the uplift was running pretty decent too. Think we got 10 runs in, which isn't bad really.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't know how many of you guys follow ebike tech much but it seems they are basically catering to people who aren't really keen mountain bikers. I've noticed this on the trails as well. 90% of the people I see on ebikes are riding full on enduro ebikes, quite often sitting down the whole time they go up and downhill and they can't handle a bike at all. Perhaps this is because most ebikes are of this ilk and there are only a few lightweight ebikes about. Perhaps its just that most people dropping £6k+ on ebikes have good jobs and less time to ride so their skill level isn't that high.

Watching an EMBN video and it seems most new bikes coming out are just beefy enduro bikes that take any fun out of the trails unless you are a decent rider and you are on good trails. For 90% of the riding around me an enduro bike is massive overkill. Is this just because making a bike that doesn't worry about weight is easy? It it because the main market for ebikes isn't the UK its the US etc and they have more serious terrain than us?

I was really hoping the industry would move more towards things like the Orbea Rise, 16kg shorter travel and lower power machines that ride more like a trail bike. Seems that isn't the case though.

Soldato
I don't know how many of you guys follow ebike tech much but it seems they are basically catering to people who aren't really keen mountain bikers. I've noticed this on the trails as well. 90% of the people I see on ebikes are riding full on enduro ebikes, quite often sitting down the whole time they go up and downhill and they can't handle a bike at all. Perhaps this is because most ebikes are of this ilk and there are only a few lightweight ebikes about. Perhaps its just that most people dropping £6k+ on ebikes have good jobs and less time to ride so their skill level isn't that high.

Watching an EMBN video and it seems most new bikes coming out are just beefy enduro bikes that take any fun out of the trails unless you are a decent rider and you are on good trails. For 90% of the riding around me an enduro bike is massive overkill. Is this just because making a bike that doesn't worry about weight is easy? It it because the main market for ebikes isn't the UK its the US etc and they have more serious terrain than us?

I was really hoping the industry would move more towards things like the Orbea Rise, 16kg shorter travel and lower power machines that ride more like a trail bike. Seems that isn't the case though.

I started looking at them, main reason it would be a bike that would just let me ride faster, or further for a given fitness level.
But as i like building my bikes to my requirements quickly went off them.

Positives
Can use cheaper components as overall weight isn't an issue
Faster or further riding = more fun, but does it.

Negatives
Couldn't find many that are what now gets classed as "downcountry" my take is a lightweight trail bike around 130mm
You cant get frame only (well there is one you can)
Future issues, we all know how batteries in phones are after a year or two
The weight of the bike for things like picking it up over styles and into the car.

Overall when i weigh up that vs what i currently have my eyes on Transition Spur with a 130mm Pike up front, SC Reserve Carbon wheels, Full SRAM AXS, for the same price as a Trek Rail 9. I really don't care how fast I go up hill never have (why I have had my Nomad for so long) but enjoy the downhills and general trails and riding along.
While i have at times made use of the Nomads 160/170mm its less and less these days, main common one is Rivingtons Ice Cream run, with the Spur i imagine id damage something just plowing down there.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I started looking at them, main reason it would be a bike that would just let me ride faster, or further for a given fitness level.
But as i like building my bikes to my requirements quickly went off them.

I would love to be able to buy a frame with motor and battery but I would want a super lightweight one.

Positives
Can use cheaper components as overall weight isn't an issue
Faster or further riding = more fun, but does it.

You burn through components much faster on an ebike. Partly due to the torque and partly because you probably do far more miles than usual. You can probably stick budget, high durability parts on there though as like you say, an extra kg won't make that much difference.

Negatives
Couldn't find many that are what now gets classed as "downcountry" my take is a lightweight trail bike around 130mm
You cant get frame only (well there is one you can)
Future issues, we all know how batteries in phones are after a year or two
The weight of the bike for things like picking it up over styles and into the car.

