Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I know what he is saying, dsm is built on open source software so if Synology didnt rip that source in the first place for commercial use then they cant complain about others like xpenology ripping them.

That's probably the single most stupid thing i've ever seen you post, and that bar isn't exactly set particularly high at the best of times. If a developer chooses to open source code, or publish under a licence that allows commercial use with no significant restrictions, that's up to them. It certainly doesn't give you or anyone else the right to then pirate 3rd party commercial products that include that code just because you don't understand the choice made by a developer or feel like you shouldn't pay for commercial software/hardware. Stealing someones work as you suggest makes you a thief, trying to justify it as you have makes you an idiot.

Last edited:
Soldato
You cant claim piracy to open source software since its free in the first place. If they have a issue with it then they should go closed source and develop something from the ground up without relying on open source code. Only then can they complain if someone pirates it.

As an example, i used arduino code from github for a arcade joystick interface and modded the code to add extra buttons etc. If i sell pre flashed Arduino units with this code but someone copies my code (which is 95% already someone elses on github) and hands it out for free i got no reason to be upset or claim piracy since i didnt program it from the ground up in my own code or encrypt it onto the Arduino.

Soldato
You cant claim piracy to open source software since its free in the first place. If they have a issue with it then they should go closed source and develop something from the ground up without relying on open source code. Only then can they complain if someone pirates it.

As an example, i used arduino code from github for a arcade joystick interface and modded the code to add extra buttons etc. If i sell pre flashed Arduino units with this code but someone copies my code (which is 95% already someone elses on github) and hands it out for free i got no reason to be upset or claim piracy since i didnt program it from the ground up in my own code or encrypt it onto the Arduino.

You can't be that dumb and allowed unsupervised access to the internet, I mean really, you just can't be. Please, tell us you were joking, lie if you have to, because you literally can not be dumb enough to post that :cry:

Soldato
You can't be that dumb and allowed unsupervised access to the internet, I mean really, you just can't be. Please, tell us you were joking, lie if you have to, because you literally can not be dumb enough to post that :cry:
Guess your too dumb to understand how open source works so post all the fud you want. You dont seem to comprehend the the meaning of free to use code.
No matter what you believe you cant copyright someone elses work thats been handed out for free and claim it for your own use and then cry about it when someone else does the same to you.

Soldato

Guess your too dumb to understand how open source works so post all the fud you want.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/company/legal/terms_EULA

DSM is closed source and has been since day one (2004 ish?), it is not and never has been open source.

Soldato
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nascom...ll-synology-dsm-on-your-custom-built-nas/amp/

Quote from link above:

Synology’s DSM is built on open source software so the community has edited the code (in layman’s terms) to get it to work on non-Synology devices.

If dsm is closed source but built on open source software then Synology cant claim full rights to it and kick off if other people used the open source code for their own purposes.

Its like me grabbing an Ubuntu build changing stuff around and then marketing it as a retail product then getting upset that other people have used the open source parts in their own projects.

Similar with these android builds like phoenix os and remix os that use the android sdk and skin it as their own versions. They cant complain if others use the sdk too since its free.

Have i misunderstood something here since i get the feeling the situations im exampling are different to what you mean.

Rather than insult please try to clarify with examples.

Don
I don't.
But a friend does as he is using it for a project nas.

So he isn't using Synology's OS at all then... just the open source GPL'd bits that they use themselves, and therefore have to make available.

All the proprietary parts (web interface, binary blob drivers, services that their apps depend on) aren't open source, don't have to be released, and are protected under copyright,

Soldato
I don't.
But a friend does as he is using it for a project nas.

I wonder why synology have never sued?

No, he really isn't. Those are the build tools to develop packages for DSM, they aren't DSM as I keep saying.

For once I am going to quote direct from Xpenology's own site on this:

Is Xpenology legal?
The water is a bit murky here, but the consensus is that Xpenology is not legal. Why? Xpenology is a bootloader for Synology’s operating system DSM. It runs on a custom Linux version developed by Synology, where the community has edited the code to work on non-Synology devices.

Doing this is illegal, as you are accessing it for free instead of paying for the Synology DSM. If you are using Xpenology for personal use, chances are you won’t get caught, and it should run as normal. But if you are using it for business or anything other than personal-lab projects, we would recommend avoiding using Xpenology.

It might not be as reliable as Synology DSM and could land you in some hot water if you are caught using an illegal system to run your business. Synology has stated that Xpenology is illegal and violates their intellectual property, cautioning you to avoid using Xpenology on another server. Synology warns that you can face legal action using Xpenology.

No link provided for obvious reasons.

If that's not clear here's Synology's take on the situation (admittedly translated from french):

https://www.cachem.fr/xpenology-mot-fin/

We therefore decided to ask Synology France the question directly and here are their answers: "You should know that the use of XPEnology is illegal, and violates Synology's intellectual property while infringing its copyright. And the manufacturer specifies: "It is not allowed to install DSM on another server and can cause legal problems. DSM has two parts: GPL and our proprietary software. Finally, to conclude "Synology has not granted third parties the right to install our own software on non-Synology servers."

This should all be obvious to anyone with half a brain, but as this thread has shown, some people really have no appreciation of what licences are and why commercial products can legally include open source software and it's really not OK to steal them because they do.

