What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Probably a 800XT. 850's i think had the blower style cooler on them. Probably AGP. aint worth what that dude is asking. Could be scratched up and damaged being chucked in a bag full of other PCB's.

Soldato
I was thinking 800 on the basis I know what a 1650 850 and 600 look like. Well the ad itself says offers not £123 but I'm not desperate for a fast AGP card having just got rid of mine.

Edit There is also a green AGP card with a molex connector so maybe I'll do a lowball offer. Its about 10 mind down the road.

Don
Soldato
I have returned with:

Club3D 9800XT looks OK condition

XFX 6800GT 256MB AGP looks OK condition

Geforce 3 ti 200 'pro' looks OK condition

S754 Winfast board (fairly basic) looks OK

GIGABYTE Ga-965P S3 ATX 775 board looks OK other than a few bent CPU pins

A basic 1155 gigabyte board with a few bent pins

A basic Foxconn AM2+ board that looks Ok

A Biostar TP45HP a multi GPU 775 board, looks OK condition

A basic Foxconn 775 board

A few burned boards too.

Soldato
So most of the stuff listed above was dead, but the 6800GT and Gf3 ti200 are not. The fan on the 9800 XT doesn't spin up and the card artifacts (could it be immediately overheating?)

I'll probably sell the 9800 XT to see if anyone can fix it as I think I'll get £20 for it in this state considering the going rate for the Pro model and it would be good if someone competent can bring it back to life.

There was also a posh Z87 board that has fairly mashed pins I'm not even going to try to bend back. I'll probably just let that go for £10 or something

Caporegime
Pretty good to get hold of the 6800GT and Ti200 though. You don't get much quicker on nVidia AGP than the 6800GT, and the Ti200 is perfect for turn of the century 9x gaming.

Shame about the 9800XT though :( I think what I'd do is get the fan working (or replaced) and a mild overvolt on the core and memory to see if that fixes it. If by "artifacts" you mean incorrect characters at the BIOS/DOS then it's likely to be faulty memory. If you mean sparklies or incorrectly drawn GUI then it's probably the core itself.

Soldato
Dug my Dell Inspiron 8100 out and had a blast on Half Life 2. Beasty 2001 device that's able to play a full 3d game from 2004.
I remember always wanting to hit 60fps in shooters, now I can there’s nothing to ‘chase’ Playing retro games on period hardware at 20-50fps is strangely satisfying.

Last edited:
Soldato
I absolutely get that, there's a weird pleasure in getting a game running 'pretty well' based on your hardware guesstimates, and my builds that manage FPS in the 25 to 50 range for a target couple of years of games always seem to last longer than another 775 overpowered build.

Caporegime
The other thing is, older games were targeting CRTs which happily hid the lack of framerate due to no tearing. I typically find that on a CRT especially, 30FPS is usually "enough", even for shooters like UT or Quake 1 or 2.

Soldato
Its a CT4740 ES1373 from the listing i bought it from. and in windows 98 its listed as SB PCI (WDM), i suspect its the bottom end of the market, so i dont mind replacing it if i knew what models would be better suited to both windows and dos

Soldato
Spent quite some time away from retro PCs as I was having a poor time with my mental health and obsessing over youtube views/subs and ebay bargains and trying to do many things ontop of an already busy lifestyle..
Now on my Xmas hols and starting to wind down a bit, fired up my "main" retro rig which had been left in a bit of a mess after being harvested for parts for a project. Got it all set up again nicely with the SBLive supplying good SB16 emulation and the SW60XG bringing in the wavetable goodness. Also noticed my modern monitor has a 1:1 scaling option so I can play in the correct aspect ratio when using it.

Have hoarded quite a few broken bits over the last year so going to part out potentially salvageable bits into a job lot for ebay and offer the rest as scrap metal. Think I have in excess of 10 towers of which at least 4 do not boot at all.

Back
Top Bottom