Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Liquid freezer is mega - love mine.

Out of curiosity, why not a Ryzen? They’re objectively the better purchase atm IMO, since similar performance but considerably less power/heat.

Either way though, excellent CPU and it should last you a good chunk longer :)

Power/heat isn't an issue with the 12700, they're much of a muchness between AMD/Intel. The 12900 is where the power/heat issue seems to reside.

All considered and at times even had a Ryzen build in the basket but.... Ryzen is more expensive for the kind of build I'm working with when comparing as close to like for like as possible (price<>performance)

Right now if I price up just a Ryzen 5900x and a comparable mobo it comes to £800, just for CPU and mobo whereas with the 12700KF build I have been able to add a lot more to the order for the same money.

Plus, the better productivity performance which I do a lot of (Photoshop, Lightroom and video encoding).

So whilst Ryzen does make sense from a tried and tested standpoint, it's not the most efficient for my needs in terms of performance, cost or offering that brand new architecture and technology smell (which is why we are all on this forum anyway right!).

Also lastly Intel just feels more "me" although I've owned both AMD and Intel builds over the years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
2k for a mattress :eek:

I thought ours was pretty expensive at £750..

And that's your big mistake. We spend up to a third of our lives in bed and a good nights sleep is so much part of how we feel and our health yet people spend more on their 3 pieces sofas than they will on their mattress.

And you should change them every 10 years minimum.

We are overdue a change on ours which we bought 12 years ago and that was £1600. Even then our sofas cost £3200 so we werent even close to what I just said.

The best mattress I have ever slept on was in a 5 star hotel, it was a Harrison Spinks (wife turned the bed upside down while I was downstairs to find the label)

Some of their mattresses can cost up to £5k.

https://www.harrisonspinks.co.uk/collections

Last edited:
Soldato
Power/heat isn't an issue with the 12700, they're much of a muchness between AMD/Intel. The 12900 is where the power/heat issue seems to reside.

All considered and at times even had a Ryzen build in the basket but.... Ryzen is more expensive for the kind of build I'm working with when comparing as close to like for like as possible (price<>performance)

Right now if I price up just a Ryzen 5900x and a comparable mobo it comes to £800, just for CPU and mobo whereas with the 12700KF build I have been able to add a lot more to the order for the same money.

Plus, the better productivity performance which I do a lot of (Photoshop, Lightroom and video encoding).

So whilst Ryzen does make sense from a tried and tested standpoint, it's not the most efficient for my needs in terms of performance, cost or offering that brand new architecture and technology smell (which is why we are all on this forum anyway right!).

Also lastly Intel just feels more "me" although I've owned both AMD and Intel builds over the years.

All very valid points - seems like you’ve put a lot of thought into it, and ultimately made the best choice for you :)

Enjoy!

Soldato
I guess to a point this is valid. I just can't imagine any mattress being that much better than our £750 one.

Same with anything really - one cannot comprehend how it is different until you’ve physically sensed it (either seen or felt).

It’s not so much about the cost of the mattress, but more expensive mattresses typically have higher quality materials, and so:

Offer better, extended comfort
Last longer

I guess it's the point of diminishing returns and what point a 2k mattress isn't much better than a 1k one, providing you get the firmness etc right.

Guess we all have different priorities, but i wouldn't begrudge 2k on a mattress if it was noticeably better.

As above :)

You might find a £1200 is comfortable enough, but someone else might prefer the additional support a multi material and layered £2500 mattress offers. Equally, a £300 mattress may do the job for you.

Soldato
And that's your big mistake. We spend up to a third of our lives in bed and a good nights sleep is so much part of how we feel and our health yet people spend more on their 3 pieces sofas than they will on their mattress.

And you should change them every 10 years minimum.

We are overdue a change on ours which we bought 12 years ago and that was £1600. Even then our sofas cost £3200 so we werent even close to what I just said.
I recently bought a new king size mattress for 315 quid and I sleep like an absolute log in it. Horses for courses, it's very much possible to overspend on a mattress.

Caporegime
I recently bought a new king size mattress for 315 quid and I sleep like an absolute log in it. Horses for courses, it's very much possible to overspend on a mattress.

Horse for courses but no way can you compare a £315 mattress to a £2k one. You clearly have never slept on a £2k mattress.

Soldato
Horse for courses but no way can you compare a £315 mattress to a £2k one. You clearly have never slept on a £2k mattress.
No I don't think I will have done except in maybe a hotel. But my point is I don't need one if I wake up having slept well in a firm but comfortable mattress without breaking the bank. I'm not saying some people won't benefit from the extra cushioning and whatnot from a more expensive one, just that not everyone needs a super duper deluxe one to get a good nights sleep.

Caporegime
No I don't think I will have done except in maybe a hotel. But my point is I don't need one if I wake up having slept well in a firm but comfortable mattress without breaking the bank. I'm not saying some people won't benefit from the extra cushioning and whatnot from a more expensive one, just that not everyone needs a super duper deluxe one to get a good nights sleep.

Some people can sleep fine on a blanket on the floor but I get your point. if you get the firmness right and are happy to perhaps swap your mattress more often and are sleeping well then you have pretty much nailed it.

But last time we were mattress hunting all the £300 ones were awful IMO. In fact the £900 we bought first was terrible once it got delivered as made the mistake of trying it in shop on a sprung divan whereas our bed at home was slats so was just too firm.

Soldato
Some people can sleep fine on a blanket on the floor but I get your point. if you get the firmness right and are happy to perhaps swap your mattress more often and are sleeping well then you have pretty much nailed it.

But last time we were mattress hunting all the £300 ones were awful IMO. In fact the £900 we bought first was terrible once it got delivered as made the mistake of trying it in shop on a sprung divan whereas our bed at home was slats so was just too firm.
That's the thing, I read enough stories of people complaining about expensive ones, that forking out four figures seemed quite daunting.

I was happy enough to do enough research to know I wanted medium firm pocket sprung with a memory foam top, and then read enough reviews to see that a vast majority were happy with the build quality and there weren't a lot of overheating issues.

Maybe I'll eat humble pie in a few years, only time will tell!

Soldato
Daily socks. A must have purchase.

20211104-221449.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
All very valid points - seems like you’ve put a lot of thought into it, and ultimately made the best choice for you :)

Enjoy!

Cheers it's been a very interesting run-up to release I have to say. The CPU section of the forums has been rife with brand-sided mud slinging... Nothing changes :D

Back
Top Bottom