Soldato
So he isn't using Synology's OS at all then... just the open source GPL'd bits that they use themselves, and therefore have to make available.

All the proprietary parts (web interface, binary blob drivers, services that their apps depend on) aren't open source, don't have to be released, and are protected under copyright,

Something like xponolgy but for any computer.
He says it will be free to download once done.

Soldato
No, he really isn't. Those are the build tools to develop packages for DSM, they aren't DSM as I keep saying.

For once I am going to quote direct from Xpenology's own site on this:

No link provided for obvious reasons.

If that's not clear here's Synology's take on the situation (admittedly translated from french):

https://www.cachem.fr/xpenology-mot-fin/

This should all be obvious to anyone with half a brain, but as this thread has shown, some people really have no appreciation of what licences are and why commercial products can legally include open source software and it's really not OK to steal them because they do.

I'll wait for the courts to decide.
That's if synology have big balls.

Soldato
Soldato
I ended up building a mATX into a Node 804 case, then went iTX after that into a Node 304.
If you are on Windows then there's not much to do in the way of transferring data.

Soldato
Mines getting old now and wondering if there is anything i could upgrade to? I know i need some bigger hdds so thought i could always just build new and transfer all the data over.

Any help would be great and thanks

It depends specifically what model you have and what you want it to do?

The N36-N54 are OK for general NAS use, you can put a few light services on and it'll run happily still, but you need to be mindful of what you're running as we're past the point that you want to throw a load of services at them that are actually being meaningfully used (eg heavy CPU/IO) or for example Plex and associated tools. For example downloading on a fast connection with something like SAB and doing RAR/PAR work would be quite unpleasant in general and especially if you had other services trying to do things, you can work round that, but the honest answer is a more capable host should be doing any heavy lifting, you just don't have the CPU power to play with. The Gen8 has CPU upgrade options that can modernise it to some extent, but again it's not suited to certain workloads eg media encoding/transcoding in something like Plex due to the inability to use an iGPU (even if the chip has iGPU capability), you could have course look at trying to get a GPU in, but in situations like that the money is often better spent on a dedicated ex-corp. SFF with built in iGPU for HW transcoding.

If you want more bays, buy a Supermicro rack mount chassis or two and a disk shelf or 6 (I have a very understanding wife OK...), but the days of throwing money at local spinning disks is numbered, the purchase price combined with the cost of hardware to mount them and the power to keep them running as well as the time means that as long as your usage profile fits (read relatively static files, rarely touched such as backups and you have a suitable connection), rclone and cloud storage can be a much, much more efficient solution that adds redundancy/versioning etc. Obviously some usage really won't fit that and local storage is better in those cases, in practice a mixed approach can be really effective.

Associate
I ended up building a mATX into a Node 804 case, then went iTX after that into a Node 304.
If you are on Windows then there's not much to do in the way of transferring data.

ty gives me something to look at

It depends specifically what model you have and what you want it to do?

The N36-N54 are OK for general NAS use, you can put a few light services on and it'll run happily still, but you need to be mindful of what you're running as we're past the point that you want to throw a load of services at them that are actually being meaningfully used (eg heavy CPU/IO) or for example Plex and associated tools. For example downloading on a fast connection with something like SAB and doing RAR/PAR work would be quite unpleasant in general and especially if you had other services trying to do things, you can work round that, but the honest answer is a more capable host should be doing any heavy lifting, you just don't have the CPU power to play with. The Gen8 has CPU upgrade options that can modernise it to some extent, but again it's not suited to certain workloads eg media encoding/transcoding in something like Plex due to the inability to use an iGPU (even if the chip has iGPU capability), you could have course look at trying to get a GPU in, but in situations like that the money is often better spent on a dedicated ex-corp. SFF with built in iGPU for HW transcoding.

If you want more bays, buy a Supermicro rack mount chassis or two and a disk shelf or 6 (I have a very understanding wife OK...), but the days of throwing money at local spinning disks is numbered, the purchase price combined with the cost of hardware to mount them and the power to keep them running as well as the time means that as long as your usage profile fits (read relatively static files, rarely touched such as backups and you have a suitable connection), rclone and cloud storage can be a much, much more efficient solution that adds redundancy/versioning etc. Obviously some usage really won't fit that and local storage is better in those cases, in practice a mixed approach can be really effective.

Thanks for your write up

I have a N40L - AMD Turion Neo Dual Core 1.50ghz, 4gb ram running windows 7. Just serves media to some firesticks and runs vga to the tv for ezviz cameras when i want it on but the firesticks can display that also. It does SAB also. I dont use it for anything else really except backing up some data/photos really.

My main worry/issue is as i now want some extra space i thought about how long ive had the server for and its got to be hitting 10years old

Associate
ty gives me something to look at

Thanks for your write up

I have a N40L - AMD Turion Neo Dual Core 1.50ghz, 4gb ram running windows 7. Just serves media to some firesticks and runs vga to the tv for ezviz cameras when i want it on but the firesticks can display that also. It does SAB also. I dont use it for anything else really except backing up some data/photos really.

My main worry/issue is as i now want some extra space i thought about how long ive had the server for and its got to be hitting 10years old

I got 6 drive's in my N54 use them up if you still on 4

Back
Top Bottom