They don't really have the tech for super lightweight ebikes and when you don't have to do the work to pedal the bike, who cares if its 20kg or 15kg. Seems most people want long range and minimal effort vs shorter range and more rider input. There are only 2 actual lightweight eMTBs on the market from what I can tell. Bosch have just released a new system which isn't backwards compatible at all as well and ****** off a lot of their recent customers who thought they had a current generation system that would be upgradable for years.

Overall when i weigh up that vs what i currently have my eyes on Transition Spur with a 130mm Pike up front, SC Reserve Carbon wheels, Full SRAM AXS, for the same price as a Trek Rail 9. I really don't care how fast I go up hill never have (why I have had my Nomad for so long) but enjoy the downhills and general trails and riding along.
While i have at times made use of the Nomads 160/170mm its less and less these days, main common one is Rivingtons Ice Cream run, with the Spur i imagine id damage something just plowing down there.

The Spur looks like an amazing bike and I would love one. You would be surprised what pretty much any modern trail bike can be subjected to as well. I wouldn't be doing 6ft drops to flat on it but I would happily take a Spur to bike park wales etc.

Associate
I get the appeal of e-bikes but IMO half the reason to get out on a bike is fitness. Obviously there are some who want to ride but simply can't due to age/other reasons and it's a great step for them but for me I want to improve my fitness as well as enjoy pelting down trails.
Guess there's lots of valid points for and against but they aren't for me!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I get the appeal of e-bikes but IMO half the reason to get out on a bike is fitness. Obviously there are some who want to ride but simply can't due to age/other reasons and it's a great step for them but for me I want to improve my fitness as well as enjoy pelting down trails.
Guess there's lots of valid points for and against but they aren't for me!

If you ever want to annoy someone with an eBike just suggest to them that its less work than a normal bike and watch their head explode!

I know that when I am blowing out of my arse and want an easy life I won't be resisting that turbo button. On a normal bike you have no choice. On an eBike an easy life is just a button press away. Thats why I would only ever get one of the lightweight ones that give you 2x assist and weigh much more similar amounts to a normal bike.

Associate
If you ever want to annoy someone with an eBike just suggest to them that its less work than a normal bike and watch their head explode!

I know that when I am blowing out of my arse and want an easy life I won't be resisting that turbo button. On a normal bike you have no choice. On an eBike an easy life is just a button press away. Thats why I would only ever get one of the lightweight ones that give you 2x assist and weigh much more similar amounts to a normal bike.

Ha, well I guess if they aren't using battery power it's going to be harder since the bike is heavier but then they do have the luxury of freewheeling uphill that most of us don't. From what i understand anyway!

Soldato
I would love to be able to buy a frame with motor and battery but I would want a super lightweight one.

You burn through components much faster on an ebike. Partly due to the torque and partly because you probably do far more miles than usual. You can probably stick budget, high durability parts on there though as like you say, an extra kg won't make that much difference.

They don't really have the tech for super lightweight ebikes and when you don't have to do the work to pedal the bike, who cares if its 20kg or 15kg. Seems most people want long range and minimal effort vs shorter range and more rider input. There are only 2 actual lightweight eMTBs on the market from what I can tell. Bosch have just released a new system which isn't backwards compatible at all as well and ****** off a lot of their recent customers who thought they had a current generation system that would be upgradable for years.

The Spur looks like an amazing bike and I would love one. You would be surprised what pretty much any modern trail bike can be subjected to as well. I wouldn't be doing 6ft drops to flat on it but I would happily take a Spur to bike park wales etc.

Yeah saw that new stuff from Bosch, and yet you still cant output the power to a Garmin or similar.

The more i think with my head the more an Ebike isn't for me, i mean my Nomad has lasted me 10 years now, got it in April 2011, and id fully expect what ever i get next to last that long as well. How many batteries would an Ebike chew through in that time i wonder, even the motor, do they even mention service life.
Do see a lot of Ebikes around Rivington though, certainly is a little soul destroying when they fly past you on the uphills.

Man of Honour
Do see a lot of Ebikes around Rivington though, certainly is a little soul destroying when they fly past you on the uphills.

