*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Now I just keep getting this:

0x800F0830-0x20003 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with and error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation.

I did have secure boot enabled but have since disabled but still the problem happens. Ironically, it gets to 11% installed then rolls back with that error.

I don't want to do a clean install but I do have a spare SSD I could try.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
For those who have used the upgrade utility to update a W10 install to W11 (without doing a clean install): Have you noticed any files missing, software missing or settings being reset?

Nope nothing of that sort observed.

This is why I always disconnect drives on clean/upgrade installs. It's asking for trouble and mistakes can happen. After all, Microsoft has a track record of botching stuff.

I think in this case the issue was the OS drive had multiple partitions and as such Windows has somehow removed the partition but not actually wiped the data off it (what it sounds like). Not sure why it would do that without a prompt of some sort but it may well be because it was a non Windows partition?

Now I just keep getting this:

I did have secure boot enabled but have since disabled but still the problem happens. Ironically, it gets to 11% installed then rolls back with that error.

I don't want to do a clean install but I do have a spare SSD I could try.

Have you checked your installation drive for errors first? It could be getting to that stage before encountering a bad block/sector and throwing the error. Command prompt and then sfc /scannow in the first instance to make sure all Windows files are stable, then a disk scan using the tool from whoever makes your drive (Samsung Magician if it's Samsung etc).

Caporegime
That's what I did, after using Macrium reflect to take an image of W10 just in case.
I have a system tray of icons on each start up of W10 and a lot of software installed.
I was surprised, pleasantly, how quick and simple the change was to W11.
Nothing hasn't worked since and all my settings, files and network access, mapped drives etc are exactly the same.
Nothing reset.

It just worked well for me.

Same here, don't love the new interface though. It just feels like a bad reskin on Windows 10 to me. Not really noticed any substantial difference.

Associate
All done using the in-situ upgrade. No issues and everything seems to be working perfectly! I think the system actually feels a little snappier too. All done inside 30mins! Just running a disk clean up now.

Soldato
I see they still have the annoying bug where it takes my email address before the @ as the username on the PC. On Win10 I used to have to create an offline user, then login on that user to put it right. I forgot on this install and so my user is my email address....ffs!

Associate
First issue I've found - If I use direct mode on my Creative AE 5 the volume slider in Windows or the Creative app does absolutely nothing. In app volume controls do seem to work though in things like Musicbee

Caporegime
So I've been using it most of the day. There are all manner of irks and weird things that I'm encountering. And this is from a clean install.

1) Not being able to expand the taskbar icons into their former label view on Windows 10 is a bummer.
2) YouTube won't play any video higher than 1080p without serious buffering, network speed is apparently only 2600kbps in Stats for Nerds. This is in Edge - haven't tried alternative browser yet but will do now. EDIT: Vivaldi does exactly the same thing but my PS4 can play 4K YouTube with no issues so it's not the network. EDIT 2: Apparently, it's something to do with the Killer network drivers. The Control Centre app installed in the background and enabled "Network Prioritization" or something. Switching this off and it's all back to normal. Sometimes I wish I wish I had a Mac. :(
3) The Xbox app won't play anything from the cloud, crashes immediately during the rocket/setting your game up screen. EDIT 3: And again, this was caused by the Killer trash software. Running perfectly now.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
First issue I've found - If I use direct mode on my Creative AE 5 the volume slider in Windows or the Creative app does absolutely nothing. In app volume controls do seem to work though in things like Musicbee

Surely that's not an issue! That's how it's supposed to work, direct mode. With other stuff like USB DACs that bypass the Windows sound stack too the same is observed. If the Windows volume slider did work then it would mean you weren't in direct mode.

Associate
Why wouldn’t DirectMode allow you to adjust the volume, DirectMode is there to process the signal without additional processing like adding affects? I suspect the volume control is simply a bug and will be addressed with a driver update.

Soldato
Found a small "burp"............

For some reason one of my local hard drives is showing a shortcut icon next to it....

drive-to-go.jpg

deleted the file IconCache.db and restarted the PC but no difference. My other NVME or SSD drives are fine, as are the mapped or network ones.
Nothing in Device Manager or Drive Management to suggest an issue.

Not a biggy, as issues go, just strange that one drive shows a shortcut type icon..?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That isn't a shortcut icon! That icon means there are contents on that drive being shared. I have it too but I have root level share set up as I access both drives from my phone over WiFi too transfer files/media etc. The shortcut icon is a blue arrow pointing upwards.

39EDqAa.jpg

You can see what your drives are sharing using the command prompt line "net share" which will list any shares from any drives.

Permabanned
All righty :D

List of features removed in Windows 11 - Wikipedia

Taskbar[edit]
The following taskbar features have been removed:

• Support for bringing an app into focus by dragging a file to its button[9]
  • Support for moving the taskbar to the top, left, or right of the screen[9]
  • The People button;[1] its
  • The Peek button
  • News and Interests has been succeeded by the "Widgets" panel.
  • All context menu items, excluding a link to its Settings menu.[9]
  • The Network flyout
  • "Some icons in the System Tray," although Microsoft doesn't specify which[1]
  • Support for third-party taskbar components (deskbands)[1]
  • The option to hide or customize individual system tray's icons (Only third-party icons can be hidden or shown)
  • Support for launching another instance of an app via Shift + left click
  • The upward swipe gesture for jumplists
  • Support for showing each instance of an application as a separate button in the taskbar
Start menu[edit]
Some functionality from the Start menu will be removed and replaced with other features.

• Folders and groups[1]
  • Live tiles (the Widgets app provides portions of what the live tiles of Windows 10's bundled apps once provided)[1][8]
  • Pinned apps and sites[1]
  • Recent and pinned files on apps
Windows shell[edit]
The following parts of the Windows shell have been removed:

In addition:

• The touch keyboard no longer docks in screens larger than 18 inches.[1]
  • Windows no longer synchronizes desktop wallpapers across devices with a Microsoft account.[1]
  • Folder previews for images or videos contained in that folder in thumbnail view/large/extra large icon views are removed. The generic folder icon is now shown for any folder containing images or videos.
Bundled apps[edit]
The following apps are no longer bundled with Windows 11:

Quite a long list of things........

gutted they removed OneNote and Cortana. :( Pointless list is pointless.

Soldato
Think I might give it a couple of weeks for a number of bug fixes and drivers to come out, then do a completely fresh install of W11 - rather than a W10 to W11 upgrade.

Soldato
I did a fresh install and have:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.194
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0

Is this the latest/release version? I've been a Window Insider and have been using Windows 11 for a while now and just want to make sure I'm back on the non-insider track.

Back
Top Bottom