• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
2021-10-2116.37.09twi2ij4x.png

Associate
What is the symbology here?

Silicon wafers are gold now?

Gold Ticket?

Owning your own fab is like owning a mint?

When the CPU is new, it is mint?

Gold is great conductor (and unlike silver doesn't tarnish), so you need gold to transfer the heat?

So, we should get some decent leaks now. Can't see everyone obeying the NDA.

Soldato
Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
I thought Rocket Lake was supposed to bring Intel back in to contention?

Does it not? Cinebench and CPU Z numbers look extremely competitive.

as per usual for the last few generations, Intel's turbo pushes the cpu and it's crap architecture right to its max out of the box. Any attempt to overclock it further results in ludicrous numbers. The 12900k boosts to 5ghz out of the box, highest anyone has managed to OC is 5.3ghz but that's not even stable, 5.3ghz is 400w and too much to water cool even. Looks like most people with water cooling will be getting 5.1ghz or 5.2ghz max and I doubt anyone on air cooling wil be able to overclock past 5ghz

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
By the way, Microsoft L3 patch is now live for everyone and AMD W11 chipset driver is live too.

it's recommended that everyone on W11 update and then install the new chipset driver, AMD says it's especially important if you have a CPU with 8+ cores

V F

V F

Soldato
Does it not? Cinebench and CPU Z numbers look extremely competitive.

as per usual for the last few generations, Intel's turbo pushes the cpu and it's crap architecture right to its max out of the box. Any attempt to overclock it further results in ludicrous numbers. The 12900k boosts to 5ghz out of the box, highest anyone has managed to OC is 5.3ghz but that's not even stable, 5.3ghz is 400w and too much to water cool even. Looks like most people with water cooling will be getting 5.1ghz or 5.2ghz max and I doubt anyone on air cooling wil be able to overclock past 5ghz

Toasty.

V F

V F

Soldato
I felt a great disturbance in the semiconductor industry, as if millions of VRM’s suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

:cry::cry::cry:

Seriously though, I'm really curious how this generation of AIOs is going to cope with this. I know my NZXT Z73 was struggling to keep the i9 10900K at 5Ghz below 80C without it sounding like a hovercraft.

Noise aint fun if it means lower temperatures.

Soldato
:cry::cry::cry:

Seriously though, I'm really curious how this generation of AIOs is going to cope with this. I know my NZXT Z73 was struggling to keep the i9 10900K at 5Ghz below 80C without it sounding like a hovercraft.

Noise aint fun if it means lower temperatures.

Maybe Intel will bring back the 2000 watt water chiller :p

But seriously, 3-400 watts is highend custom water cooling. 120.3 60mm rad, 50 watt pump etc. The Asetek AIO have no chance.

Associate
Maybe Intel will bring back the 2000 watt water chiller :p

But seriously, 3-400 watts is highend custom water cooling. 120.3 60mm rad, 50 watt pump etc. The Asetek AIO have no chance.

It makes me even more dubious. My requirements for my next CPU are quite simple. Let me run my games without turning off the VMs....without heating the house.

While I suspect the (near) idle temperature to be quite good, I'm very concerned that GPU+CPU could be a very significant heat source. It's starting to look like 500W+ for the whole system is reasonable.

In my house, that's the most power hungry thing short of the kettle, vacuum cleaner and washer/dryer.

That's not attracting me to this platform. Even if the games kinks are worked out, and it doesn't get hugely confused by games+VMs simultaneously.

Associate
I felt a great disturbance in the semiconductor industry, as if millions of VRM’s suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Motherboard makers will love it. An excuse to stick even more phases and EPS power connectors and heatsinks on their boards.
Top motherboards are already priced 500+. Now the lower tier Z690 will get a big jump in price. Doubt you see many sub 250 boards now, because of DDR5 and Pciex5 and increased power requirements

Its really hard to justify beefy VRM on AM4 boards when even 5950X is limited to 125W.

Associate
Intel's bullishness doesn't extend to their earnings calls?
Seems they'll have
"'performance per watt parity in 2024 and leadership in 2025' (So not sure what Pat was saying about AMD being done in 2022/23?)"

Well, I guess more honest than saying they'll have it next year!

So, IF Intel execute as best as they predict (and none of their division heads would have any interest in telling the CEO that they 100% certain they're ahead of schedule and have no blocker!), and IF the competition executes as badly as Intel hope for, then they've be in a leadership position in 2025?

That's bound to raise the shareprice again then!

Back
Top Bottom