When I took the Druid out on Saturday to Dalby almost every bike I encountered was an E-Bike and they really do fly past you on the up hill forest tacks! I am used to being passed on climbs but not then catching up with people as some cannot sustain that pace on the downs, and on the single track sections its a bit annoying as you catch up but cant get past.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Ha, well I guess if they aren't using battery power it's going to be harder since the bike is heavier but then they do have the luxury of freewheeling uphill that most of us don't. From what i understand anyway!

eBikes are about as worried about running out of battery as people are about running out of petrol in their car. I've heard of people getting to the trail only to realise their battery isn't charged but most eBikers keep a close eye on their bars. Pedalling a 20kg+ bike with motor drag wouldn't be fun!

They still have to rotate the cranks going up hill but its literally just to engage the motor if they choose the right mode. Thats what differentiates between the classes of eBike I believe. Pedal assist puts them in the category of "just a bike" in most places whereas a throttle would put them into "its a motorbike" territory.

How many batteries would an Ebike chew through in that time i wonder, even the motor, do they even mention service life.

Not sure about batteries but I do know that a lot of people have had 2-3 motors replaced under the standard 2 year warranty and a replacement is about £600 I think. You have to think about it as a yearly cost really.

Doesn't really bother me honestly. I think it will do when they are more common than normal bikes because the expectation is that you allow faster people through. Constantly doing that would be annoying.

Was riding the local XC loop the other day and got stuck behind a guy on a £7k eMTB who was slow as hell on the down hill and wouldn't move out of the way and wasn't even quick on the uphill either. Very frustrating.

Soldato
Not sure about batteries but I do know that a lot of people have had 2-3 motors replaced under the standard 2 year warranty and a replacement is about £600 I think. You have to think about it as a yearly cost really.

See that's a silly cost, ive seen the batteries are about £800 as well, i found it funny when they kept saying don't wash your bike upside down as well, because the motor doesn't like water. On a MTB in the UK, seems insane they aren't IP67 or something.

fez

fez

Caporegime
See that's a silly cost, ive seen the batteries are about £800 as well, i found it funny when they kept saying don't wash your bike upside down as well, because the motor doesn't like water. On a MTB in the UK, seems insane they aren't IP67 or something.

I guess its like buying an expensive car. Your service is suddenly £800 instead of £300 because you clearly have money to spend if you can drop £70,000 on a car. Same with eBikes. If you can afford to spend £6-7k on an eBike you can probably afford £500-1000/year on motors/battery upkeep and replacement.

Associate
I had a Vitus Mythique VRX as my first bike last Oct and I sold it for what I paid for it in July this year. While looking for a new bike I was torn between a normal bike or a Ebike and decided to get a Ebike, a Nukeproof Megawatt Comp with a 503wh battery and a EP8 motor with 80nm. I love it, it smashes through everything but you do get range anxiety a lot but i'm used to that now, 30 miles in trail and 50-60 miles in eco. I use turbo every now and again but honestly you dont need it, all in all I think its money well spent.

Associate
I had a Vitus Mythique VRX as my first bike last Oct and I sold it for what I paid for it in July this year. While looking for a new bike I was torn between a normal bike or a Ebike and decided to get a Ebike, a Nukeproof Megawatt Comp with a 503wh battery and a EP8 motor with 80nm. I love it, it smashes through everything but you do get range anxiety a lot but i'm used to that now, 30 miles in trail and 50-60 miles in eco. I use turbo every now and again but honestly you dont need it, all in all I think its money well spent.

How did you find the mythique? I have a sentier VR and kinda wishing i went a bit more and got a full sus now but i guess it gives me an excuse to buy something else once this one is paid up (C2W scheme)

Associate
How did you find the mythique? I have a sentier VR and kinda wishing i went a bit more and got a full sus now but i guess it gives me an excuse to buy something else once this one is paid up (C2W scheme)

Was fantastic around Cannock and my local woods, show it some rough stuff tho and it felt underpowered on the rear suspension. I would still have it now if I didnt get the price I got for it.

Back
Top Bottom