LG Oled CX 48" Is An Incredible Ultrawide Experience And Here's Why

Associate
Running this monitor at 3840x1600 is a 45" insane ultrawide experience, even better than my old Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ which was one of the best ultra-wides.

You do not even notice the top and bottom of the screen being black as the pixels are off.

To get HDR to work on custom resolutions, you need to use CRU to add the resolution to NVidia control panel.

Why is it the best?

3840x1600p at 45 inches
Amazing PPI for a large display
Gsync or Free-sync
120hz
Oled nothing beats this picture, nothing
1ms
Infinite blacks and contrast

Also, same panel to use PS5 or Series X

Does anyone else run ultra-wide on big TV's?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Amazing PPI? Not really. The same PPI as a 24” 1080p screen. Most modern desktop screens are much better than that nowadays.

not denying it’s a great screen, because it is. And the benefits you list I agree with. but imo it’s not a good desktop monitor choice. Ok if you’re just gaming and watching movies but for other uses it’s not great. Limited stand and adjustments, no DP connection makes usage tricky unless you also have a top end GFX card, burn in concerns, uneven long term OLED degradation (esp if you’re running black bars a lot of the time), annoying ABL feature… to name a few

Associate
OP
Amazing PPI? Not really. The same PPI as a 24” 1080p screen. Most modern desktop screens are much better than that nowadays.

not denying it’s a great screen, because it is. And the benefits you list I agree with. but imo it’s not a good desktop monitor choice. Ok if you’re just gaming and watching movies but for other uses it’s not great. Limited stand and adjustments, no DP connection makes usage tricky unless you also have a top end GFX card, burn in concerns, uneven long term OLED degradation (esp if you’re running black bars a lot of the time), annoying ABL feature… to name a few

It's the same PPI as it would be for 4K at 48" which is good for a big screen, nobody that's interested in big ultrawides or big screens is bother about a 24" monitor, that is tiny.

I'm basically pointing out how good this screen is for ultra-wide, having lots of experience owning ultra-wides like x34, x34P PG35VQ

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's the same PPI as it would be for 4K at 48" which is good for a big screen, nobody that's interested in big ultrawides or big screens is bother about a 24" monitor, that is tiny
Yeah I realise it’s the same PPI. but what I’m saying is that it’s not an “amazing”, or even a “good” PPI. it’s the equivalent of the 24” 1080p in pixel pitch / font size and a way behind high res monitors.

Soldato
Surely if you use it in this resolution for extended periods, you run the risk of very noticeable screen burn since you arent using the top/bottom sections at all?

I'd really like the idea of the upcoming 42" OLED, particularly to run at this res, but I can't see it being good long term!

Caporegime
Surely if you use it in this resolution for extended periods, you run the risk of very noticeable screen burn since you arent using the top/bottom sections at all?

I'd really like the idea of the upcoming 42" OLED, particularly to run at this res, but I can't see it being good long term!

Don't think that really has much of an impact. It's persistently lit pixels that are prone to burn in, not unlit ones.

Man of Honour
I don't think it really works like that. Films regularly have black bars and it's not a common issue.

The big issue is bright static elements (like HUDs in games and logos).

There’s a potential risk of degradation in brightness and colour at different rates if you do it a lot, but unlikely to be a major issue for most users. But if you nearly always have the black bars it could become a concern

Associate
OP
There’s a potential risk of degradation in brightness and colour at different rates if you do it a lot, but unlikely to be a major issue for most users. But if you nearly always have the black bars it could become a concern

You speak like I use the CX purely for PC gaming, Spoiler I don't

I also watch Disney+ Netflix daily PS5 and sometime series X with the kids

Man of Honour
You speak like I use the CX purely for PC gaming, Spoiler I don't

I also watch Disney+ Netflix daily PS5 and sometime series X with the kids
I wasn’t aiming my post at you, I was talking in general about how using it in the way you suggested could be a potential concern to some users in the more extreme cases. And I said that to most people it isn’t likely to be a problem. it was in answer to Minstadave’s and Haggisman’s posts :)

Associate
OP
I wasn’t aiming my post at you, I was talking in general about how using it in the way you suggested could be a potential concern to some users in the more extreme cases. And I said that to most people it isn’t likely to be a problem. it was in answer to Minstadave’s and Haggisman’s posts :)
Oled burn hasn't been a concern on Oled tv's for a couple of years. Far too many measures built in now to protect them, I suggest you do some research on them Via Rtings HDTv etc

Man of Honour
Oled burn hasn't been a concern on Oled tv's for a couple of years. Far too many measures built in now to protect them, I suggest you do some research on them Via Rtings HDTv etc
Ah I see we have someone who doesn’t bother reading posts or replies and just blindly defends their purchase as if it’s some kind of personal attack.

I’m not even taking about burn in above, I’m talking about uneven degradation of the OLED material and pixels over time. But I’ve already said that’s unlikely to affect many use cases.

but burn in and image retention IS still a concern and risk, I suggest maybe you do some reading on the matter….Or don’t bother, you’ve already made your purchase and you won’t hear anything negative about it anyway

Soldato
It even says in the manual that came with my CX that watching content with black bars can lead to burn-in. Hopefully the pixel refresher will take care of it as I play some games at ultra wide myself (3840x1620).

Man of Honour
It even says in the manual that came with my CX that watching content with black bars can lead to burn-in. Hopefully the pixel refresher will take care of it as I play some games at ultra wide myself (3840x1620).
Indeed :) I don’t think it should present a problem for occasional use or certain games, it’s just probably not a good idea to do it regularly

Associate
I agree Supra, it's a fantastic screen and exceptional for ultrawide 3840x1600. I have been using one for a few months and blown away by it. I only game on mine with minimal desktop use and have not encountered any retention or burn-in issues yet.

As long as you mix it up a bit and play games in full screen also then you should be fine. Like you say for the price it blows away and high end IPS or VA panels. Comparing this to my 34" IPS Ultrawide the Ultrawide looks complete pony.

Back
Top Bottom