• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Soldato
This is demonstrably false. Funny thing is, FC5 + HD txpk actually did start causing problems for GPUs with 8 GB of vram or less too. So of course now with a game pushing more detail, higher res textures for more things, it's going to consume more vram. It's funny to see PC players beg for downgrades to visuals so that their cards play at the highest setting from the jump, instead of being thankful you have something to look forward to when upgrading! It should be no wonder why Crysis had to move to the consoles as well. That spirit of future-proofing & pushing the boundaries has no market on the PC anymore. I wouldn't worry though, I'm sure Ubisoft will fix it for y'all.

Unfortunately so many people disagree with what you say and so many professional reviews say it looks no better. 5:48 in the video you linked even says the same. The HD pack is there because the base game is PS2 level textures in many areas. It's a textures patch at best because the game without it is FC1 in places. No one is begging for visual downgrades. Lets see the first big patch and what it does. If indeed it is as you say where only £1500 cards is where you can properly play PC games - then PC gaming will not last much longer. So to you, FC6 is that much more advanced graphically?

Agreed that the addition of FSR/raytracing tech is in this game is an enhancement and well implemented - but apples to apples comparison with fsr/RT off they don't look any different, not that amount of extra VRAM use different. Guess Ubisoft wont be selling many copies if you need a 16GB card then. 1 there are still after a year barely any cards to be had and 2; the price of them. Won't be many people to bother making games for if that's the case. And by the time they are commonly available this game will be £9.99. We'll all play it then:cry:

Time will tell; either it will take 16GB+ cards to play it (probably 0.001% of PC gamers = low sales)- OR they'll fix it- all they've done is harm their profits as no one will buy a full price game if they 1 cant even buy the astronomically priced gfx cards to play it in the first place.

No AAA games are released these days that are properly optimized, beta testing is done and data collected from early adopters. And to be an early adopter you need to pay full price or get it with an expensive hardware purchase. CP2077 even pulled from the PS5 as it was so far from finished. This is how games are released these days. Don't expect the best optimised experience on release.

Again, time will tell.

Soldato
Hugely overstated issue. Another thing is, that a RTX 3070 with 10GB of GDDR6 or 6X VRAM (rather than 8GB) would probably benefit more than a RTX 3080 with 12GB, vs 10GB (at 4K resolution).

Don't be a sucker, pay attention to Nvidia's marketing game. On the other hand, many of these leaks about card variants have been wrong before, so I'm gonna ignore it for now.

I agree that you will likely need more than 10GB of VRAM for resolutions with 16 or 32 million pixels, instead of approx. 8m.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hugely overstated issue. Another thing is, that a RTX 3070 with 10GB of GDDR6 or 6X VRAM (rather than 8GB) would probably benefit more than a RTX 3080 with 12GB, vs 10GB (at 4K resolution).

Don't be a sucker, pay attention to Nvidia's marketing game. On the other hand, many of these leaks about card variants have been wrong before, so I'm gonna ignore it for now.

I agree that you will likely need more than 10GB of VRAM for resolutions with 16 or 32 million pixels, instead of approx. 8m.

A 3080 is much faster than a 3070. At 4K it's a blood bath when compared. A 3080 is in a different league than a 3070.

It's the 3090 and 3080 that have similar performance, but again the 3090 is the fastest card out there with 24GB VRAM.

Associate
A 3080 is much faster than a 3070. At 4K it's a blood bath when compared. A 3080 is in a different league than a 3070.

It's the 3090 and 3080 that have similar performance, but again the 3090 is the fastest card out there with 24GB VRAM.

You nailed it on the head with this! Wish the 3080 had 12GB as 10GB is literally at the edge for me on 3840X1600 on my AW3821DW UW!

Soldato
@Sarge2255 - What does that have to do with the current VRAM amounts of the 3070 and 3080 though?

Remember the RTX 2080 TI had 11GB and was very similar in performance to the RTX 3070 (where VRAM consumption isn't an issue).

They can't produce enough RTX 3080s, production of RTX 3070s (GA104 rather than the GA102 die) has been much greater.

Assuming that Intel's new GPUs will have upto 16GB of VRAM, and perform similarly to a RTX 3060 TI or 3070, I consider a VRAM upgrade of the RTX 3070 more likely.

Last edited:
Permabanned
@Sarge2255 - What does that have to do with the current VRAM amounts of the 3070 and 3080 though?

Remember the RTX 2080 TI had 11GB and was very similar in performance to the RTX 3070 (where VRAM consumption isn't an issue).

They can't produce enough RTX 3080s, production of RTX 3070s (GA104 rather than the GA102 die) has been much greater.

Assuming that Intel's new GPUs will have upto 16GB of VRAM, and perform similarly to a RTX 3060 TI or 3070, I consider a VRAM upgrade of the RTX 3070 more likely.

Just saying that a 3070 with 8GB, 10GB or even 12GB VRAM will always perform worse than a 3080 with 10GB VRAM in games. At 4K max settings it would be a bloodbath comparing the 3070 to a 3080 in any game.

If a gamer is looking for large amounts of VRAM, I would say get a 3080 Ti, there're plenty available before they get sold out.

