• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
The 6700 XT video looks good, but ICDP said it didn't have enough video memory to run 4K max settings as he's using one.

I can't speak to your 3080 TI, but there's plenty of videos up on YouTube showing them at close to maximum video memory capacity so I'm not sure what is happening with your setup.

Example: vgTNclZ.png

Not too long after that screenshots was taken, FPS plummeted to single digits. :p

Both videos are in 1440p not 4K. 12GB of VRAM shouldn’t be a limitation at that resolution yet the 6700XT is using more VRAM than my 3080 Ti and is not stuttering. This indicates the game is not utilising the VRAM on Nvidia cards efficiently.

Regarding the 3080 Ti snapshot, that is allocated vram, not vram used per process. Allocated VRAM is around 11.5GB on my system at 4K but the VRAM usage without FSR never exceeds 10.2GB.

I will share a video showing my 3080 Ti using only 10GB of VRAM in the beach at the start of the game while the 3090 reaches 11.6GB. Both of them are stuttering, the 3090 less so.

Caporegime
Something is definitely of with ray tracing, even when not using hd textures or/and at resolution less than 4k. They just don't look right, almost like it's not rendering/loading properly, could be a combination of things including the texture issues. DF also stated that they didn't look right. Could also just be down to the stupidly low resolution which makes them look a bit naff.

Caporegime
Both videos are in 1440p not 4K. 12GB of VRAM shouldn’t be a limitation at that resolution yet the 6700XT is using more VRAM than my 3080 Ti and is not stuttering. This indicates the game is not utilising the VRAM on Nvidia cards efficiently.

Regarding the 3080 Ti snapshot, that is allocated vram, not vram used per process. Allocated VRAM is around 11.5GB on my system at 4K but the VRAM usage without FSR never exceeds 10.2GB.

I will share a video showing my 3080 Ti using only 10GB of VRAM in the beach at the start of the game while the 3090 reaches 11.6GB. Both of them are stuttering, the 3090 less so.
Hold on, the developer has not said it should work fine at 1440P, that's your assumption. The Ubisoft KB does not explicitly state, it'll work fine at 1440P. It flat out says you need 16GB to use the HD Textures. Perhaps it can use them at lower resolutions with below 16GB, I'm not sure

Granted, the video I referenced was at 4K though my bad. I forgot you are using 1440P. I

I see 11GB dedicated video memory usage (not per process) at the beach too at the start, I'm running 4K Max settings not 1440P. It does climb though after that, but then I have plenty of video memory to spare, you do not.

Per process should not use all 12GB, since it needs to keep some back for the OS and background apps otherwise you'll get a whole host of issues that have been documented. Should you use more than 10.2GB, perhaps but there's probably more to this than meets the eye. To me it looks like a potential driver issue if anything.

EDIT -

Here's a 3090 using up to 12.1 GB per process at the same settings so it seems to contradict what you say above. His memory usage is similar to mine at 4K, but slightly lower. Although, he's not recording at the same time on the same PC.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have zero stuttering on my 3080 @ 3440x1440 maxed out including textures using fsr uq, perf. is very good 90/100+ most of the time with dips to high 60/70s in intense situations, vram usage is around 8-9gb but I do get some texture loading issues as posted in last 2 pages, mainly on my guns and hands.

Far cry new dawn with max settings was pretty much stuck at 9.8gb vram the whole time.

Associate
Hold on, the developer has not said it should work fine at 1440P, that's your assumption. The Ubisoft KB does not explicitly state, it'll work fine at 1440P. It flat out says you need 16GB to use the HD Textures. Perhaps it can use them at lower resolutions with below 16GB, I'm not sure

Granted, the video I referenced was at 4K though my bad. I forgot you are using 1440P. I

I see 11GB dedicated video memory usage (not per process) at the beach too at the start, I'm running 4K Max settings not 1440P. It does climb though after that, but then I have plenty of video memory to spare, you do not.

Per process should not use all 12GB, since it needs to keep some back for the OS and background apps otherwise you'll get a whole host of issues that have been documented. Should you use more than 10.2GB, perhaps but there's probably more to this than meets the eye. To me it looks like a potential driver issue if anything.

EDIT -

Here's a 3090 using up to 12.1 GB per process at the same settings so it seems to contradict what you say above. His memory usage is similar to mine at 4K, but slightly lower. Although, he's not recording at the same time on the same PC.
In the video you linked, the difference between allocated and per process is around 200-300MB only and the allocated vram is crossing 11.0GB.
But on my system with the same settings in the same location, the allocated vram is not crossing 10.9GB and the per process usage is much lower at 9.4GB. That’s a big difference.

