• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Caporegime
Lol the 3080 doesn't have enough VRAM for 4k ultra and all that crap. This is why FRS UQ is doubling the performance, it allows the 3080 to run under 10Gb of VRAM.
It (FSR) might reduce VRAM usage a little, but the textures will be swapped out for lower quality textures if the graphics card is lacking sufficient video memory. That or min FPS will take a hit a hit too.

Already user reports of this in the field.
ZKHdcwx.png

Soldato
It (FSR) might reduce VRAM usage a little, but the textures will be swapped out for lower quality textures if the graphics card is lacking sufficient video memory. That or min FPS will take a hit a hit too.

Already user reports of this in the field.
ZKHdcwx.png
I guess they'll find some ways around it with an update.

Though by the time this matters much the 4000 series will be out. Hopefully they stick at least 16gb of vram on the 4080, though the price will probably go up a fair bit with it.

Caporegime

3090 benchmark although seems the benchmark isn't very indicative of actual gameplay going by comments.

some 3090 footage but no fps figures here

Be interesting to see some footage of a 3080 with a higher end/new cpu.

Caporegime
It makes a change to see a game with a CPU bottleneck. Most other games are GPU bottlenecked.
Might be advisable to wait and see how it performs with a 5000 series CPU and a 6000 series GPU, with Smart Access Memory enabled.

So far I have only seen results on a Ryzen 3000 series and Intel 9900K with Nvidia GPUs.

Associate
I am still waiting for AMD to send me a key for buying the 5800X almost a year ago lol (I know its because the game got postponed)

It still says "a key will be assigned to you when they become available" when the game launches in 2 days, I guess no pre-load for me :/

Associate
Running out of vram does not cause fps to half like that and be at that kind of low fps the entire time, that's not indicative of vram issues, in my experience when vram is an "issue", you get micro stuttering/frame latency issues and a lower 0.1 and 1% fps margin, not a 30/40+ fps kind of drop at all times unless you can show me another game where this happens?

Guess we'll know for sure once some 3090 etc. footage comes out.

Keep in mind that the consoles are having to turn off ray tracing to keep 4k60 too (and probably not even "native" 4k at all times either).....
Can't you see he is running fine 4K with RT without the HD textures but when he adds the HD textures the FPS is halved? Or he can run fine 4K hd without RT, why the hell will RT take such a big hit on a 3080? The only explanation is that when he enables all the crap in the game, he goes over 10Gb of VRAM. And the fact that FSR UQ gives him 100% of FPS, is another clue for that, there is no way you can get 100% on UQ unless you are bottlenecked somehow at a higher resolution.

Caporegime
I am still waiting for AMD to send me a key for buying the 5800X almost a year ago lol (I know its because the game got postponed)

It still says "a key will be assigned to you when they become available" when the game launches in 2 days, I guess no pre-load for me :/
I've not managed to get a key yet either, so get in line. :p

Can't you see he is running fine 4K with RT without the HD textures but when he adds the HD textures the FPS is halved? Or he can run fine 4K hd without RT, why the hell will RT take such a big hit on a 3080? The only explanation is that when he enables all the crap in the game, he goes over 10Gb of VRAM. And the fact that FSR UQ gives him 100% of FPS, is another clue for that, there is no way you can get 100% on UQ unless you are bottlenecked somehow at a higher resolution.
Yes I saw that. FPS can certainly drop if you don't have enough video memory.

A month? Try 1-3 years.
Should be a few months at most to address the early performance issues.

Bookmark this quote and pull me up on it if I'm wrong. :)

Caporegime
@LtMatt at least Im not the only one, there I would think it's "normal" and they are just taking their time. It's my first Far Cry game so I'm hyped since it looks great.
There's a lot of demand I think, seeing as the game was delayed from the initial launch date.

You never played any of the earlier ones? I started on 3 and loved it, didn't play much of 4, played 5 to death.

5 has been my favourite so far.

Soldato
Snowdrop (The Division games) is the only (half) decent Ubisoft Gfx engine, the ones they use for Far Cry, Watchdogs & AC games are relics and should have been put out to pasture years ago.

Associate
There's a lot of demand I think, seeing as the game was delayed from the initial launch date.

You never played any of the earlier ones? I started on 3 and loved it, didn't play much of 4, played 5 to death.

5 has been my favourite so far.
No Ive never played them before. Always to busy playing FPS or racing games. This one looks great + its free so Im definitely going to try it.

Caporegime

Until we see more results from a variety of hardware, we can't say for sure if vram is the main reason for the substantial drop in perf. though... it might very well be but as already noted by many people, there seems to be quite a few issues with the game as it is (benchmark not reflecting actual gameplay, cpu issue/optimisation etc.) so we'll have to wait and see, that and also see what happens with amd when ray tracing and the hd texture pack is used, they might not have issues with vram side of things but the lack of RT perf./grunt "might" cause issues.

Like I said, in the past when I had vram specific issues, the issues it caused was nothing like what is seen so far here, yes 0.1 and 1% min will be lower and you'll have textures loading or/and frame pacing issues etc. but not a "consistently" lower fps as shown there. Generally any game where ray tracing is enabled even with somewhat limited effects, fps does tank by a good 20/30 fps hence the need for FSR/DLSS

Having said all that, it does seem like this will be the first game where more vram will be better for 4k (without any kind of DLSS/FSR) though (although I suspect for certain other combinations of hardware, sacrifices will have to be made elsewhere i.e. ray tracing)

3090 users might finally have a good reason to justify the extra cost now ;) :p

Back
Top Bottom