Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Soldato
Total conjecture but the word misfire has been used several times. If Baldwin were unaware or had been informed the gun was unloaded, the director and director of photography may have been asking him to practice scenes for set up purposes and a tragic accident happened which they may have done from the position of him pointing the gun at them.

Soldato
France24 are reporting that the police say the gun had live rounds.

Alec Baldwin was handed what was described as a safe "cold gun" on the set of his movie "Rust", but the prop gun contained live rounds when it was fired, according to details of the police investigation into the fatal shooting released on Friday.

Soldato
haha oh I don't need to smear that website, it does it all on its own. I just went to see the insanity they'd come up with over this shooting considering who pulled the trigger. I wasn't disappointed. I'm sure psychology thesis are being written and that site is the case study.
So it's basically Reddit where you see the same insane ******** whenever someone on the right dies or is involved in something similar? Regardless of a few mental cases posting bizarre stuff there's quite a few questioning basic gun safety when handling firearms that seems to have gone out the window.

Considering Baldwin has made a lot of Twitter posts about accidental shootings where police were involved (and not the 'good' sort) you will get folks that will take pleasure - for want of a better phrase - in this sort of the accident when it's someone they don't like. It happens all the time regardless of political affiliation all over social media, even on these forums. People are fundamentally ****.

Soldato
So it's basically Reddit where you see the same insane ******** whenever someone on the right dies or is involved in something similar? Regardless of a few mental cases posting bizarre stuff there's quite a few questioning basic gun safety when handling firearms that seems to have gone out the window.

Considering Baldwin has made a lot of Twitter posts about accidental shootings where police were involved (and not the 'good' sort) you will get folks that will take pleasure - for want of a better phrase - in this sort of the accident when it's someone they don't like. It happens all the time regardless of political affiliation all over social media, even on these forums. People are fundamentally ****.

Yes but this is nothing like an accidental police shooting. Police are supposed to be highly trained in the use of firearms. The fact that in a lot of the US they are anything but that says more about the terrible standards of their law enforcement training and choice of personal. That is something that should be bought to public attention and ridiculed in an attempt to get it changed. Reports are that he was handed the gun by an assistant director and told it was a "cold gun".

As for the comparison, that website is some of the most insane cognitive dissonance I've ever come across on the internet outside of some religious sites. It is a echo chamber like few others where if you even stray from the party line slightly you are history. At least with Reddit its possible to have an opposing view, try that in there and you are gone. It is a fascinating if not terrifying insight into the MAGA world.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reports are that he was handed the gun by an assistant director and told it was a "cold gun".

I'd take any such report with a pinch of salt considering there is still conflicting talk of which type of gun was being used.

Regardless maybe if he wasn't so anti 2a and gone though basic checks when being handed the gun this could have been avoided. I know of people that will still go though basic checks even if someone does it right in front of them.

Soldato
The first few rules of gun safety are -

1. Always assume the weapon is loaded.
2. Never point the firearm at anyone.
3. Never pull the trigger if the firearm IS pointing at someone.

Whilst it's an extremely rare event, those few very simple rules have been broken and someone has died because of it.

I don't think Baldwin will have to go through a Criminal case but I'm absolutely sure there will be a civil case brought against him.

Soldato
I’ve used and been around firearms for over 40 years and the first rule is YOU check that any gun you touch is unloaded regardless of what someone else tells you.

This goes double if you’re passed a gun by someone else.

I have personally witnessed someone blow a 6 inch deep hole in the dirt just in front of them when they racked the slide and then pulled the trigger of a pump action shotgun that they were passed to have a look at by someone that told them it was empty. The chamber was indeed empty, but the magazine tube had a live round in it. Cycling the action put this round into the chamber and the shotgun fired when the trigger was pulled as the non-automatic safety catch was disengaged.

There was a great deal of swearing involved and the shooter went very pale, put the gun in the ground and walked off to stare into space for a while.

Fortunately, the shooter had been around guns long enough to learn the other vital rule of not pointing a gun in any state at anything you don’t want shot. Ever.

Soldato
As for the comparison, that website is some of the most insane cognitive dissonance I've ever come across on the internet outside of some religious sites. It is a echo chamber like few others where if you even stray from the party line slightly you are history. At least with Reddit its possible to have an opposing view, try that in there and you are gone. It is a fascinating if not terrifying insight into the MAGA world.
Try going onto Reddit and having an opposing few point, see how long you last, it's 100 percent an echo chamber.

Is that site any different to the crazies that permeate Twitter? Take the verified blue checkmark dude from tango's post and his crazy it could have been a maga supporter that did it tweet. Nutters are everywhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Alec Baldwin shooting: Assistant director shouted 'cold gun' before handing actor loaded prop firearm, court documents reveal | Ents & Arts News | Sky News

Alec Baldwin was handed a loaded prop gun by an assistant director who indicated it was safe to use, moments before the actor fatally shot his crew member, according to court documents.

The assistant director shouted "cold gun" before handing him the firearm on the set of the upcoming Western, Rust, a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe court showed.

He did not know the weapon was loaded with live rounds.

The weapon that was fired had been placed on a cart by the film's armorer, along with two other guns.

Feel for everyone involved especially baldwin and the assistant director who handed it to him

seems like gross negligence by the armourer

Caporegime
I’ve used and been around firearms for over 40 years and the first rule is YOU check that any gun you touch is unloaded regardless of what someone else tells you.

I have personally witnessed someone blow a 6 inch deep hole in the dirt just in front of them when they racked the slide and then pulled the trigger of a pump action shotgun that they were passed to have a look at by someone that told them it was empty. The chamber was indeed empty, but the magazine tube had a live round in it. Cycling the action put this round into the chamber and the shotgun fired when the trigger was pulled as the non-automatic safety catch was disengaged.

There was a great deal of swearing involved and the shooter went very pale, put the gun in the ground and walked off to stare into space for a while.

Fortunately, the shooter had been around guns long enough to learn the other vital rule of not pointing a gun in any state at anything you don’t want shot. Ever.

When you posted that I instantly thought of this.

Caporegime

In this scenario though, it is unrealistic to expect the actor to carry out a thorough inspection to make sure it is safe and unloaded too. The responsibility falls on the the prop team and the individual who confirmed it was safe (when it in fact, was not).

Man of Honour
Soldato
Hopefully this will change how it’s done and everyone who is passed a firearm will check and be seen to check it. It needs both the person receiving the firearm and the person handing it over to confirm the recipient has checked it.

Caporegime
The fact is though, this is a very rare event anyway.

1000's of movies have been made between The Crow and this

Stunt men are much more likely to be killed or injured making a movie than actors or production staff.

Back
Top Bottom