Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Caporegime
Typical 'things are not what they used to be' rubbish, this thread.

Driving standards in the UK are really very good - something which can be seen in our accident statistics which are amongst the best on the planet. Don't let the paranoid dashcam generation who think every journey is another cash for crash scam waiting to happen convince you otherwise.

Most of us don't realise how lucky we are - we have a well built, well laid out high quality road network with excellent signage and generally high standards of driving. The fact that every UK dashcam compilation is 80% people in the wrong lane shows that so little noteworthy happens on our roads that that is what passes for unusual driving.

You know whatthey say about statistics...

Keep in mind fatality and serious injury rates are impacted by a number of factors.
In this country we tend to drive newer cars, this tends to mean they're safer. The average age is only something like 7 years old.
On top of that we have good road layouts and maintenance. We're often a world leader in terms of road safety development, although it doesn't always go to plan (I'm looking at you Smart motorways).
We have annual statutory vehicle safety testing.
Loads of urban traffic so people only hit a maximum speed of like...3mph.
Good vehicle and pedestrian segregation.
Reasonably robust driving laws and regulations.

Those things combined can help to lower deaths and injuries in spite of crap driving.

Soldato
People that drive into a parking bay so one wheel is in the neighbouring space or awkward angle, don’t bother to spend 10-20 seconds pulling out and parking straight. I admit I on a few occasions have to correct myself in the parking bay.

If anyone can’t spend 10-20 seconds to straighten themselves up, then they should give up driving.

Soldato
even then - the relative number of accidents versus uk previous years - would that be an objective measure -
easy to imagine that ABS, chassis control, active cruise, compensate for worse standard and the additional risks people take, infotainment distractions included
(Germans showed people just drove closer on autobahns with active cruise)

I'd say tailgating has increased, and, people driving as though the max road speed is obligatory, they know the average speed the traffic will allow, but want to drive up to the daily, A10/A14 traffic jam, at 60mph versus economic 45mph which won't cut journey time.

Indicators - if you see people using them unecessarily (1/4 mile further down an empty motorway) you just assume they are in robotic/low-mental-faculty mode(maybe I missed something in the mirror) and, later, steer clear of them.

Soldato
People with cars with auto headlights that don’t use them and drive in pitch dark without lights.
I'm seeing this a lot recently (obviously due to time pg year), but I'd have thought 99% of all cars 10 years old or less would have auto lights. Can't remember if I've posted it here, but should only have a switch for auto or dipped imo. Lack of lights should be instant licence loss.

Soldato
100%. As @Sargatanas2511 said though, it leaves some ambiguity and room for manoeuvre (pun intended). People are pretty thick so a blanket 'always indicate' rule is probably the easiest solution.

I just don't see what the problem with indicating is, even if there's not anyone around it's hardly going to cause accidents or anything so I always do it.

Soldato
I'm seeing this a lot recently (obviously due to time pg year), but I'd have thought 99% of all cars 10 years old or less would have auto lights. Can't remember if I've posted it here, but should only have a switch for auto or dipped imo. Lack of lights should be instant licence loss.
Lol don't knock it. My mum's Fiesta got nicked from the driveway with the keys, and the only reason the thieves got caught is because they didn't realise the lights hadn't come on (as annoyingly the dashboard is permanently lit up!).

Soldato
Lol don't knock it. My mum's Fiesta got nicked from the driveway with the keys, and the only reason the thieves got caught is because they didn't realise the lights hadn't come on (as annoyingly the dashboard is permanently lit up!).

If it's anything like my Fiesta (2014), the dash is always lit up but when the lights are on it does dim a fair amount. It's pretty clear when the lights are off or on.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Im going to admit to being a child killing maniac today.

Sat on M42, come up to a group of 15 or so cars.

Lane 1 - Empty. Literally empty.
Lane 2 - 5 cars in convy doing 55-60mph sat on each others bumpers.
Lane 3 - 10 cars waiting to pass the 5 cars in convoy but the person at the front of the overtake queue doing 61mph.

Downshifted into second to make my presence very heard, moved into lane 1 and undertook them all at 70mph. Pulled out infront of them the other side blasting the horn. Not a single person moved into lane 1.

Shook my head in a mix of disbelief and anger and drove off.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
You absolute hooligan. :D Bet that sounded brilliant!

I've seen this more and more recently, the amount of middle lane ***** is ridiculous.

Permabanned
Typical 'things are not what they used to be' rubbish, this thread.

Driving standards in the UK are really very good - something which can be seen in our accident statistics which are amongst the best on the planet. Don't let the paranoid dashcam generation who think every journey is another cash for crash scam waiting to happen convince you otherwise.

Most of us don't realise how lucky we are - we have a well built, well laid out high quality road network with excellent signage and generally high standards of driving. The fact that every UK dashcam compilation is 80% people in the wrong lane shows that so little noteworthy happens on our roads that that is what passes for unusual driving.

I can't speak for the whole of the UK. But over the years, there have been many road calming measures to help improve safety for pedestrians and drivers like speed bumps, restricted speed areas, lane narrowings,.... these are the measures that have resulted in us having less accidents, making the statistics look good. Also, cars are manufactured to meet increasingly higher safety standards over the years, resulting with less accidents, injuries and fatalities. You need to note that the statistics you posted do not exclusively cover poor driving, because a bad driver who does 50mph in a 40mph zone every day and cuts up other motorist would not flag on those statistics. Most of those statistics are not even available from HM Treasury due to profiteering ( they obviously have a different excuse).

You claim that we have high quality roads in the UK. Many would disagree becsuse we all know that our UK roads have so many potholes it's like 'walking on the moon' .

Screenshot-20211102-223215-Chrome.jpg

OP, some information on your question .....

The issue is that the councils and authorities have developed a revenue raising culture over the years, not actually educating poor drivers effectively as they are comfortable making millions of pounds on traffic infringements, they generate millions from this, and it can be said that they actually like bad drivers as they generate millions of pounds yearly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...g-10-6MILLION-parking-fine-revenues-year.html

Unfortunately, the total revenue collected by HM Treasury for fines and penalties issued for driving offences in the UK where the police were not present such as fixed and mobile cameras and NIP notices issued by the police is unfortunately not available from the HM Treasury.

Soldato
If it's anything like my Fiesta (2014), the dash is always lit up but when the lights are on it does dim a fair amount. It's pretty clear when the lights are off or on.
My wife has the current model fiesta and also had the previous one. I know what you mean and I do think it's stupid, my old car only lit the dash when the lights were on so you knew if you'd forgotten (as long as you looked at the speedo:p). I agree about strretlights/other people's lights in that I wonder if they're all so bright the driver doesn't realise. What's worse it it always seems to be people that own black/grey cars to make it even more tricky.

Soldato
People that drive in fog without lights. They are for others to see you. Silver cars are almost invisible in fog.

People that get aggressive and impatient with learner drivers such as overtaking in stupidly dangerous situations. First - does the driver remember being a learner driver? Second - this behaviour can put off the learner driver. The second happened to me and I was shaking - it was my 2nd lesson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
People can be bad drivers without being bad driving; car maintenance. With the darker nights I've seen a lot of cars with only one working headlight so they put the full beam or fogs on to compensate. Some only realise at the next MOT.

There's new breed on the roads - you see someone driving with unreasonably bright (or maladjusted) lights so you flash them to turn them off, only for them to whack on the actual full beams and imagine them shouting "THESE ARE MY FULL BEAMS MF!!".

Soldato

Nah most won't, perhaps the last couple of years it's become standard across more trim levels but auto lights has often only been standard on higher trim levels or as part of driving convenience packs etc.

Back
Top Bottom