Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Thinking about it I might start using Chase for eating and drinking out. It's one of the few things where you don't really need the credit card protection on purchases, and the safety features of the card go so way in protecting from the unlikely chance of skimming etc.

Also much easier to make use of the roundup feature, with bills for food/drink rarely being rounded numbers of 99p, or using gratuity to pay £10.01 on card etc.

Just the faff of manually topping up the account. Still on the fence if it's even worth it.

Soldato
I haven't I just saw an advert for it somewhere and thought I would mention it. Has anyone gone over to it? I just signed up failed verification first time cos I didn't put my middle name down and my passport showed it.

A few people have. I registered, but don't think it's beneficial for me.

19% interest on a debt repayment "not extortionate"? :eek:

To be fair it's no different to a credit card/Paypal and gives you 3 months interest free. Given the ease of using it, it would be a very easy way to defer all your payments by 3 months and then have 2 months living free (kind of) and whacking what you'd normally pay into savings.

Soldato
Great. Good to see more noobs building up credit availability and they will complain when they get caught short and with the current inflation interest rates are about to go through the roof. 1 in 3 Americans has already defaulted over the last year on buy now pay later deals. We will see something similar here no doubt with furlough ending a week or so ago. Keep buying stuff on credit noobs.

FYI I use credit myself but I always put the money to pay it off aside or I know for sure I will have it when it needs paid.

Only going to get worse now that Wallmart and Affirm have teamed up with Target. Don't they already have a deal with Walmart? I noticed their share price jumped on the news.

Soldato
I haven't I just saw an advert for it somewhere and thought I would mention it. Has anyone gone over to it? I just signed up failed verification first time cos I didn't put my middle name down and my passport showed it.

I'm not moving to it from Starling but I got it as a backup for my US holiday next year. Just incase I lose my card or whatever.

Permabanned
Not everyone can afford to have a stash of money. Blimey, you’re sounding like the Tories :p

Well that doesn't make sense though because if they had a stash of money then they wouldn't need credit right? so they wouldn't need to get credit then have to pay it off. If they saved in the first place and not get credit then surely they would have money put away in a stash for a rainy day?

Soldato
Well that doesn't make sense though because if they had a stash of money then they wouldn't need credit right? so they wouldn't need to get credit then have to pay it off. If they saved in the first place and not get credit then surely they would have money put away in a stash for a rainy day?
Credit isn't for people who can't afford stuff. It just provides more flexibility in financing.

Ask any private equity firm - tonnes of cash, but will always load companies with debt.

Soldato
except we all know giving credit to people who can't afford stuff is big interest. :D this stuff is always insured so if people can't pay who wins.
Well if people default on the loan then no one really wins. Certainly not the bank.

The bank want people who can afford credit.

Soldato
Credit isn't for people who can't afford stuff. It just provides more flexibility in financing.

Ask any private equity firm - tonnes of cash, but will always load companies with debt.

That's normally because the income from the company that they've bought services the debt used to buy it and the debt can be used to offset their tax bill.

Back
Top Bottom