Self entitled people

Soldato
You think old people, who have trouble with the rain would be capable of moving fast enough to avoid obstructing the fire exit
I imagine they wouldn’t have much choice if a store full of people all wanted out.
so would you be willing to be criminally liable if the worst case happens?
Who would be criminally liable and criminally liable for what?
All that aside, cheesefest is full of crap. There’s not a store manager on the planet is going to go and tell ~50 (50 my arse!) old folk to sod off out into the rain. The store would be in the local and national press by that evening and the manager would be out of a job at worst or moved to another store at best.

now if walt there had said it was a couple of young ‘uns loitering about at the front doors that would have been more believable but fantasists to tend to reach for the extremes!

Have this all the time. On Wednesday, it was absolutely tipping down with rain and thunderstorms. (Mainly) elderly customers were crowding at the entrance and exit. Store manager came up to them and asked them to leave as they posing as a fire hazard. They all acted like spoilt children. They felt like they should stay until it stopped raining- which was over two hours later.

Open up a bingo hall next door. That will sort the problem out :p

Soldato
I imagine they wouldn’t have much choice if a store full of people all wanted out.
!
Soo close to the right answer. Walk it through step by step.

You say they don't have much choice, is that because people would force them to move by pushing them?

What happens when people start pushing and shoving in crowded situations? People fall over do you agree or disagree?

If people fall over in such situations they will get stomped on which can and has led to serious injury and death. There is a reason why you are not allowed to shout fire in a crowded room.

Now if people die because the fire exit of a store was blocked what do you think would happen to the store owner and any fire wardens that were working at the store at the time?
Do you think they would be held responsible for those deaths due to negligence on their parts?

I just have an issue with the poorly thought out suggestions to such a scenario. Thankfully no deers were harmed or there would be a right **** storm in this thread.

If you wish to discuss the believability of the story that is a different matter

Soldato
What happens when people start pushing and shoving in crowded situations? People fall over do you agree or disagree
Yes, when they’ve nowhere else to go. Not so much when they can just move into the rain. Either way, a crowd of old folk standing in out of the rain is not something any manager is going to go and tell to move on. Stop wasting your energy defending a make believe situation.

Soldato
Yes, when they’ve nowhere else to go. Not so much when they can just move into the rain. Either way, a crowd of old folk standing in out of the rain is not something any manager is going to go and tell to move on. Stop wasting your energy defending a make believe situation.
The idea that people will only fall over when they have nowhere to go is Absolute nonsense and you know it.

I didn't defend anything. I challenged poorly thought out suggestions.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yeah, fires are the first thing I worry about too during heavy rainfall :D

I suspect people would just move away from the building if smoke were billowing out the doors and there was a raging fire inside for some reason.
Incorrect. The more realistic actual reaction is of disbelief.

Shoppers have been known to finish their food when the store is burning down around them (see Woolworths Manchester 1979) or downright ignore the situation in the belief that "someone else must have already reported it".

Fun fact: most people will also leave a building via the same entrance as they came in, even if a fire exit is closer.

Soldato
The idea that people will only fall over when they have nowhere to go is Absolute nonsense and you know it.
poorly worded on my part, the second sentence i thought covered the jist of what i was saying which is that when people have a clear open space to move into the risk of falling over or getting trampled is somewhat mitigated. my apologies for not being clear.
but what is absolute nonsense is believing that 50 or so old folk were blocking the main entrance of a store, and were forced out into the rain. Walt's got what he wanted now, folk talking about his fantasy!! but if you want to get into the real nitty gritty of it we would need all the details of the store and the type of front doors. afaik sliding or revolving doors, which are more often or not the type used in larger stores, cannot be deemed as fire escape doors so standing at the front of a shop front might not always constitute the blocking of a fire escape.
I didn't defend anything.
you did, you're defending the waffle posted by cheesefest.
I challenged poorly thought out suggestions.
what suggestions, the suggestion that is was a made up story? or that no store manager is going to move old folk out into the rain from the front of a store?

Soldato
7-8 years ago, on my day off - there was heavy rain being going on for 4 days. It was late afternoon when most of the elderly have gone home. Two internal manhole covers popped up and water was gushing out. Store had to close to further customers. All the customers were ok in leaving the store, bar one man. Based on what a colleague who was there at the time said to us. This was a man aged late 50s. He refused to leave as haven’t done his shopping yet. He was the most self entitled man colleague has seen. After much arguments with the staff, he finally left.

