Is it ok to be proud to be white?

Caporegime
It's a language thing. Racists (and we're going a long way back here, slave owners etc) don't care if you're African, African American, or anything inbetween so it's all "black", and that creates a group in itself who can self identify as part of it and create oppositional discourses.

That's my take anyway.

They normally don't care if you're Asian or Eastern European (in this country) either...

Why isn't there a major Asian pride movement in the US? They too (largely Chinese) were used as slave labour and treat absolutely horrendously. Whilst it wasn't on the same scale that makes no difference on a personal level to those that suffered. It still continues to this day.

The UK has a very different and much more positive history with race. Its not been perfect and still isn't but we're pretty close. So again...what have these individuals to be proud about?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Like I said, the vast vast vast majority won't have.

Those that attend the pride events are doing exactly that though.

Pride events are themselves a form of activism, so by attending you are by definition furthering the cause.

Caporegime
Those that attend the pride events are doing exactly that though.

Pride events are themselves a form of activism, so by attending you are by definition furthering the cause.

So then, by your logic, what's wrong with white pride?

Additionally what activism in the UK for black pride? I've already explained the very different history between the UK and US.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

So then, by your logic, what's wrong with white pride?

Ignoring the actual aims of white pride events, if they attend a white pride event that furthers whatever cause they are supposedly fighting for then they have the right to be proud of that.

Additionally what activism in the UK for black pride? I've already explained the very different history between the UK and US.

You yourself said we're not perfect, so do people just stop their activism and say "well, at least it's not as bad as x country"?

Caporegime
Ignoring the actual aims of white pride events, if they attend a white pride event that furthers whatever cause they are supposedly fighting for then they have the right to be proud of that.

You yourself said we're not perfect, so do people just stop their activism and say "well, at least it's not as bad as x country"?

I'm not entirely clear how events highlighting the differences of specific races brings about complete racial unity...infact it seems to be completely the wrong thing to do.

You also seem to be operating under the illusion that the people attending or even hosting these events do it with the aim of fighting for a positive cause. Or that there's even a cause full stop.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm not entirely clear how events highlighting the differences of specific races brings about complete racial unity...infact it seems to be completely the wrong thing to do.

You also seem to be operating under the illusion that the people attending or even hosting these events do it with the aim of fighting for a positive cause. Or that there's even a cause full stop.

Haha, I'm not falling into that trap. I'm not making a judgement on whether a cause is just or not.

My original point was if someone is taking or has taken action themselves and not riding the coat tails of others that have done so. People are justified in taking pride in actions they themselves have taken.

Your original post that I responded to was how people could be be proud of what white culture achieved in the middle ages. My point is what has that got to do with me, apart from happening to have the same colour of skin of the people that actually did the work / made progress?

Caporegime
My point is what has that got to do with me, apart from happening to have the same colour of skin of the people that actually did the work / made progress?

And that's also my point.

If we suddenly start a club to highlight the achievements of white Europeans are we furthering the cause? Additionally, bet it wouldn't go down well!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

And that's also my point.

If we suddenly start a club to highlight the achievements of white Europeans are we furthering the cause? Additionally, bet it wouldn't go down well!

You could be proud of setting up a club to highlight those achievements, but it would be daft to be proud of the achievements themselves because they have nothing to do with you.

Caporegime
You could be proud of setting up a club to highlight those achievements, but it would be daft to be proud of the achievements themselves because they have nothing to do with you.

But again, is that not the same with black pride marches? Black history month? Etc. They celebrate past achievements and cultural influences. I mean what do you think would happen if you dropped a black kid from Reading in the middle of the DRC? He'd have about as much in common with the locals there as I do a llama.

Gay pride is essentially the same. People say it's a demonstration that they're able to openly live their lifestyle etc. Well...yeah. You don't need a big thing to do that, just chuffing do it. Like I say, it's not perfect because there are still people out there that will assault someone just because they're gay but there's also people out there who will kill you just because you're a goth or a Chelsea supporter. The illegality of it is in the past. Do we see Catholic pride parades? Catholicism was illegal too, it was frequently punished with death, nevermind jail time!

Caporegime
To answer the OP. No, how can you be proud about the colour of your skin!?

Dunno, but Google tells me it's legit

Screenshot-20211003-124811-Chrome.jpg

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

But again, is that not the same with black pride marches? Black history month? Etc. They celebrate past achievements and cultural influences. I mean what do you think would happen if you dropped a black kid from Reading in the middle of the DRC? He'd have about as much in common with the locals there as I do a llama.

But black pride marches aren't just a celebration of past struggles, it's a continuation of the struggle. You can be proud for participating in that.

Gay pride is essentially the same. People say it's a demonstration that they're able to openly live their lifestyle etc. Well...yeah. You don't need a big thing to do that, just chuffing do it. Like I say, it's not perfect because there are still people out there that will assault someone just because they're gay but there's also people out there who will kill you just because you're a goth or a Chelsea supporter. The illegality of it is in the past.

See above. There are still plenty of illegal homophobic actions and injustices to fight against, and you can be proud of participating in that fight.

Do we see Catholic pride parades? Catholicism was illegal too, it was frequently punished with death, nevermind jail time!

Hmm, Northern Ireland marching season?

Caporegime
But black pride marches aren't just a celebration of past struggles, it's a continuation of the struggle. You can be proud for participating in that.

See above. There are still plenty of illegal homophobic actions and injustices to fight against, and you can be proud of participating in that fight.

Hmm, Northern Ireland marching season?

What struggles do black people continue to have in the UK? We already know that the most disadvantaged group in the country are young white males from poor backgrounds. All races have equal treatment in law, arguably minorities have more rights. The marches aren't about struggles otherwise they'd be marching for equality for all, regardless or race. As TRM has posted above Black Pride is apparently about celebrating black culture and African heritage, not continuing a struggle.

There are illegal actions and injustices that impact everyone. Just look at the recent announcement of an increase in NI payments. Complete social injustice that impacts the poor the most. Women are discriminated against, men are. There have always been and always will be people who disagree with or favour one group over another whether publicly or privately. I might never want to hire a woman, but if I can always cover that with suggesting a bloke interviewed best...nobody will ever be able to stop me. Well, apart from when companies bring in discriminatory policies (see above).

NI marching season tends to be a display of nationalism rather than religion. That's why you'll find a lot of Union flags flying. It also tends to be the protestants doing the marching. They also officially fall under the guise of remembering specific historic events (Battle of the Boyne being the biggy).

Soldato

Gay pride is essentially the same. People say it's a demonstration that they're able to openly live their lifestyle etc. Well...yeah. You don't need a big thing to do that, just chuffing do it. Like I say, it's not perfect because there are still people out there that will assault someone just because they're gay but there's also people out there who will kill you just because you're a goth or a Chelsea supporter. The illegality of it is in the past. Do we see Catholic pride parades? Catholicism was illegal too, it was frequently punished with death, nevermind jail time!

Who wants to kill someone just for supporting Chelsea?

Soldato
This country has a disgusting history of football violence (really can't believe you're ignorant of this) and multiple English football fans have been killed in Europe (and the UK) in the last decade.
Hey hey hey, don't tar the entire country with that brush! You mean white football fans have a disgusting history of football violence in this country.

Back
Top Bottom