Man Of Medan

Soldato
Hi All,

Well, I finally got round to finishing this over the weekend and although I enjoyed it I didn't find it captivating as Until Dawn. I did find It short which was pretty disappointing and often found myself wondering how I got someone killed even though I thought that the options I chose suited the character traits and often found the deaths out of my hands. I might give it another play through to see if I get any better results (all died apart from Fliss) but I might just see if there are any Youtube videos to satisfy. Some of the QTE parts came out of nowhere and did not appear to be well defined enough to stop me from failing it, one point was in an action scene that was press X press O and then out of nowhere I got a mash square in a VERY short window and failed it as I didn't realise it had changed from one to another, but I did do most of them but still resulted in a death.

Anyway, I look forward to Little Hope and "Hope" they flesh it out a bit and trim out some of the ambiguous parts.

Associate
Hi All,

Well, I finally got round to finishing this over the weekend and although I enjoyed it I didn't find it captivating as Until Dawn. I did find It short which was pretty disappointing and often found myself wondering how I got someone killed even though I thought that the options I chose suited the character traits and often found the deaths out of my hands. I might give it another play through to see if I get any better results (all died apart from Fliss) but I might just see if there are any Youtube videos to satisfy. Some of the QTE parts came out of nowhere and did not appear to be well defined enough to stop me from failing it, one point was in an action scene that was press X press O and then out of nowhere I got a mash square in a VERY short window and failed it as I didn't realise it had changed from one to another, but I did do most of them but still resulted in a death.

Anyway, I look forward to Little Hope and "Hope" they flesh it out a bit and trim out some of the ambiguous parts.

Pretty much agree with what you have said. Not as good as Until Dawn.

I haz 4090!
Don
Bit of a thread bump but I started playing this over the weekend after picking it up cheaply. I'm a couple of hours into it so far and quite enjoying it, but it's nowhere near as good as Until Dawn. Happy at the price point I paid though (£7). I'll play through the rest of them if I can grab them for a similar price - I don't mind waiting a while for the new one to drop in price.

Soldato
I've had my eye on these since the first one but never quite been compelled enough to pick them up yet. I've heard quite a lot of good things about House of Ashes though so I might get started soon. For some reason I just assumed the latest one would be the last in the series but I see there's at least one or two more coming.

Soldato
Haven't really been aware of what it's about until now. I see it on sale a lot. Didn't realise it was from the Until Dawn team. I loved that game and jump scare games in general so I'll keep my eye on it properly in the future.

Or looking at Wikipedia I might wait for the 4th game and buy it as a complete first season.

The series is planned to consist of eight games, of which three have been published. The fourth game, The Devil in Me, will serve as the finale of the series' first "season"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Pictures_Anthology

Soldato
OP
I thought Man of Medan was ok but didn’t play little hope. House of ashes looks ok tho and the seem to be dialling in the sense of dread and tense atmosphere.

I haz 4090!
Don
Man of Medan was ok, well worth playing. Until Dawn was on another level though for me and a lot scarier.

That's my feelings so far. Decent but a mile away from Until Dawn. That was backed by Sonys megabucks though so, I'm not too disappointed.

I can't wait for work to finish so I can crack on though. :D

I haz 4090!
Don
Managed to squeeze in another hour on this last night. I'm still enjoying it, but they went WAY OTT on the jump scares in this one. I really hate when companies do that - it's so cheap and they aren't frightening at all. I'm exploring the ship at the moment and they're basically everywhere you look. I much prefer psychological horror, where your surroundings and the atmosphere itself is scary.

Man of Honour
Bit of a thread bump but I started playing this over the weekend after picking it up cheaply. I'm a couple of hours into it so far and quite enjoying it, but it's nowhere near as good as Until Dawn. Happy at the price point I paid though (£7). I'll play through the rest of them if I can grab them for a similar price - I don't mind waiting a while for the new one to drop in price.

It has to be played in asymmetric coop to appreciate the genius of the game. It's really a very poor single player experience in comparison.

I haz 4090!
Don
It has to be played in asymmetric coop to appreciate the genius of the game. It's really a very poor single player experience in comparison.

That's a really good point. I'm going to put the feelers out and see if anyone wants to play through it with me, I can imagine that being fun.

Man of Honour
That's a really good point. I'm going to put the feelers out and see if anyone wants to play through it with me, I can imagine that being fun.

There were many moments where my coop partner and I had different information and we had to work out under a time pressure what was really going on to make the right decisions. I can't say what these moments were without spoiling the game but we still talk about them months later.

It was tense stuff, with frantic and broken communication between us. That game in coop has 3 of my top 10 moments in all of video games, but in single player it had zero. It should have been forced coop just like A Way Out, as you experience probably 20-30% of the game in single player or couch coop (passing around a controller).

Back
Top Bottom