Faraday key blocking thingy

Soldato
You can get trackers that are backed up with a key fob... Keep the keyfob separate from the main keys. Let the toe rags have the car. Tracker call and ask if its unauthorised use. Then call the police.

Associate
OP
What car is it?

I know my car (New Octavia) has sleep keys but you can also just turn the keyless entry off.

I just turned it off as I've had it on a car before and don't really see the point of it really, pressing a button on the key fob is no hardship.

It's a Peugeot 3008

Associate
It's a Peugeot 3008
If you want to test for sleepy keys, put the key on the floor near the car such that keyless entry works, then lock the car and don't touch the key for a couple of minutes. Then try opening the door on the car without touching the key, if it is a sleepy key the car won't unlock.

Associate
OP
If you want to test for sleepy keys, put the key on the floor near the car such that keyless entry works, then lock the car and don't touch the key for a couple of minutes. Then try opening the door on the car without touching the key, if it is a sleepy key the car won't unlock.

Cheers, will give that a go in a bit

Soldato
It's a Peugeot 3008

After having a look about on google it doesn't look like Peugeot have introduced anything to stop this type of theft.

I'd be getting a bag/box ordered ready for the new car.

Some have mentioned the dealer is able to deactivate the system but who knows?

I wouldn't imagine it's a mega popular car for theft in this country (they tend to go for the high end cars or sport models like the Range Rovers, RS ford's, VW R's, Audi RS etc) but yeah I'd not be overly confident with the security features by the sounds.

Associate
OP

Yay, I have a sleepy key :cool:

I tried a few different times, looks like the key goes to sleep after 2 mins

Soldato
I have a keyless entry car. Always keep keys in my handbag which is kept in a room on the other side of the flat to my car space. Can’t open car with handbag there.

Parents use a small metal tin which was the packaging for a watch.

A customer told me she drove without her keys as in a coat pocket in the hall. Had to get a taxi as unable to start car.

Soldato
I have a keyless entry car. Always keep keys in my handbag which is kept in a room on the other side of the flat to my car space. Can’t open car with handbag there.

That's not as safe as you think. The issue isn't keys being too close to the car and dirty little thieves just opening the door it's that there is equipment out there that let's them scan your house/flat for the key signal and transpond that signal to someone standing at your car so the car thinks the key is right next to it.

Unless you can turn off the keyless entry or your key has a sleep feature you are leaving yourself open to these scum bags.

Associate
I was more thinking if they could copy the signal that allows you to keyless start, if they can get in the car somehow, then they can start the car?
I assume the signal is much weaker for keyless start. I have keyless start and if you step out of the car it complains it lost the key. Hence they shouldn't be able to relay the signal; unless you have the key right next to your door/external wall.

Soldato
I assume the signal is much weaker for keyless start. I have keyless start and if you step out of the car it complains it lost the key. Hence they shouldn't be able to relay the signal; unless you have the key right next to your door/external wall.

How do you think the scum bags start these cars once they gain access to them?

It's not much weaker it's just designed so the system knows the key is in the car before it allows it to start.

Same tech is used as opening the door, they just sit inside the car instead with their equipment and start it.

I've got keyless entry turned off as one barrier and my key sleeps after a little while as the second.

If they really want the thing they will break in I guess.

Back
Top Bottom