Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [22nd - 24th October 2021]

Caporegime
Pep is very much the exception to the rule. It's embarrassing to even compare them at this point.

Using a very reasonable metric, Conte is a far better manager than Ole. And how did Ole do at Cardiff? Oh. That's my point.

I am not comparing them. You are using Conte's previous résumé as a reason to appoint him. I mentioned Guardiola previous Résumé and look at Jose's previous Résumé and what happened there.

Man of Honour
Christ, why would you suggest Giggs. A garbage manager and a terrible person to boot. Great.

I am not comparing them. You are using Conte's previous résumé as a reason to appoint him. I mentioned Guardiola previous Résumé and look at Jose's previous Résumé and what happened there.

It is only an example. There are 100 reasons Conte is better, that is just one of them.

That's not to say he's my first choice, but it's realistic.

That is the Gary Neville argument - look at what happened with Mourinho. Better stop buying good players then too because of what happened with Di Maria. Just get the League 2 English lads in.

Soldato
Why Conte or Zidane? Personally I don't think either of those 2 take you into the next level, Zidane has never taken over a team in man utds position and Conte plays dull, lifeless football. You should be looking at someone like Potter if oleh lasts until the end of the season. You probably won't though as he isn't the right 'optic' for utds board or fans

Caporegime
I don't really see the point in Conte. He's good but we'd have to rebuild from almost square 1. Hell half of the deadwood we got rid of he went and bought! Plus he'd likely just walk out in 2/3 seasons and we're back to square 1 again.

Caporegime
It is only an example. There are 100 reasons Conte is better, that is just one of them.

That's not say he's my first choice, but it's realistic.

The realistic option is finding the next big thing but if I knew who that was then I would also buy next week's Lotto tickets but as you say the only managers available that are even close to level of Klopp and Guardiola is Conte and Zidane.

Man of Honour
Ten Hag seems to be the main fan choice but the Glazers won't know who he is :D

I'm all for appointing a lesser known manager (compared to say Zidane), but the board are less likely to do that. We also need a real sporting director and structure there too.

That said, neither of the above changes the fact Ole is woeful and has to go.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I do love the revisionism of United fans when it comes to Jose vs Ole.

He was at United for 2 years, won the EL, and a domestic cup with a far weaker team than Ole and he spent far less than Ole and yet people lament his time here. Oh and when he finished 2nd he did it with more points than Ole.

If Ole was judged by the standards of any other manager in the league he would be gone.

There must be a manager we can get in until the end of the season who doesn't expect anything more than 7 months and then we go after the best options during those 7 months so the team has a new manager as soon as the season ends.

Soldato
Ten Hag seems to be the main fan choice but the Glazers won't know who he is :D

I'm all for appointing a lesser known manager (compared to say Zidane), but the board are less likely to do that. We also need a real sporting director and structure there too.

That said, neither of the above changes the fact Ole is woeful and has to go.
Ten hag would be my choice aswell

Soldato
I do love the revisionism of United fans when it comes to Jose vs Ole.

He was at United for 2 years, won the EL, and a domestic cup with a far weaker team than Ole and he spent far less than Ole and yet people lament his time here. Oh and when he finished 2nd he did it with more points than Ole.

If Ole was judged by the standards of any other manager in the league he would be gone.

There must be a manager we can get in until the end of the season who doesn't expect anything more than 7 months and then we go after the best options during those 7 months so the team has a new manager as soon as the season ends.
We tried the short term with ollie look were that got us we gave him a contract instead of finding a decent manager

Soldato

Yeah, similar to Hiddink with Chelsea. No long term expectations, just knowing they're coming in to sort things out.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pretty sure Jose spent more...

Jose spent about £363m and Ole has spent about £440. Ole also had a better squad to start with.

I'm not suggesting that Mourinho was a good choice or the right choice but Neville was banging the drum about how bad Jose was yet he compares favourably to Ole in pretty much every area. Obviously the fact he is a toxic **** when things aren't going as he would like is somewhat of an argument against him.

fez

fez

Caporegime
We tried the short term with ollie look were that got us we gave him a contract instead of finding a decent manager

Yeah, this is what happens when your club is run by an utter bunch of plebs. At no point in the last 3 years has anyone outside of United fans said "Ole is a good manager" and yet the club couldn't wait to give him a new contract to reward his rank mediocrity.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The problem is his style of play doesn't really work with some of your big-name players. He'd have to be brave and play the likes of Cavani more.

Yep, and lets be honest, the higher ups who wanted Ronaldo back have probably said "Ronaldo plays every minute he wants to". I think he will ultimately have hastened Oles demise and will cost us for the next 2 seasons. I would drop Ronaldo, use Cavani more and play with Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford rotating those 2 wide position. Use Ronaldo as an impact sub or in the right games.

Man of Honour
People keep talking about Ronaldo but Ronaldo isn't the problem IMO. He's never pressed much and it's not like you have to have a striker that presses to do well.

Aside from that he's the best in the business, he'd be an asset to almost any team.

The fact the team is totally clueless from front to back, in every area, is the issue.

fez

fez

Caporegime
People keep talking about Ronaldo but Ronaldo isn't the problem IMO. He's never pressed much and it's not like you have to have a striker that presses to do well.

Aside from that he's the best in the business, he'd be an asset to almost any team.

The fact the team is totally clueless from front to back, in every area, is the issue.

I think he is part of the issue. He might not be such an issue if you had a good manager who knew how to compensate for him but we don't have that. I still think we would be better off without him regardless of who our manager is.

Soldato

You need a CM, RB and CB at a minimum, possibly even a lb

Back
Top Bottom