*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I installed it this morning and rolled back this afternoon. Just couldn't get on with the taskbar and start menu changes. They seem small things, but the taskbar is pretty much the main way to interact with the OS.

I'll wait a few months until Microsoft bring back the previous options and make the start menu more than just a pinnable search.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I installed it this morning and rolled back this afternoon. Just couldn't get on with the taskbar and start menu changes. They seem small things, but the taskbar is pretty much the main way to interact with the OS.

I'll wait a few months until Microsoft bring back the previous options and make the start menu more than just a pinnable search.

You could have just installed StartIsBack or one of the other alternatives to get the old way back (and much more!).

Permabanned
The question remains - WHY do they introduce changes for the worse?

They didn't learn from the epic fiasco of Windows 8.

I suspect it's to save them a boatload of money on support by giving them a very large get-out-of-jail-free card.

My Ryzen 5 2500U's
Launch Date
10/26/2017

Permabanned
Why would you uninstall because of the taskbar..... Have about 15 most used app pinned....don't need anything else :confused:

Not missed a single thing from 10 so far

New versions of Windows should improve the experience, not make it worse.

If you are fine with removing of features, some other people are not.
People these days are very sensitive to such things.

Microsoft needs to learn, if they can't introduce anything meaningful, then just work on performance updates for the current Windows 10 versions.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Remember the release version of Win10 was similar, missing features from 7 which were then patched back in after a number of updates much later.

Permabanned
New versions of Windows should improve the experience, not make it worse.

If you are fine with removing of features, some other people are not.
People these days are very sensitive to such things.

Microsoft needs to learn, if they can't introduce anything meaningful, then just work on performance updates for the current Windows 10 versions.

What features are you missing the most, I can't think of one I miss. :)

Associate
I'm building my new system next week, I think I will install Windows 10 and update to 11 later on when all the inevitable bugs have been sorted out

Soldato
Not really fussed about Windows 11 as I've been running Linux as my daily driver for about 5 years now. Thought I'd have a laugh though so ran up the compatibility tool on my ageing Intel NUC - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u.../intel-nuc-kit-d54250wyk.html?wapkw=D54250WYK. Failed on the processor check. Downloaded the media creation tool anyway and did a clean install from that. No issues with compatibility noted and it installed quite happily. Still not going back to Winblows, but it's there (mostly gathering dust) in case I happen to need it for something.

Permabanned
So you have not actually used it but are moaning about lack of features? :confused:

All righty :D

List of features removed in Windows 11 - Wikipedia

Taskbar[edit]
The following taskbar features have been removed:

• Support for bringing an app into focus by dragging a file to its button[9]
  • Support for moving the taskbar to the top, left, or right of the screen[9]
  • The People button;[1] its
  • The Peek button
  • News and Interests has been succeeded by the "Widgets" panel.
  • All context menu items, excluding a link to its Settings menu.[9]
  • The Network flyout
  • "Some icons in the System Tray," although Microsoft doesn't specify which[1]
  • Support for third-party taskbar components (deskbands)[1]
  • The option to hide or customize individual system tray's icons (Only third-party icons can be hidden or shown)
  • Support for launching another instance of an app via Shift + left click
  • The upward swipe gesture for jumplists
  • Support for showing each instance of an application as a separate button in the taskbar
Start menu[edit]
Some functionality from the Start menu will be removed and replaced with other features.

• Folders and groups[1]
  • Live tiles (the Widgets app provides portions of what the live tiles of Windows 10's bundled apps once provided)[1][8]
  • Pinned apps and sites[1]
  • Recent and pinned files on apps
Windows shell[edit]
The following parts of the Windows shell have been removed:

In addition:

• The touch keyboard no longer docks in screens larger than 18 inches.[1]
  • Windows no longer synchronizes desktop wallpapers across devices with a Microsoft account.[1]
  • Folder previews for images or videos contained in that folder in thumbnail view/large/extra large icon views are removed. The generic folder icon is now shown for any folder containing images or videos.
Bundled apps[edit]
The following apps are no longer bundled with Windows 11:

Quite a long list of things........

Associate
damn windows 11 upgrade deleted one of my drives.
the partition is gone, now I'm trying to recover it using easeUS partition master but it is taking forever to find the partition id.

is there a quicker app to do this, I can see the files in the deleted partition so there's still hope.

i don't know why it was deleted, it isn't a windows os drive but a separate spare drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
For those who have used the upgrade utility to update a W10 install to W11 (without doing a clean install): Have you noticed any files missing, software missing or settings being reset?

V F

V F

Soldato
damn windows 11 upgrade deleted one of my drives.
the partition is gone, now I'm trying to recover it using easeUS partition master but it is taking forever to find the partition.

is there a quicker app to do this, I can see the files in the deleted partition so there's still hope.

i don't know why it was deleted, it isn't a windows os drive but a separate spare drive.

This is why I always disconnect drives on clean/upgrade installs. It's asking for trouble and mistakes can happen. After all, Microsoft has a track record of botching stuff.

Soldato
For those who have used the upgrade utility to update a W10 install to W11 (without doing a clean install): Have you noticed any files missing, software missing or settings being reset?

That's what I did, after using Macrium reflect to take an image of W10 just in case.
I have a system tray of icons on each start up of W10 and a lot of software installed.
I was surprised, pleasantly, how quick and simple the change was to W11.
Nothing hasn't worked since and all my settings, files and network access, mapped drives etc are exactly the same.
Nothing reset.

It just worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom