1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Grim5, 13 Oct 2021.

1. Joxeon

Sgarrista

Would you prefer a 6700XT or a 3060 then as that's about all you'll get with more VRAM for the price of the cheapest 3080?

2. TNA

Capodecina

If you want or need more vram than get a 3090, you will have plenty then. But not everyone wants to pay silly monies, hence it made a lot of sense from many points of view to go 10gb and hit that price point which made the 3080 such a sought after popular card.

But why do that? Just sell and upgrade to a 4070 or 4080 next year. Those will have at least 16GB and you will have latest gear. If you can’t afford that then you will never have been able to afford a 3080 performance card with more than 10gb vram in the first place.

3. lnoton

Mobster

Oh I'll upgrade if I need to. Won't be next year though, as I doubt I would need to. Just drop a setting if needs be and sorted.

4. dualsense1673

Perma Banned

i dont understand this logic. some people may collect money over time just to buy a specific GPU, rightfully so, they may target a specific 1440p resolution and higher useful lifetime out of a gpu, for example a gtx 1080 at 1440p. that lasted gracefully 5 years. yet you keep telling people to upgrade every year. not everyone have to. it does not mean they can comfortably afford something

5. Sarge2255

Perma Banned

So
    So you haven't been reading posts. 4 series cards are like 12 months away and might cost a kidney and might be just as hard to get as 3 series cards. No one really knows .

6. dualsense1673

Perma Banned

no we should instead keep feeding the whole bitcoing machine. by this rate, prices will inflate so much that you will get a gpu for 5000 dollars, and then mine back 5000 dollars in 1 years, so its justified :confused:

the whole reason stocks are not ample is because you can practically mine back the cost within 1-1.5 year. that's the whole reason the system works to begin with. but you cannot expect everyone to mine. thats simple. some peopple just want a gaming gpu and just game on it and maybe use it for 3-5 years in some cases

7. Sarge2255

Perma Banned

The reason is because scalpers are buying up all the stock and listing it on auction sites and there is a chip shortage Look at FE cards end up on auction sites. There are plenty of GPU'S, but there are being scalped on these sites.

8. SeeNoWeevil

Gangster

This thread is absolutely bizarre. So many people mad they didn't get that £650 3080 last year.

9. EastCoastHandle

Mobster

It's not like we ignored this. We did discuss/debate that this was a possibility.

I might try the HD texture pack in Vanguard just for giggles though.

So we are looking at the following games that require more then traditional vram requirements:
    Far Cry 6
    COD Vanguard
    Horizon 5

Am I missing any other games?

10. TNA

Capodecina

Well he does not seem to be interested for starters. I also can’t see how availability will be much worse than this time. What exactly are you reading that indicates that it will? Let’s see how long it takes me to secure an fe card when the supers release in January ;)

11. Poneros

Soldato

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Forz...-Test-Steam-Systemanforderungen-1382783/4/#a1

Very good CPU performance with RDNA 2 as usual too:
    [​IMG]

12. Nexus18

Caporegime

Yup as expected, it performs better on amd gpus, been that way for the last few games now, very well optimised game on the whole though.

Be good to see some side by side comparisons of a 3080vs 6800xt as all the footage I've seen on youtube looks good to me and not seen it really pushing vram beyond 9-10GB (with 3090) at most:

Interesting comments on how nvidia make better/more efficient use of their vram than amd though.

They should have showed some graphs of frame latency etc. if it does in fact cause any issues.

Wonder what the patch from microsoft will do.

13. lnoton

Mobster

And trying to make them feel better paying in some cases 800-1200 more for a smidge of extra performance and the ram that might be helpful in a few games at 4k over the next few years.

Yup sad, I agree.

14. Sarge2255

Perma Banned

This game does not look Next Gen to me?

15. Diagro

Sgarrista

Lol. Just lol

16. The Old School Gamer

Wise Guy

I am quite interested in the RTX 3070 Ti 16Gb variant to be honest.
    To the point where I may sell off my RTX 3070 TUF in early December to drum up some funds ready.
    Bare in mind I'm gaming on a RTX 3080 Ti Strix... so this is my spare backup card I'm talking about.

Availability and pricing is a concern though.
    As I bet it will be just shocking :eek: on both scores.

17. gpuerrilla

Capodecina

Interesting, so you have an awesome card then a spare backup lol. I am interested too are they making FE or just AIB only?

18. Sarge2255

Perma Banned

This is what I almost always see in games, I put it on ultra and it uses small VRAM, over kill, waste.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Nov 2021
  19. Twinz

Wise Guy

This market kind of makes having backup equipment a reasonable idea.

It's not as bad as it was months ago, but there was a time when having money, or even having a warranty, couldn't guarantee the ability to replace a GPU if it failed.