The game is not using the entirety of the VRAM available to it even if you consider the allocated memory. It’s still almost 1GB less than the limit.

Associate
doesnt one of the call of duty games have a setting to allow the game to use only 80 or 90% of vram? There will always be a margin unused. Play the game for longer and see if it fills up.

Soldato
OP
doesnt one of the call of duty games have a setting to allow the game to use only 80 or 90% of vram? There will always be a margin unused. Play the game for longer and see if it fills up.

Yes maximum you can select is 90%

games cannot use all your vram because windows and other apps still needs some for itself

Soldato
@LtMatt

My 6700XT with 12GB runs HD textures at 4K better than the 3080 with 10GB. Though I do still get some low res textures on weapons and other items. So neither GPU can hande the HD textures at 4K due to VRAM limitations.

What I will say is that I can see a good difference switching between HD on/off on the 6700XT. Yet the 3080 shows no real difference and I was convinced HD textures were not loading at all. So for me the jury is still out on if it is trully a VRAM issue or a driver/game bug issue.

UdLzhmI.jpg

4WC5ViE.jpg

Soldato
Thanks, looks identical to me.

You must have taken them at exactly the same time or thereabouts.

I just kept pressing the F12 screenshot key and picked the ones that were closest to the screenshots Grim5 linked too. Clearly we have so many "professional" reviewers/streamers who have no idea how to test and verify correctly.

Soldato
@LtMatt

My 6700XT with 12GB runs HD textures at 4K better than the 3080 with 10GB. Though I do still get some low res textures on weapons and other items. So neither GPU can hande the HD textures at 4K due to VRAM limitations.

What I will say is that I can see a good difference switching between HD on/off on the 6700XT. Yet the 3080 shows no real difference and I was convinced HD textures were not loading at all. So for me the jury is still out on if it is trully a VRAM issue or a driver/game bug issue.

UdLzhmI.jpg

4WC5ViE.jpg

Does the game actually look that blurry or is that due to the screenshot/compression?

Associate
The hyperbole on this thread about the 3080 not being able to handle 4k games is funny lol, card runs 99.99% of the games out on the market just fine.

Soldato
The hyperbole on this thread about the 3080 not being able to handle 4k games is funny lol, card runs 99.99% of the games out on the market just fine.

Who said "games" plural and who is focusing on the 3080 specifically? The ironly of someone using hyperbole to give off about alleged hyperbole an a thread focsing on a single specific game.

Associate
Who said "games" plural and who is focusing on the 3080 specifically? The ironly of someone using hyperbole to give off about alleged hyperbole an a thread focsing on a single specific game.

You literally have multiple examples on this very thread about people stating that 10GB VRAM is not good enough for a high end card.

Soldato
You literally have multiple examples on this very thread about people stating that 10GB VRAM is not good enough for a high end card.

Yes, and literally this very thread is focused specifically on a game were 10 or 12GB is demonstrably not enough for HD textures at 4K. So people posting in this thread that, "10GB is not enough for HD textures at 4K", is a 100% factual statement and NOT hyperbole.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It makes sense really as think about it, most of the games tested to date were worked on a few years ago or even worse were just remakes of very old games!

FC6 and more next year will start the release cycle of games made post Turing where all the new bells and whistles will likely expose any VRAM ceilings.

As a couple have highlighted though, PC enables you to drop settings and tinker. Its the MaxAll brigade and the fanboy's that seem to love one upping one another from a brand standpoint that ruins the factual discussions.

Soldato
It makes sense really as think about it, most of the games tested to date were worked on a few years ago or even worse were just remakes of very old games!

FC6 and more next year will start the release cycle of games made post Turing where all the new bells and whistles will likely expose any VRAM ceilings.

As a couple have highlighted though, PC enables you to drop settings and tinker. Its the MaxAll brigade and the fanboy's that seem to love one upping one another from a brand standpoint that ruins the factual discussions.

I would say the jury is still out until we see more games released. What is worth remembering is that AMD designed and supplied the new architecutre for XBOX X and PS5 consoles. Couple that with the fact that Nvidia are historically stingy with VRAM and it could be a more common problem. Maybe AMD are playing silly buggers but a HD texture pack for a vast open world game will take up considerably more VRAM tham a HD texture pack for a linear shooter.

Associate

I'm sure there will be some upcoming games with high VRAM requirements at 4K, but I don't think FC6 is a good example of this - it looks and plays worse than many older games.

Back
Top Bottom