*** Official October 18th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

Soldato
If they bring out a MM.M2/M1X think I’d instantly buy it. Would be awesome.

I’m still on the fence about whether or not to get the new MBP 16 or just stick with my 12.9 M1 iPad.

fez

fez

Caporegime
A 14 may actually be more appealing, in that, I could at least justify the size and weight savings plus it will be considerably cheaper.

Rumours suggest that the 14/16" will be very similar in price which makes complete sense because the likely difference will be the screen alone. On old MBPs the processors available were different I believe along with ports etc.

With the thermal performance of the Arm processors that isn't a problem anymore so I think you will be looking at a few hundred max between 14 and 16".

Soldato
Really want to bite the bullet on one of the new MBP's if the rumors are true. Problem is I sort of want it for gaming as well but having looked at the compatibility is still a little silly! :(

Soldato
Rumours suggest that the 14/16" will be very similar in price which makes complete sense because the likely difference will be the screen alone. On old MBPs the processors available were different I believe along with ports etc.

With the thermal performance of the Arm processors that isn't a problem anymore so I think you will be looking at a few hundred max between 14 and 16".
I certainly wouldn't expect the 14 to be circa £1200 as per the current 13 but I would like to think that a base line model would be maybe £1499.
One of the main differentiators between 13 and 15/16 in the past the dedicated GPU. Possibly a silly question but with the Apple Silicone I assume dedicated GPU's are now officially defunct in MacBooks?

Soldato
Replacement for the 27" iMac with M2 chip.

I'm waiting for this as well, but rumours are that we'll have to wait until next year for that. I'm guessing it will be a 32-inch 6K iMac with M2-generation chip. Hopefully by then we'll see 16-core P core variant.

Any word of new airpod pros?

Latest rumours said we'll see new Airpods, but not Pros which have been postponed until spring 2022.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Its almost definitely going to be M2 and not M1x as its been a whole year since the M1 products were released.

Really looking forward to a 14" MBP, hope it has everything I need and im definitely buying that

Don
I'm just hoping that the pricing is sensible but I'm guessing it won't be.
I bet they keep the current 13" MBP at its current position in the range and then add the 14 and 16 above it for significantly more money.

I'm betting:

13" old M1 Pro starts at £1299
14" new M2 Pro starts at £1849
16" new M2 Pro starts at £2399

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I'm just hoping that the pricing is sensible but I'm guessing it won't be.
I bet they keep the current 13" MBP at its current position in the range and then add the 14 and 16 above it for significantly more money.

I'm betting:

13" old M1 Pro starts at £1299
14" new M2 Pro starts at £1849
16" new M2 Pro starts at £2399

Thats a crazy starting price!

I think the 14" MBP will start at the same price as what the current M1 variant was starting at for the past year

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

This. Why do we even need an M1X chip when they refresh the A ones every year. Why not do new M chips every year as well?

Im pretty sure thats what happening, its going to be the M2. Ill be quite shocked if there is a M1X. Pretty sure the M1X wa only being rumoured for a mid year refresh, like on the imac or something but that never ended up happening so as its been a year its likely a M2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I don't think they'll update the mac mini personally. I've always felt its been held down by Apple and rarely allowed to flourish, and I don't see that changing. I think they'll bring out a larger, more powerful iMac, and potentially a matching 'Mac' arm based desktop .... which will be a crazy price.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

You know this is an Apple event right? :p

I know, but in all honesty id say most of their phone/macbook options have been reasonably priced compared with the market! I cant see such a big jump year on year tbh. Its like the iphone going from 999 to 1500 all of a sudden at base price!

I do wonder if we'll see a mac pro though finally, or an imac pro. From this point on getting a M2/M3 etc for base apple products and M2X/M3X etc for their pro products would be a good way to distinguish, but it all depends on their release cycle which is somewhat erratic

Soldato
I know, but in all honesty id say most of their phone/macbook options have been reasonably priced compared with the market! I cant see such a big jump year on year tbh. Its like the iphone going from 999 to 1500 all of a sudden at base price!

I do wonder if we'll see a mac pro though finally, or an imac pro. From this point on getting a M2/M3 etc for base apple products and M2X/M3X etc for their pro products would be a good way to distinguish, but it all depends on their release cycle which is somewhat erratic

I don’t know if you saw my prediction but I fully expect the M1 MPB to continue as the base tier and the new 14” will replace the higher priced Intel model. I’d also expect the same thing to happen with the Mac Mini and 27” (new 32”?) iMac. That would retire all Intel macs on sale bar the Mac Pro.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I don’t know if you saw my prediction but I fully expect the M1 MPB to continue as the base tier and the new 14” will replace the higher priced Intel model. I’d also expect the same thing to happen with the Mac Mini and 27” (new 32”?) iMac. That would retire all Intel macs on sale bar the Mac Pro.

I can see that happening, but that would just be the equivalent of the last year iphone model becoming their new cheaper option, and Im all for that!

Their current latest ones, with the latest chips will be the bleeding edge and while I see possibly the 2 macbook pro's getting replaced I cant see a new imac coming. I think the imac pro and mac pro are being saved for a little later most likely, maybe for the X chip variant

Soldato
Thats a crazy starting price!

I think the 14" MBP will start at the same price as what the current M1 variant was starting at for the past year

Not a chance. It's Apple :D I'm expecting the 14" to start at $1999 and 16" to start at $2499, so their £ price will be a bit lower. And that's ignoring overpriced SSD/Ram upgrades.

Im pretty sure thats what happening, its going to be the M2. Ill be quite shocked if there is a M1X. Pretty sure the M1X wa only being rumoured for a mid year refresh, like on the imac or something but that never ended up happening so as its been a year its likely a M2.

From what I understand, their plan was to release these mid year, but they were postponed due to supply chain issues. Designing a new SoC is not easy, they can't just swap M1 for M2, it's quite likely that we'll see these with M1X or whatever else they're calling them, i.e. A14-based CPU/GPU uarch rather than A15. Which is a shame as A15 was a big improvement in CPU efficiency and GPU performance. We'll see in a few days.

Agree regarding iMac/Mac Pro, zero controlled leaks or rumours. Those aren't coming this year.

Back
Top Bottom