iCloud+ and Custom Domains for Email

Soldato
Since I've been given an upgrade to iCloud+, I want iCloud to host my emails that used to be hosted by another webhost. I followed the setup process where you tell iCloud what domain you're going to be using, what the email address you'll be using is, and you verify that email by clicking a link that iCloud sends to it.

Once all that's done, it gives you details of MX record information so that you can update your domain provider, and then presumably your emails go on to iCloud.

What I don't get is, I want my existing emails for that email address to go on to iCloud as well. Does anybody know how to do that? Google search isn't giving me much help.

I was thinking maybe I could get the emails down from iMap in to an outlook ost file and import that, but again, no dice.

Any ideas anybody? Cheers in advance!

K

Soldato
OP
Cheers @Bouton Aide , have an OST file, but can't see where I might import that file within iCloud on web. Do I have to create a iCloud mail profile in outlook as well?!

For something as huge as moving someone's email history, I can't believe Apple haven't thought of this...

Soldato
OP
When I created the account for it, I got asked if it was just me or my family that'd be using it, and my wife is on my family iCloud account, so it automatically asked for email aliases for both of us. I haven't gotten as far as adding additional aliases yet, so not sure on limits.

I got around this weird import problem by adding both email accounts to outlook, exporting one to PST, and then importing to the iCloud one, just using Outlook as an intermediary. Weird that there isn't an alternative considering Outlook isn't free, and I just happen to have a license for it.

Soldato
OP
I have a domain where I only use one email address so I thought I'd give that a try.
iSr6RTR.png

*sigh*
Bummer. What domain registrar is it with? Mine's with Fasthosts, didn't get any problems there, it added it straight away.

Permabanned
Cheers @Bouton Aide , have an OST file, but can't see where I might import that file within iCloud on web. Do I have to create a iCloud mail profile in outlook as well?!

For something as huge as moving someone's email history, I can't believe Apple haven't thought of this...

That's usually how you export/import old email anyway. That's right, you need to connect a mail client to iCloud to import the old existing emails.

Commissario
Bummer. What domain registrar is it with? Mine's with Fasthosts, didn't get any problems there, it added it straight away.

It used to be Vida but now technically it's tsohost. I'd have thought that all it's doing at that stage of the process is checking to make sure it actually exists.

Soldato
OP
I thought £2.50 a month was good value for 200gb for my wife and I, but whacking in this plus throw-away email addresses as well has made it much better value.

Soldato
I didn't know about this and just created a custom email. It took a while for everything to filter through but it was easy enough. I could stop using gmail now...

Soldato
OP
IMAPSync to migrate mail between mailboxes.
Free online version here if it's below 3GB: https://imapsync.lamiral.info/X/

If it's above 3GB then you could run the following on a linux box.
https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync
https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-migrate-mailboxes-easily-with-imapsync-on-centos-7

Thanks for that @On Holiday - I'm not keen on passing credentials in to a random website for the first one, much prefer the transparency of the Github option!

Soldato
Thanks for that @On Holiday - I'm not keen on passing credentials in to a random website for the first one, much prefer the transparency of the Github option!

No worries, totally fair! The lamiral.info site is the author of the imapsync project for what it's worth but yeah, I run imapsync on my own server, far quicker and easier to do a batch of accounts in one go!

Back
Top Bottom