Soldato
poorly worded on my part, the second sentence i thought covered the jist of what i was saying which is that when people have a clear open space to move into the risk of falling over or getting trampled is somewhat mitigated. my apologies for not being clear.
The risk isn't only to the people at the front but also to the people in the crowd.

As for the rest of your post, you seem emotional and are trying to attribute to me things I didn't say and actions I didn't do. Probably in a ****** attempt at moving the discussion on to another topic.

I haven't commented on whether I believe cheese fest and I find it Ironic that your talking about believing random forum posts when this you lapping up the op post without a lick of thought. Calm yourself dear and stop projecting.

She forgets her mother probably wheeled her about everywhere in her pram when she was a baby, in and out of shops, probably none of which had ‘pram’ access.
People are selfish, self centred, entitled ***** for the most part. So I’m in full agreement with you.

Also let me kill that stupid argument about me believing cheesefest once and for all. I don't believe that at an average size store (not the tiny teco express styles stores) , that enough people would take shelter from the rain at the front entrance to block it.
Do I think a manager would ask people to clear the way at the entrance to the store. Absolutely, there are many reasons to do this not just because it is a fire exit. Would clearing the entrance involve sending people into the rain. It depends.

How flammable is this store!?

What is it "Petrol and candles r us"?
Are fire exits only used when there is a fire?
You do know that the other name for them is the emergency exit.

Also are you seriously suggesting that we should ignore safety protocol if the chance of something happening low?
Let me guess you don't wear a seat belt when you drive because the chances of being in an accident are low.:rolleyes:

History is filled with complacent people like you who got themselves or others killed. Go see the Alec Baldwin situation. My suspicion is someone got complacent and didn't do there checks properly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have this all the time. On Wednesday, it was absolutely tipping down with rain and thunderstorms. (Mainly) elderly customers were crowding at the entrance and exit. Store manager came up to them and asked them to leave as they posing as a fire hazard. They all acted like spoilt children. They felt like they should stay until it stopped raining- which was over two hours later.

Why can’t they shop on a day when it’s not forecasted to rain heavily?

Or do you mean, “Why can’t they shop when it suits me for them to shop?”
Maybe they’d run out, or were running low on certain items and in deciding to stock up, were unaware that they had to clear it with you before going to the supermarket.

Soldato
As for the rest of your post, you seem emotional and are trying to attribute to me things I didn't say and actions I didn't do. Probably in a ****** attempt at moving the discussion on to another topic.
Emotional? How so? What other topic do I want to move on to?
I haven't commented on whether I believe cheese fest and I find it Ironic that your talking about believing random forum posts when this you lapping up the op post without a lick of thought. Calm yourself dear and stop projecting.
What are you talking about?? I ‘lapped’ up the op post without a lick of thought?? You’ll find I thought quite a bit about it and posted accordingly.
As for the rest of your **** posting, jog on you clown. Sitting behind your keyboard trying to be a smart arse. ‘Calm down dear’ :cry::cry: it’s quite funny you think I’m not calm.
It’s quite clear who the emotional one is when you’ve had to result to crap posting and trying to be a smart arse.

Soldato
The correct solution to the rain scenario would be to tell said people in the entrance and exit to at least mill around the shop so they look like they're going to buy something.

Soldato
***SNIP**

A lady was on having a moan about having to drive her 89 year old mother 6 miles to an appointment for a booster, and additionally moaned that there was no step free access.

**SNIP**

The hilarity. I drove myself and my father-in-law about 50 miles (that's one way), to get covid shots. I admit, I could now get a local booster, but that's still a few miles to a pharmacy.

Soldato
Yes, I know exactly what would have happened if there had been an actual fire.

The people milling around the exit would be the first to leave, they’d be straight out the door and certainly not stopping anyone else from leaving.

What do you think they’d have done, stood there and burned?

We see this here. Members message us directly or start a thread in FCD asking us to do something for them. We help them out, normally very quickly and then don’t even get a brief ‘thank you’ in reply. Thankfully it’s not the norm but it’s just rude.

You'd be surprised. Whilst at Uni I worked in a popular, clown fronted restaurant chain. Maintaince had not cleared the roof storm drains and we had a 3 day downpour. Due to the design of the building's roof to hide the extract systems, (crude ASCII drawing -> /|__|\ ) enough water collected to exceed the roof's weight rating and begun to collapse, with water pouring in and destroy the internal ceiling.

We started evacuating but one old muppet initially refused despite ceiling tiles falling around him and all the electrics turned off, on the basis that he's get wet outside.

Back
Top Bottom