Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Currently paying £86pm with Ovo and they are quoting £182pm for 2 years fixed. These kinds of hikes are going to cripple some households.

News of interest hikes now trickling in. Going to be rough times ahead.

Associate
The impact of 2p per unit is much higher than 13p a day. (Extra £45 a year )

The 13p is per unit price rise on the day rate.....huge cost increase.

Just out of interest what is every ones daily electric use in Kw on average.
I use 4kw daily summer months and up to 20 in the winter months daily.

Soldato
So I'm with octopus and just looked at my past bill. SEPTEMBER 6TH - October 6th and according to them we used the most gas and electric on the days through Oct 1st - 6th. The thing is we were on holiday for that week with our hive set to holiday mode and all appliances turned off. Yet on these days according to them we were using more kWh then the days we were home.

How do they come up with these daily figures I'm assuming with our smart meter?

Caporegime

Ah yes, miss read it. Agree mine was 15p all times. Now on cap

Caporegime

12-14kw each month for electric all year round.

I have a gas hob and combo boiler.

Soldato
Finally got the prices from British Gas, now pfp are no longer my provider. My night rate has gone from 10p to nearly 12p which isn't bad. However, the day rate has moved from 12p to nearly 25p! :( Woolly jumpers and no heating it is this winter! Hopefully it won't be a bad winter and in the spring I can look at getting central heating sorted.

Sounds like you are referring to an economy type tariff with cheaper overnight rate? I was with PFP and have not had anything through about what rate I am now going to be on wiuth British Gas. I was with PFP on the standard variable rate.

Soldato
So I'm with octopus and just looked at my past bill. SEPTEMBER 6TH - October 6th and according to them we used the most gas and electric on the days through Oct 1st - 6th. The thing is we were on holiday for that week with our hive set to holiday mode and all appliances turned off. Yet on these days according to them we were using more kWh then the days we were home.

Probably, on the octopus website I have half hourly stats for all the energy I have used.
b4NG1o6.png

And on the new dashboard it shows daily usage for any time period
xLQ7nNA.png

Soldato

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Our half hourly meter reads seem just fine. Maybe you've got squatters :D

Soldato
Sorry if this has been answered already, I've read the last 7/8 pages but couldn't find an answer.

My contract with British Gas is up at the end of the month. I'm currently paying £55 a month on a fixed contract (I don't use much energy). Their quote to go onto a new 2 years fixed contract raises that to about £130. I know energy prices are up but that seems crazy.

What is my best option here? To suck it up?

Caporegime
Sorry if this has been answered already, I've read the last 7/8 pages but couldn't find an answer.

My contract with British Gas is up at the end of the month. I'm currently paying £55 a month on a fixed contract (I don't use much energy). Their quote to go onto a new 2 years fixed contract raises that to about £130. I know energy prices are up but that seems crazy.

What is my best option here? To suck it up?
Yeah. Not much you can do. That's the price rise

Caporegime
Currently paying £86pm with Ovo and they are quoting £182pm for 2 years fixed. These kinds of hikes are going to cripple some households.

News of interest hikes now trickling in. Going to be rough times ahead.

What's the unit price?

I people need to quote units as £pm is no use to others.

Caporegime
Is it likely that not signing up to a new contract will be cheaper? I'm sure I read customers were seeing up to a 30% price rise but this is almost 300%.

If it's variable that's the best you'll get.
If that's a fix, variable is probably better.

Check fixed/vari and the unit cost and report back

Edit. Last bit was mixing posters up

Associate
Sounds like you are referring to an economy type tariff with cheaper overnight rate? I was with PFP and have not had anything through about what rate I am now going to be on wiuth British Gas. I was with PFP on the standard variable rate.

Economy 7 for the storage heaters, yes. Oh british gas have been useless, one text and a letter. No email or any information about prices, I had to go find that out myself.

We'll write to you with the details soon, and you can view all the information on your new tariff, including the standing charge and unit rate, on our Tariff Information Page. Simply enter your postcode, fuel and meter type and select either The People’s Tariff, Price Promise Apr 2022 or <Safeguard PAYG> to see the full details.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/GetAQuote/tariff-information

You should be able to find your new cost above

Back
Top Bottom