• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
I should note that the paste I used was Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut! Application method was spreading it across the whole IHS :cool:

The Freezer II comes with MX-4 paste but I chucked that away.

Man of Honour
OP
On the Arctic website you fill out a form and they will send you the 1700 mounting kit

@mrk how come you got the KF not the K? You can't use QuickSync as you've got no iGPU.

I have no idea what Quicksync is, so unlikely I'll have ever used it anyway!

I've just looked it up though and it's to do with video transcoding. My 6700k was still slow even though it has an iGPU but all of my main applications use GPU acceleration for this anyway like cuda so don't think I've been missing out anyway really.

Soldato
On the Arctic website you fill out a form and they will send you the 1700 mounting kit

I have no idea what Quicksync is, so unlikely I'll have ever used it anyway!

I've just looked it up though and it's to do with video transcoding. My 6700k was still slow even though it has an iGPU but all of my main applications use GPU acceleration for this anyway like cuda so don't think I've been missing out anyway really.

I'd take a look at the Puget reviews again, and some others showing how much better QS can be than CUDA or equivalent, and for you it would seem a shame to lose out on something that can literally double your performance if you'll be keeping the system for a decent amount of time.

Also it means you have a way of using your system should you be without your graphics card for any reason.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd take a look at the Puget reviews again, and some others showing how much better QS can be than CUDA or equivalent, and for you it would seem a shame to lose out on something that can literally double your performance if you'll be keeping the system for a decent amount of time.

Also it means you have a way of using your system should you be without your graphics card for any reason.

I'll run a Puget photoshop bench tonight and see what my score is for the K vs my KF.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Puget for PS update

pc_12thgenbuild_pugetPSbench.jpg

Doubled the 6700K score, not that that's a surprise for 5 years of advancements lol.

Associate
The build is complete! My RAM is currently not in XMP as sorting out a few settings etc but so far everything is lightning quick even at JEDEC. All cores maxed in Prime95 Small FFTs results in a max temp from a short run of 91 degrees, average idle temp is 27 degrees :cool:

The Arctic Freezer II with Kronaught is a beast, and in a custom silent fan profile too in the BIOS.

This mobo looks even better in the flesh than in the stock photos.

Nice build. Looks great, genuine question though, should the Rad be the other way up so it feeds the pump more efficiently? I thought i saw somewhere the Rad ports should be above the pump but i am not sure as never used AIO. great looking build though

Man of Honour
OP
Nice build. Looks great, genuine question though, should the Rad be the other way up so it feeds the pump more efficiently? I thought i saw somewhere the Rad ports should be above the pump but i am not sure as never used AIO. great looking build though

A fair question and something I myself questioned to someone else a while back as I wasn't aware of this only knowing the one preferred way!

The truth is orientation doesn't matter but what matters is where the pump is in reference to the line of the rad position. This video will explain all!

Btw someone on Instagram already quizzed me telling me my rad will die with this configuration :D

Associate
A fair question and something I myself questioned to someone else a while back as I wasn't aware of this only knowing the one preferred way!

The truth is orientation doesn't matter but what matters is where the pump is in reference to the line of the rad position. This video will explain all!

Btw someone on Instagram already quizzed me telling me my rad will die with this configuration :D

Awesome, thanks for the info, will check the video out. Always glad to learn something new

Associate
I should note that the paste I used was Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut! Application method was spreading it across the whole IHS :cool:

I've been using thermal grizzly for years now! - their liquid metal one

Brilliant cooling performance

Soldato
I'll run a Puget photoshop bench tonight and see what my score is for the K vs my KF.

Sorry I though you used video as well, via Premier Pro, so if not you'll only see small gains. If you do intend to use is it then I'll leave this review snippet here for you.

"What is interesting to see is that with the H.264 media, the Intel Core processors - and the new Core i9 12900K in particular - are significantly faster than their AMD counterparts. You may not think that the CPU would make a big difference here since Premiere Pro is also able to utilize the GPU to decode this type of footage, but having Quick Sync on these Intel processors seems to give a nice boost to performance in the latest version of Premiere Pro. Because of this, the Intel 12th Gen CPUs are close to 2x, or even 3x, faster than the AMD Ryzen 5000 series."

Soldato

What ate your temps and Ilde temps I've went with the 360 artic should hopefully produce good temps for my 12900k.

Soldato
@mrk - looks like a nice and tidy build. Well done.
I have mounted my 420mm Arctic Freezer II in the top on my Meshify 2 XL case. But, get this impression from seeing yours as well, it would have been useful if they had extended the length of the pipes. Perhaps more so for the 420mm as it is such a big rad. Even tho my case could fit a 420mm vertically at the front the pipes would have been too short. I did want it at the top anyway.
Surprised that you didn't go for a top mount - it would fit in that case.

Are those pipes leaning on the GPU..? The GPU looks to be tilted downwards at the rear. Altho that could just be how it looks in the photo. I do know how thick and weighty those pipes are. EDIT: could be the cover on the GPU which slants downwards to the rear giving that impression.

Before I changed from a 5000D case to my Meshify I did like the cable shroud that fits over where the motherboard cables run to the boards socket. It can be a little tricky running the extension cables through but it does look very neat when in place.

The AF II is a very capable AIO - with only one connection (the 420mm having no bling). No pump speed to bother about and very quiet in use. The cost of it puts many others to shame.

