Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I have a 2700k based Unraid server on 24/7, but no graphics card, so I'd guess it pulls well under 90w.

My leccy has been £60/month for the past 2 months, though will go up as it is getting colder and I can start mining again :D

Interestingly I have a Dell T30 with a Xeon 1225 V3 in it and it idles at something like 15w in Windows desktop !! Has no graphics card though

Soldato
It's is staggering how few people actually know how much power their house hold appliances draw, and in turn what they cost to run, it begs the question would they be better served educating themselves about this rather than shopping around for a new energy provider first.

Soldato
It's is staggering how few people actually know how much power their house hold appliances draw, and in turn what they cost to run, it begs the question would they be better served educating themselves about this rather than shopping around for a new energy provider first.
This is one of the few plus points of smart meters currently they at least give you a really strong visual of when your usage goes up and display the actual cost in real time. I’m pretty tight anyway but since getting a smart meter I have been better at turning lights off and made a conscious effort to run the dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. It’s easy to get lazy with these things the lights was purely because in my head they were all LED so not using much but when you see them on a screen it reminds you!

Soldato

All the more reason for tinfoil hat wearers to get smart meters with an IHD so they can see roughly what energy they are using and what the load is at any one point :D

Don
I think I've measured my 3770k (light overclock) with a AMD 290 at about 90w at wall idle in desktop surprisingly high
AMD graphics card idle power improved greatly when they switched to Polaris (RX480 etc), where the card would then only draw ~15W at idle.
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

Interestingly I have a Dell T30 with a Xeon 1225 V3 in it and it idles at something like 15w in Windows desktop !! Has no graphics card though
Haswell based systems (like V3 Xeons) are where a significant drop in idle power happened, as Haswell moved the Voltage regulator on-die, as well as the chipset moving from 65nm to 32nm

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...cpu-in-the-world-unless-youre-a-pc-enthusiast

Soldato

That's certainly my take away from the last few pages.

Soldato
Hmm.. I’ve just started a switch from them which isn’t due to complete until 4th October. This could get interesting…

I'm a day before you! Switching from Green to Sainsburys/Eon on 3rd October.

My switch has all been confirmed by Sainsburys/Eon, so i'm hopeful if they do go under, then the switch can still happen.

Soldato
Just to give you an idea of the movement in the market at the moment. 68000 people started the transfer to EonNext in the last 5 working days...

I can't actually say i'm surprised.

I did just have a quick look through Sainsburys Energy twitter page and you can see the number of people trying to sign up - they all seem to be running into a problem where the system thinks their address doesn't have a gas supply.

Associate
I’d welcome some advice please.

Currently on a Oct fix v41 deal on EON as an ex Npower customer and deal ends end of October so need to sort out something soon. Eon have a variable, 1yr and 2yr fixed offers with the variable being about £30 more a month and the fixed one’s about £50 a month more. Both fixed deals have a zero penalty to leave so wondering if to go for the 1yr fixed or the hold back a couple of weeks?

Did a quote on British Gas and then wanted £80 a month more!

Soldato
Having worked in the retail energy sector for a few years now I am still shocked on a daily basis as to how many people don't know and have no interest in ever knowing how much they spend on fuel. It's horrific!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Having worked in the retail energy sector for a few years now I am still shocked on a daily basis as to how many people don't know and have no interest in ever knowing how much they spend on fuel. It's horrific!

Correct. I used to install metering equipment for domestic then commercial. Then during the smart metering movement people seemed to think it will solve loads of problems.. what is needed is education and changing habits.

Soldato

Its all been dumbed down, comparison sites use ££ per year instead of unit cost, ofgem removed the requirement to show it a few years back and even made it hard to work out what the actual cap is.

In regards to individual device usage is there is a few things to consider.

First I think is the variance from property to property there is things like tapping supplies seemingly common in flats, there is people reporting they move from flat to their own house and suddenly for same usage pattern they have much lower meter readings.

I myself have an issue where my landlord is paying some of my electric bill as I discovered my meter goes up with everything turned off, and instead of getting electricians out to check all the flats he just came to an agreement with me to pay part of the bill. When the switch was flipped on my meter 2 lights went out in a neighbours flat. (this is my complication of moving to smart meter, dont think will ever be resolved so will be resolved when I move)

Smart meters are a step forward, but I feel we should be seeing watt readings on power sockets as a standard thing.

As for kettles they are actually efficient. Heating water in a kettle e.g. to wash up dishes is often more efficient than using a boiler to do the same thing. I found half filling my kettle is optimal as its not heating a full load but also when I drink coffee after coffee, the reboils are fast as the water doesnt fully cool down.

Small ovens are more efficient than larger ones, and microwaves are more efficient than ovens.

I also found using portable heater in my room is more efficient than using my boiler, my boiler is several decades old, and on the rare occasion I need heating, the portable heater has the room up to temp within a few minutes vs needing 1-2 hours on the boiler to do the same thing, plus the boiler is heating rooms I am not using. This is going to be even more paramount given gas is rising faster than electric.

However my boiler is more efficient than using my electric immersion heater for baths.

Soldato
One of my friends received an email from PFP Energy asking them to sign a petition, I wonder if anybody here has too?

Here is the link, with the URL cleaned up:
https://www.change.org/p/government-kwasi-kwarteng-to-resign-from-business-secretary

All Green energy customers got this yesterday, think it's probably a few pages back by now, so good to keep bringing it up.

Correct. I used to install metering equipment for domestic then commercial. Then during the smart metering movement people seemed to think it will solve loads of problems.. what is needed is education and changing habits.

Need some sort of "chu-chingg" sound on IHDs for every pound spent. That'll get people running around switching things off.

Back
Top Bottom