When are you going fully electric?

nam

nam

Soldato
Showing how what should be done? Don’t see anything of note in that at all.

the MCU, can't comment on drive, efficency yet, but having the Google MCU and physical buttons is already a 100% improvement on what VW have done with the ID range

Soldato
AAOS(google mcu?) Meh - it's a bit of a con missing basic apps

... but I learned google/android-automotive as used in polestar 2 and new renault appear to be ***-over customers - I'd thought it was the white hope.
they don't have a usb media player, at all ! just nice nav

https://www.polestar-forum.com/threads/audiowagon-usb-media-player-for-android-automotive-os.3450/

e: watched this too - most apps are individual local radio stations -
I expected a vlc app port, in which you could add whatever radio station URL's you want
Polestar 2 - Which Apps are available for Android Automotive?

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a Model Y on loan for the past couple of days to test out and I've been impressed with the space and drive. I still don't like that everything is controlled from the central screen (it took us longer than we'd like to admit to work out how to get air con to the rear of the car and open the glovebox) but it'd be a great car for getting all the baby things in, especially given that estate options are severely lacking here in the US. There's a surprising amount of leg room and nooks/crannies to fit things in without the usual exhaust system / fuel tank etc. getting in the way.

We drove to Napa Valley and back in ~35 deg C weather, so had the air con all the way there and back. A couple of traffic jams and a slight stop/detour for our daughter to stretch her legs, too. In total, we drove 165 miles and the 'spent miles' on the charge was 180, i.e. around 9-10% over-estimate on charge range. Still, the long range is more than enough for most CA journeys (we are looking at Bay Area and back, around a 190 mile round trip). The main blocker for EV cars here is that most ranges seem to be in the 200-220 mile range, whereas most Teslas now have >300 miles quoted. We would probably have got better range if I didn't test the speed a few times :p

All in all fairly impressed with it, hopefully prices will either stabilise or come down as the lease price today is around $200/mo more than it was only 6 months ago. We'd also definitely need a proper charger on the wall, as charging from a 110 V wall socket is deadly slow (around 5-6 miles charge per hour!).

Soldato
With less than a month to go till we should be getting our car, we're now only looking at home chargers, and honestly I don't know what I need with the options Nissan forwarded us

Car is the Leaf e+ 62kWh

Nissan LEAF Home Charging Point | Pod Point (pod-point.com)
eClick | Electric vehicle charging | E.ON (eonenergy.com)

Do I need universal/Tethered from pod point's options, I'd assume universal would be the better choice?
Do I need anything more than the eBox smart from eon?

What's more than adequate in your opinions? We just want to charge the car lol.

Caporegime

I don't have an electric car myself, so take my opinion with an appropriate pinch, but if you've already got a standard electrical supply somewhere suitable I'm not sure why you'd bother with anything more. A 62kWh will fully charge in 12 hours at 240V. How likely is it that you'll completely drain your battery, come home, and need to go out with maxed out range in less time than that? Assuming a normal use pattern of commuting a shortish distance, popping out to the shops, visiting your friends, etc. on the regular and the occasional longer trip I'm not really seeing the use of getting a full charge in less time than that.

Soldato
With less than a month to go till we should be getting our car, we're now only looking at home chargers, and honestly I don't know what I need with the options Nissan forwarded us

Car is the Leaf e+ 62kWh

Nissan LEAF Home Charging Point | Pod Point (pod-point.com)
eClick | Electric vehicle charging | E.ON (eonenergy.com)

Do I need universal/Tethered from pod point's options, I'd assume universal would be the better choice?
Do I need anything more than the eBox smart from eon?

Universal means you need to plug in your cable every time you charge which is a PITA. I'd go with tethered especially as Type 2 is now universal

Soldato
I don't have an electric car myself, so take my opinion with an appropriate pinch, but if you've already got a standard electrical supply somewhere suitable I'm not sure why you'd bother with anything more. A 62kWh will fully charge in 12 hours at 240V..

What charge rate are you assuming there?! A standard “granny charger” will draw 10A. So 2.3~2.4kW. Will take much longer to fill a leaf.

Caporegime
What charge rate are you assuming there?! A standard “granny charger” will draw 10A. So 2.3~2.4kW. Will take much longer to fill a leaf.

I just took quoted numbers off the internet. But doing some simple calculations shows you're right. Still, I don't actually think it makes that much difference. With regular use, you're not going to be taking much out of the battery, enough that you can get it topped up nicely overnight.

Soldato
It'll be a shared car in the family, at most if I had it Mon-Fri it'll cover 200miles altogether, and then the general run around (shops, meet people etc)....At the moment I WFH a lot so the mileage a week will be nowhere near that figure.

I'm assuming getting a home charger was a thing to do with electric cars, bare in mind this is my first venture into the world of the Electric car so I'm completely newbie to all this.

Soldato
It'll be a shared car in the family, at most if I had it Mon-Fri it'll cover 200miles altogether, and then the general run around (shops, meet people etc)....At the moment I WFH a lot so the mileage a week will be nowhere near that figure.

I'm assuming getting a home charger was a thing to do with electric cars, bare in mind this is my first venture into the world of the Electric car so I'm completely newbie to all this.
Most people install a home charger because it's just much more convenient and safe than using a granny cable.

Given the subsidised cost it's not too much to pay for the faster charging and peace of mind compared to using a wall socket.

Soldato
Most people install a home charger because it's just much more convenient and safe than using a granny cable.

Given the subsidised cost it's not too much to pay for the faster charging and peace of mind compared to using a wall socket.

That's good to know.

So far, if we went pod point, the 7kW tethered will be the one to go for, or Eon will be the boggo standard ebox smart tethered as it states maximum 7.4kW and highly doubt we need the extra bumph that comes with the upgraded chargers.

Anyone got opinions on pod point and eon's offerings?

Soldato
Anyone got opinions on pod point and eon's offerings?

we have a pod point at home. Can’t fault it, had it for approximately one year now and it’s been bullet proof. You must go tethered. When it’s raining you don’t want a dirty cable being taken in and out of the car.

the best looking is the Andersen but it’s a lot more pricey. This would be an option if you have solar, and the zappi charger too

Soldato
we have a pod point at home. Can’t fault it, had it for approximately one year now and it’s been bullet proof. You must go tethered. When it’s raining you don’t want a dirty cable being taken in and out of the car.

the best looking is the Andersen but it’s a lot more pricey. This would be an option if you have solar, and the zappi charger too

I wish we had solar, unfortunately living on the side of a mountain we don't actually get that much sun.

That's one point to the pod point though, Which power rating did you go for may I ask?

Was it this thread we were discussing the risk of full AV picking up the wrong speed signs?

Im just back from a long weekend trip up to Scotland and I noticed my other halfs BMW was constantly picking up the signs that specifically showed slower speeds for larger vehicles as if they applied to the car.

I think they are going to need something a little more high tech in future as these are clearly going to confuse.

I've never noticed this type of sign before and it was 100% confusing the car as to the limit. Obviously it didnt do anything other than make me panic a couple of times that I had missed a limit sign, but for sure in the future the signs could be misinterpreted.

Back
Top Bottom