• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Have been reading up a bit more and trying to understand this difference between 12600/12700 and the 12900.

In very basic terms, it seems that for the 12900, temps and power draw are not so bad in gaming, but, under sustained, computationally intensive work (ie rendering, encoding,etc), the 12900 just goes ballistic in terms of temps and power draw, whereas the 12600 and 12700 seem to be much more well behaved for both types of usage, being quite close, in performance, to 12900 in gaming, and a little further off in computational tasks.

So, in terms of worrying about heat and power consumption, if these matter significantly to you, the 12900 should be judged by a more specific ‘use specific’ criteria, ie gaming = good, computation = expect heat.

Is that the generally accepted view, or am I misunderstanding?

Have been reading up a bit more and trying to understand this difference between 12600/12700 and the 12900.

In very basic terms, it seems that for the 12900, temps and power draw are not so bad in gaming, but, under sustained, computationally intensive work (ie rendering, encoding,etc), the 12900 just goes ballistic in terms of temps and power draw, whereas the 12600 and 12700 seem to be much more well behaved for both types of usage, being quite close, in performance, to 12900 in gaming, and a little further off in computational tasks.

So, in terms of worrying about heat and power consumption, if these matter significantly to you, the 12900 should be judged by a more specific ‘use specific’ criteria, ie gaming = good, computation = expect heat.

Is that the generally accepted view, or am I misunderstanding?
Yes but this is because the stock settings motherboards are shipping with allow the 12900K to pull as much power as it wants, for as long as it wants. You can tweak this to however you please quite easily to get a better balance of thermals vs performance. Tbh, if you're going to do that, you may as well buy the 12700K.

The build is complete! My RAM is currently not in XMP as sorting out a few settings etc but so far everything is lightning quick even at JEDEC. All cores maxed in Prime95 Small FFTs results in a max temp from a short run of 91 degrees, average idle temp is 27 degrees :cool:

The Arctic Freezer II with Kronaught is a beast, and in a custom silent fan profile too in the BIOS.

This mobo looks even better in the flesh than in the stock photos.

pc_12thgenbuild_5000D-frontangle.jpg

pc_12thgenbuild_5000D-sideangle.jpg

pc_12thgenbuild_pump-cpu.jpg

Tidy build.

The build is complete! My RAM is currently not in XMP as sorting out a few settings etc but so far everything is lightning quick even at JEDEC. All cores maxed in Prime95 Small FFTs results in a max temp from a short run of 91 degrees, average idle temp is 27 degrees :cool:

The Arctic Freezer II with Kronaught is a beast, and in a custom silent fan profile too in the BIOS.

Freezer 2 quiet?

Very nice and stelthy @mrk , tell me does the Gigabyte board need a 1700 bracket or can it take 115x like the Asus boards? I have the same Arctic.

Ta!
The included 11xx mounting bits in the box of the Arctic would not fit in the holes so yeah you do need 1700 mounting kit for whatever coole ryou will be using!

Tidy build.

Thanks!

Freezer 2 quiet?

Very quiet yep. It's quiet on the standard fan curve but even more so on the silent or custom curves in the BIOS. I'll get a curve pic shortly from the BIOS to show the range I've got it set to and update this post.

Edit*
20211107_023756.jpg

Last edited:

pc_12thgenbuild_5000D-frontangle.jpg

pc_12thgenbuild_5000D-sideangle.jpg

pc_12thgenbuild_pump-cpu.jpg

Looks great :)

Got bored of waiting for the Asus Prime to come into stock elsewhere and swapped to the Gigabyte Aorus Pro. Hopefully everything is here Tuesday but my DDR5 is currently on a boat across the English channel.

For some reason Photoshop 2022 (v23) would crash as soon as you open an image and do anything. I'm on Creative Cloud so installed the previous version (2021 v22) and that's working perfectly. Have uninstalled 2022 for now as I guess there's some weird bug in the latest version that doesn't like this core architecture or something. I replicated the issue by reinstalling 2022 so it's only a change in Photoshop 2022 where this is an issue so am gonna stick with 2021 for now until Adobe fix it.

Excellent setup there for my build I've chosen the nzxt 710i white

That should be rather good! I liked the black/grey colour on the ocuk website but opted for full stealth with Corsair and liked a few extra bells and whistles this one has although for the life of me can't find where the power led and hdd led is. There isn't even a hdd activity led front panel header to plug in!

@mrk
Have you disconnected the VRM fan on the block? Worth doing for noise.

I've not disconnected it purely because I don't notice any noise form it at all! It may be because it's also controlled by the PWM fan curve in the BIOS with the rest of the fans so this is fine by me if it's so low it's basically passive at this point until I fire up a workload.

Looks great :)

:cool:

Also, look at these temps!

TCE9mHt.jpg

For some reason Photoshop 2022 (v23) would crash as soon as you open an image and do anything. I'm on Creative Cloud so installed the previous version (2021 v22) and that's working perfectly. Have uninstalled 2022 for now as I guess there's some weird bug in the latest version that doesn't like this core architecture or something. I replicated the issue by reinstalling 2022 so it's only a change in Photoshop 2022 where this is an issue so am gonna stick with 2021 for now until Adobe fix it.

That should be rather good! I liked the black/grey colour on the ocuk website but opted for full stealth with Corsair and liked a few extra bells and whistles this one has although for the life of me can't find where the power led and hdd led is. There isn't even a hdd activity led front panel header to plug in!

I've not disconnected it purely because I don't notice any noise form it at all! It may be because it's also controlled by the PWM fan curve in the BIOS with the rest of the fans so this is fine by me if it's so low it's basically passive at this point until I fire up a workload.

:cool:

Also, look at these temps!

TCE9mHt.jpg
class temps.

Back
Top Bottom