Show us your kitty cats

Man of Honour
@ljt I am so sorry to hear about Meg and having recently lost Jade I know exactly how you are feeling. You gave her a good life and did the best thing for her when the time was right. I know very well that people saying that doesn't make it any easier but it is the truth and the kindest thing you could have done for her. Now I am tearing up again!!

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm so sorry for your loss. She looks beautiful.

@ljt I am so sorry to hear about Meg and having recently lost Jade I know exactly how you are feeling. You gave her a good life and did the best thing for her when the time was right. I know very well that people saying that doesn't make it any easier but it is the truth and the kindest thing you could have done for her. Now I am tearing up again!!

Thanks guys :)

And yeah @pastymuncher we tried to give them the best life we could, which considering they were both diabetic meant I had to jab both of them twice a day and monitor their blood sugar regularly for around 9 years. Ozzie was just over 16 when he passed last year and Meg was 17 1/2.

As you know from experience you just keep having thoughts like "I wonder what she was thinking when she was being injected", and "I wonder what she thinks of us, does she understand why we did what we did" You still feel so awful for what is essentially booking them in to be killed. Then on the other hand, I know we did the right thing because if we had left her to go naturally, the cancer would have stopped her eating and drinking completely and possibly closed her throat off, which would have been a horrific way to go and one which she didn't deserve.

Associate
Well as per my previous posts, I'm sad to say we had to have Meg put to sleep on Monday afternoon. Last Friday evening she began struggling to eat, her appetite was good, she came up to us at her usual meal times as normal, but the tumour in her mouth/jaw was preventing her from eating properly, so we called the vet and they arranged to come out on the Monday. In the mean time we added water to her food (a soft pate anyway) so she could eat easier, but you could tell it was frustrating her and she'd paw at her mouth after eating :( She got through the weekend and I rushed home from work on Monday to get 10 minutes with her before the vet arrived. Safe to say I was a mess! Thankfully she passed very quickly and is now at peace, although probably now teasing her brother up there somewhere! (We lost Ozzie her brother just over 12 months ago)

Now it feels so strange without her in the house. It'll be the first time in 34 years without a cats in the house.

So rest in peace my beautiful 2;

obF89CE.jpg

0Yf2mMe.jpg

Sorry to hear. Being without cat is always hard. Both looked relaxed cats. Choccie Burmese and whats the "Red"?

Associate
We took on two feral cats 13 years ago, a ginger male and a female moggy. Not had any real health issues with either in the 13 years up until the latest health check from our Medivet surgery. Our male ginger, Garfield, has apparently a heart murmur which could be contributing to a slight weight loss and increased appetite. He’s not really been a big wet food eater until recently and now he eats about 2 pouches a day (which is the recommended amount anyway for a 4Kg cat).

The vet quoted £500+ for an ultrasound scan plus simple blood pressure checks and i’m not sure if it is needed as he seems quite normal to me but the vet has planted that doubt in my wife’s mind that it needs to be done. He is 4.4Kg for a 13 year old cat and is a normal medium build. Does not sleep too much, eats all food ok, drinks water fine, still runs about and his coat is in good condition so i’m wondering if it’s worth spending all this money just to find out nothing.

As they where both feral moggies, we never bothered with pet insurance, giving them a home for the past 13 years has given them a good life which they would not have had.

Soldato
The vet quoted £500+ for an ultrasound scan plus simple blood pressure checks and i’m not sure if it is needed as he seems quite normal to me but the vet has planted that doubt in my wife’s mind that it needs to be done. He is 4.4Kg for a 13 year old cat and is a normal medium build. Does not sleep too much, eats all food ok, drinks water fine, still runs about and his coat is in good condition so i’m wondering if it’s worth spending all this money just to find out nothing.

As they where both feral moggies, we never bothered with pet insurance, giving them a home for the past 13 years has given them a good life which they would not have had.

I may be in a minority but I wouldn't worry with a vet unless there are symptoms.

Associate
I may be in a minority but I wouldn't worry with a vet unless there are symptoms.

Wife is worrying that he is eating more and his weight but i'm more relaxed about it trying to tell her that he is eating more wet food than biscuits now and not anymore than recommended. I think she needs peace of mind from a vet, not from me.

I've been on the pdsa website and they help fund treatment for low paid or people on benefits and whilst I don't fall into this I did get a useful link from their site which for £10 will give us a video appointment with a vet who hopefully can put my wife's mind at ease.

With this in mind i'm now considering insurance for both of them to provide a couple of thousand pounds worth of cover for a year. We always said we would provide them with jabs etc each year and a certain amount of treatment but if it came down to a serious health
issue then we would have to consider the other options.

Back
Top Bottom