Last edited:
Soldato

You didn't fancy putting the rad in the top of the case no? Then populate the front of the case with some fans? The one fan on the top of the case is making my OCD twitch :D

Man of Honour
OP
@mrk - looks like a nice and tidy build. Well done.
I have mounted my 420mm Arctic Freezer II in the top on my Meshify 2 XL case. But, get this impression from seeing yours as well, it would have been useful if they had extended the length of the pipes. Perhaps more so for the 420mm as it is such a big rad. Even tho my case could fit a 420mm vertically at the front the pipes would have been too short. I did want it at the top anyway.

Are those pipes leaning on the GPU..? The GPU looks to be tilted downwards at the rear. Altho that could just be how it looks in the photo. I do know how thick and weighty those pipes are. EDIT: could be the cover on the GPU which slants downwards to the rear giving that impression.

Before I changed from a 5000D case to my Meshify I did like the cable shroud that fits over where the motherboard cables run to the boards socket. It can be a little tricky running the extension cables through but it does look very neat when in place.

The AF II is a very capable AIO - with only one connection (the 420mm having no bling). No pump speed to bother about and very quiet in use. The cost of it puts many others to shame.

I found no issue with the tubes length but my rad is 280mm so that may be why. If the length is the same on yours then year I'd want a big longer tubing to account for the longer rad!

As for the GFX card, it's a combination of sag and the styling of the cover/surround plastic panel. The styling lines give the impression of extra sag but it's only a bit of sag due to the weight of the metal heatsink layers. Not much can be done about that really. Gigabyte boards have a reinforced PCIE socket so I am not really concerned about bending the socket or anything, was the same on the old mobo too.

The AIO tubs are not resting on the GPU though, there is about a 1-2cm gap between tubes and the edge of the RTX.

Definitely on the price of these AIOs. My Corsair H115i cost quite a bit more back then and this AF wipes the floor with it.

What ate your temps and Ilde temps I've went with the 360 artic should hopefully produce good temps for my 12900k.

Idle and load temps when gaming are screenshotted below. The max temp you see are from when I played Cyberpunk 2077 for an hour:

wxP5hdB.jpg

Sorry I though you used video as well, via Premier Pro, so if not you'll only see small gains. If you do intend to use is it then I'll leave this review snippet here for you.

"What is interesting to see is that with the H.264 media, the Intel Core processors - and the new Core i9 12900K in particular - are significantly faster than their AMD counterparts. You may not think that the CPU would make a big difference here since Premiere Pro is also able to utilize the GPU to decode this type of footage, but having Quick Sync on these Intel processors seems to give a nice boost to performance in the latest version of Premiere Pro. Because of this, the Intel 12th Gen CPUs are close to 2x, or even 3x, faster than the AMD Ryzen 5000 series."

Not in Premiere Pro nope but yes in Davinci Resolve, Camtasia Studio and Premiere Rush. I did however install Pro this morning to run the Puget benchmark to see what the difference is and got this result:

My score: https://www.pugetsystems.com/benchmarks/view.php?id=63695
Someone else's score with a 12700K and beefier 3080 RTX: https://www.pugetsystems.com/benchmarks/view.php?id=61490

Not too shabby really. all things considered.

You didn't fancy putting the rad in the top of the case no? Then populate the front of the case with some fans? The one fan on the top of the case is making my OCD twitch :D

I fancied doing things a bit different this build as figured pulling air through the rad at the front would be best in this case since airflow is so good (hence the case model name lol). And it seems to be working perfectly. When gaming the RTX kicks out serious heat, a constant 70 degrees in Cyberpunk and in this cold weather genuinely means I can use that to heat my surroundings without turning the heating on as heat exhausts from the case much nicer than my old Phanteks Evolv did!

Not too bothered about the single 140mm at the top, configured for purpose after all!

Soldato
Not in Premiere Pro nope but yes in Davinci Resolve, Camtasia Studio and Premiere Rush. I did however install Pro this morning to run the Puget benchmark to see what the difference is and got this result:

Someone else's score with a 12700K and beefier 3080 RTX: https://www.pugetsystems.com/benchmarks/view.php?id=61490

I guess if you don't use PP then QuickSync doesn't matter, interesting to see that the difference between the K and KF is over 20% though! Amazing for a little built in iGPU. :)

Soldato
I found no issue with the tubes length but my rad is 280mm so that may be why. If the length is the same on yours then year I'd want a big longer tubing to account for the longer rad!

As for the GFX card, it's a combination of sag and the styling of the cover/surround plastic panel. The styling lines give the impression of extra sag but it's only a bit of sag due to the weight of the metal heatsink layers. Not much can be done about that really. Gigabyte boards have a reinforced PCIE socket so I am not really concerned about bending the socket or anything, was the same on the old mobo too.

The AIO tubs are not resting on the GPU though, there is about a 1-2cm gap between tubes and the edge of the RTX.

Definitely on the price of these AIOs. My Corsair H115i cost quite a bit more back then and this AF wipes the floor with it.

Idle and load temps when gaming are screenshotted below. The max temp you see are from when I played Cyberpunk 2077 for an hour:

wxP5hdB.jpg

I fancied doing things a bit different this build as figured pulling air through the rad at the front would be best in this case since airflow is so good (hence the case model name lol). And it seems to be working perfectly. When gaming the RTX kicks out serious heat, a constant 70 degrees in Cyberpunk and in this cold weather genuinely means I can use that to heat my surroundings without turning the heating on as heat exhausts from the case much nicer than my old Phanteks Evolv did!

Not too bothered about the single 140mm at the top, configured for purpose after all!

Not overclocked it yet be interested see to how the temps go.

Back
Top Bottom