I get you but don't believe that there aren't enough, as it's all Nvidia marketing to sell products for more money, click the link to buy as many 3080GPUs as you like.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=3080ti

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just saying that a 3070 with 8GB, 10GB or even 12GB VRAM will always perform worse than a 3080 with 10GB VRAM in games. At 4K max settings it would be a bloodbath comparing the 3070 to a 3080 in any game.

If a gamer is looking for large amounts of VRAM, I would say get a 3080 Ti, there're plenty available before they get sold out.

I get you but don't believe that there aren't enough, as it's all Nvidia marketing to sell products for more money, click the link to buy as many 3080GPUs as you like.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=3080ti
There is a reason there are plenty available before they get sold out.

Might as well get a 3090 if paying 3080 Ti looney price imo. Had they hit £799 or 899 even would have been ok. £400 more than a 3080? Not worth it at all imo. Next gen cards being only likely a year away better of getting a 3080 and upgrading that at the launch of new cards. Or go yolo and get a 3090.

Associate
So seems the game is buggy, as event without HD Texture pack the game should not have such crappy textures. Why does every other game manage to make textures work with 10GB and this game you need 16GB otherwise it looks like crap? Standard textures should still look good like other games.

I played Cyberpunk 2077 on release and the bugs I remember were the t-pose happing to a npc once and happened to my character when riding the bike. Oh and the famous trees bending which was actually fun. But apart from that it worked and looked fantastic. Far Cry 6 seems to be in worse condition to me, difference is this one was not hyped.

I think they just rushed it to get it out in time for the Christmas season.

Associate
Marvels Guardians of the Halaxy only needs 10GB as peak VRAM usage is just 9GB. The 3080 VRAM is adequate for 4K but not for AMD sponsored games.

Soldato
I read reviews claiming Far Cry 6 is not as good as previous games , and rated it 6.5 out of 10.
To the contrary, it's the best of the series, they've polished up the experience to perfection and has the best gameplay yet. For people who love Far Cry games it's great, for those who never did then no - it's more of the same formula.

Marvels Guardians of the Halaxy only needs 10GB as peak VRAM usage is just 9GB. The 3080 VRAM is adequate for 4K but not for AMD sponsored games.
Do you think it's the sponsorship that makes the difference or that GotG is a linear, corridor-levels RPG?

Permabanned
will rtox 3080 handle starfield ok? what u think:? or will it be ok with future gta 6 and elder scroll 6? how many fps what resolution what kind of texture quality will it be able to produce and handle in those games? jus curious

i know that most of you rich folk will move on to nextgen better gpu stuff when those times comes but there will be people who would like to stick with what they have

Soldato

It's a bit to soon to put forth a claim like that, blaming the sponsorship. When you have 2-3 games behaving like that which is also sponsored by AMD then maybe you can start building your case in support of your claim. 1 game is certainly not enough.

Soldato
will rtox 3080 handle starfield ok? what u think:? or will it be ok with future gta 6 and elder scroll 6? how many fps what resolution what kind of texture quality will it be able to produce and handle in those games? jus curious

i know that most of you rich folk will move on to nextgen better gpu stuff when those times comes but there will be people who would like to stick with what they have
Starfield is probably fine (1440p 60fps or better), the footage they showed was running from an RTX 2080 (Super?) afaik. The rest is unknowable, GTA 6 is too far into the future, and Elder Scrolls 6 might not even come out this generation at all (they didn't even do pre-production I heard, so that means it's 5-6 years away at a minimum).

Associate
It's a bit to soon to put forth a claim like that, blaming the sponsorship. When you have 2-3 games behaving like that which is also sponsored by AMD then maybe you can start building your case in support of your claim. 1 game is certainly not enough.
See RE Village. Needs more than 12GB of VRAM with the high textures. Also see AC Valhalla. NVIDIA's performance in this game is abysmal as the 6800XT outperforms an RTX 3090 and a 3080 performs on par with a 6800.

Associate

The 3080 will be fine for 1440p high FPS gaming for several years, but it will depend on whether we see a continuation of unfinished games. I'd image that GTA6 and ES6 will use VRAM more effectively as they're more reliable franchises.

The 10GB debate is mostly nonsense from a niche userbase. Honestly, if you want reliable, maxed out, consistent FPS at 4K, you should be looking at a 3090 or 6900XT; anything else and there will be compromises.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
See RE Village. Needs more than 12GB of VRAM with the high textures. Also see AC Valhalla. NVIDIA's performance in this game is abysmal as the 6800XT outperforms an RTX 3090 and a 3080 performs on par with a 6800.
I played that on my 3080 maxed out (minus crappy settings like dog, motion blur etc) and apart from one bug which turned out to be a drm one it run smoothly for me. I might play it again in a few month time on my 3070, will see how it goes.

Associate
GTA6 and ES6 might come out in 2023-2024 :D, so by that time, I presume they will need 10Gb+ texture on 4K resolution.
HZeroDawn already consumes for me around 10.7Gb of memory at Ultimate Settings :D

Back
Top Bottom