Sony HT A9 impressions?

Associate
Going to be looking to upgrade from my tv speakers pretty soon and was looking around at options. The Samsung q950a was up there as my choice but the HT A9s have gotten extremely good reviews so far. Anyone have this or heard it and can recommend? How does it compare to the q950a for the price difference?
Please no home Cinema enthusiasts telling me that all soundbars are rubbish and not to bother, that part of the decision is made up.
Thanks for any responses!

Soldato
Read the thread on the AVSforum, User's have posted up their experiences. You need to buy the subwoofer separate and more expensive sub is the only one to get. I wrote this in another thread but basically, from what I have read so far, is that

The front speakers can't be too close together.
The rear speakers can't be at the side of the listening area,
The Ceilings can't be too high.

The experience is underwhelming if any of those three things are true. However, outside of those, it's pretty versatile about where you put the speakers.

If you move the speakers or add the subwoofer later, you have to run the whole setup again.

Associate
OP
Read the thread on the AVSforum, User's have posted up their experiences. You need to buy the subwoofer separate and more expensive sub is the only one to get. I wrote this in another thread but basically, from what I have read so far, is that

The front speakers can't be too close together.
The rear speakers can't be at the side of the listening area,
The Ceilings can't be too high.

The experience is underwhelming if any of those three things are true. However, outside of those, it's pretty versatile about where you put the speakers.

If you move the speakers or add the subwoofer later, you have to run the whole setup again.
Thanks yeah had a look through that forum.
Those 3 things seem reasonable, when you say cant be at the side of the listening area do you just mean they need to be situated behind you?
Otherwise all of that seems to make sense!

Soldato
Those 3 things seem reasonable, when you say cant be at the side of the listening area do you just mean they need to be situated behind you?

Yeah, they need to be behind you. It seems there has to be a little bit of distance between the listening position and the speakers.

I don't know how far back they have to be to be at their best.

Associate
OP
Yeah, they need to be behind you. It seems there has to be a little bit of distance between the listening position and the speakers.

I don't know how far back they have to be to be at their best.
Ah ok that makes sense, I was expecting to have to put them behind me and reasonably spaced apart.
I'm coming from tv speakers so I reckon anything would be a massive upgrade haha

Soldato
Ah ok that makes sense, I was expecting to have to put them behind me and reasonably spaced apart.
I'm coming from tv speakers so I reckon anything would be a massive upgrade haha

LOL, that's going to be some change!!

EDIT: If you do buy one, let me know what you think.

Associate
OP
LOL, that's going to be some change!!

EDIT: If you do buy one, let me know what you think.
Yeah really looking forward to it! It'll be a while as I'm waiting to move first, could be a few months so hopefully the HT a9 would have had a couple price cuts by then!
Will do :)

Soldato
Nice! Let me know what you think if you move before me (probably going to happen!)
Why are you interested in it over other options?

The few reviews out there look real good and the price looks good vs the alternative of full separates I was looking at (Yamaha amp & Focal Chora dolby atmos system) so think I'll give this a go. I doubt I will be moving until mid November at the earliest though. Hopefully stock will be decent by then. Planning on order it through a good friend who works at Sony (they get 40% discount on everything bar PlayStation).

If it works out to be good but not great it can move to living room and I'll go with my originally intended system.

Associate
OP
The few reviews out there look real good and the price looks good vs the alternative of full separates I was looking at (Yamaha amp & Focal Chora dolby atmos system) so think I'll give this a go. I doubt I will be moving until mid November at the earliest though. Hopefully stock will be decent by then. Planning on order it through a good friend who works at Sony (they get 40% discount on everything bar PlayStation).

If it works out to be good but not great it can move to living room and I'll go with my originally intended system.
That all sounds fair, pretty much same for me minus the 40% discount.....your friend have any more of those discount codes? ;)
I won't be moving until next year sometime probably so impressions would be appreciated :)

Soldato
This system should be 50% cheaper it's very overpriced

Any new technology always is sadly. Have you had a demo of it? It's one of those things that's definitely going to be improved on and I'm sure will price drop at some stage. The main thing I liked about it was the way the sound moved freely. Rather than it feeling like it's moving from say front chanel to your rear channel, it feels like it glides freely so you can track much easier where the sound moves.

Back
Top Bottom