• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Associate
Woohoo DPD arrived with some of it!

Anyway..
Basic Build
Case: Thermaltake Level 20HT - Big is good right? (arrived)
Motherboard: Asus Rog Maximum Z690 Apex (supposed to be the 4th, now the 8th.. who knows ;) )
CPU: Core i9 12900K (arrived)
GPU RTX3090 - some OEM (generic from a system build)
RAM: ADATA XPG Lancer 16GB, DDR5, 5200MHz (PC5-41600), CL38, 1.25V, ECC, XMP 3.0, PMI x 2 (arrived)
AIO Cooler: Meg Core Liquid S360 (until I can find a decent EK block) (Meg arrived)
PSU: EVGA 2000 G+ Power is everything! (Monday)
M.2: 4x ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 1TB PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 SSD (in RAID 0) (Tomorrow)
Spinneys: Seagate SD6000MO3 6TB x 4 (RAID 5) (arrived)

Crikey it's getting hot in here Chernobyl Version
Internal case Rad: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 - 360 (evaporator) (not yet ordered)
External case Rad: Alphacool Nexxos XT45 - 1260 (condenser) (not yet ordered)
Water Cooler : Halia HC300A (awaiting rig test results before committing) (not yet ordered)
Phase Change: Secop/Danfoss 103U2890-HST (if I decide we should get crazy) (not yet ordered)
Probes: PT100 (stainless) (not yet ordered)
PLC: Siemens Logo! (not yet ordered)
Analogue Module: AM2 RTD (not yet ordered)

So the plan is to build a basic system from the Basic Build parts. If AIO starts to boil and graphics card starts to cook then I will build a water cooled loop using a Halia water cooler. If this turns out to be a waste of my time then a compressor (phase-change) will be installed inside the rear of the cabinet. I will mount a very large rear radiator outside of the case (1260mm) and the 360 rad is used to pump cold air into the cabinet.. hey it's a drinks fridge ;)

How I cool the 3090 is dependent on how successful the cabinet cooling is IF its even required. instead of cooling the CPU/GPU I am attempting to phase-change cool the entire cabinet. If this is even necessary I will use a PLC to monitor the temperature at the condenser and evaporator and find the perfect hysteresis to prevent "steamy windows" and of course condensation within the cabinet. Programming will ensure that I never hit the dew point.

Note: These plans may change according to results :D

Last edited:
Associate
The CPU temp at idle with my 12600k is much lower than the 5800X I had previously. Using a NH-D15S at idle I don't even need the CPU fan spinning, I couldn't do that with the 5800X.

On Windows Task Manager are CPU0 > CPU3 the E cores?

Man of Honour
OP
I don't think Task Manage differentiates between core type, it just displays available threads only. You could install a tool like HWINFO64 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility which may do that though.

Edit*

I did find this which gives understanding and you can then figure out which listed core is P and e:

With single core processors (like the Pentium 4 with HT), it's pretty straight forward, since you only have one pair - so it's (0, 1). With quad core processors (like Nehalem), the logical cores pairs are (0,4), (1,5), (2,6) and (3,7). The pattern of having all the first halves of each pair then having all the second halves shuold scale with future CPUs that have even more cores.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm. I have a 12900k in hand. Is it worth replacing with 12700k? Watercooled system with two or three 360 rads. 12700k does look on paper actually a better option.

12700k and kf are the stars of the show, there is nothing in it apart from £210 more for a 1-3% real world difference between the 12900k and 12700k. It depends if you want to save the money and maybe buy a better motherboard and better ram for example. Also cooling is a lot easier on the 12700k and kf. Watch the reviews on it. If it's a gaming rig only then the 12700k or kf is a no brainer even as a work pc really.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the only difference between a K and KF chip that the KF lacks the integrated gpu? Other than the price. Does it run cooler?

People normally buy KF because the IGPU is fused off and they hope they can get a better overclock that way as the IGPU is not using any power and yes their will be a slight heat and power drop, depends if you enable the IGPU on a K chip in the motherboard bios or disable it, reality is buy the one that is best for you out of the two. K is sometimes useful to have if you need to run another monitor or to troubleshoot sometimes if your DGPU has died.

Also if you have a use for intel quick sync, some people have not noticed yet that some of the benchmarks on ADL have that enabled and why it seems faster than other chips for the benchmark used (shhh I have not let on yet to the AMD and Intel fanboys why ADL seems a lot faster for certain tasks, but was hoping they pick up on it but seems not, they forget some tasks on a CPU with an IGPU can be speeded up that way too ;), so really some benchmarks for the ADL cpu are not just a cpu benchmark but a CPU+IGPU result).

Example here of quick sync in action and not mentioned on any other reviewers benchmarks but was asked to be tested by Intel for sure but they "forgot" to mention that the benchmark was using Intel quick sync too, so the IGPU too, putting all cpus without an IGPU at an artificial disadvantage (wasn't it strange to see so many work based applications benchmarked this time from reviewers that normally only do game benchmarks and stay away from work based applications ;), that's why gaming doesn't see the same huge boosts):-

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...0-Series-2242/#IntelQuickSyncPerformanceBoost

For the slight price difference maybe just get the K. if you are 100% sure you have no use for the IGPU then get the KF.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My little Ncase M1 PC is 7 years old so I decided to replace it and make a stupidly powerful mITX system.

12900k bought yesterday (not from here) and arrived today.

Also got a Cooler Master NR200 MAX coming which comes with pre-installed 280mm AIO for CPU and 850w PSU.

There's only one mITX board that supports DDR5, the ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI so I've got that arriving too.

Bought the cheapest 4800mhz DDR5 kit I could, as there's no point spending silly money when they all seem to have CL38 timings. Splurge in 12 months+ when there's much better stuff available.

Will take the 3090 Strixx out of my AMD system and use that.

Man of Honour
OP
The build is complete! My RAM is currently not in XMP as sorting out a few settings etc but so far everything is lightning quick even at JEDEC. All cores maxed in Prime95 Small FFTs results in a max temp from a short run of 91 degrees, average idle temp is 27 degrees :cool:

The Arctic Freezer II with Kronaught is a beast, and in a custom silent fan profile too in the BIOS.

This mobo looks even better in the flesh than in the stock photos.

pc_12thgenbuild_5000D-frontangle.jpg

pc_12thgenbuild_5000D-sideangle.jpg

pc_12thgenbuild_pump-cpu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom