What retro things have you done today?

Associate
You won’t get an IDE cable with 4 connectors. IDE is two devices (master/slave) per channel, so three connectors maximum. Either use the CF as your C: or D: and just mount it to a spare PCI bracket. Alternatively use a GoTek. Both are methods I use to transfer files to my 9x and DOS PCs. Though I also have an NT4 file server on a sandboxed network for larger transfers.
What about if I cut two IDE cables and solder them together to make four connectors?

Associate
What about if I cut two IDE cables and solder them together to make four connectors?

Sorry but I had to chuckle at this. I'm not a bad person honest.

You can run upto 4 devices but you will need to utilise both Primary and Secondary IDE channels.

The two storage drives on Primary and a cd rom on secondary is one possible configuration.

Associate
Sorry but I had to chuckle at this. I'm not a bad person honest.

You can run upto 4 devices but you will need to utilise both Primary and Secondary IDE channels.

The two storage drives on Primary and a cd rom on secondary is one possible configuration.
Its an old small form factor PC, the motherboard uses two of the IDE connectors of the IDE cable leaving just one connector for the Hard Drive. There is no CD Rom and no space to install one on this machine anyway. I plan to have the Hard drive as master and the CF drive as slave. I'm going to make a up a little board and solder two IDE connectors on to it that way I won't have to cut any IDE cables and will look much neater.

Or even better I can just use one of these to join the IDE cables.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26435940...s=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1x7OTxHoyTHSGkPAM9zFLJQ13

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its an old small form factor PC, the motherboard uses two of the IDE connectors of the IDE cable leaving just one connector for the Hard Drive. There is no CD Rom and no space to install one on this machine anyway. I plan to have the Hard drive as master and the CF drive as slave. I'm going to make a up a little board and solder two IDE connectors on to it that way I won't have to cut any IDE cables and will look much neater.

Or even better I can just use one of these to join the IDE cables.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264359400748?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338827328&toolid=10029&customid=264359400748_1&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1x7OTxHoyTHSGkPAM9zFLJQ13
Sounds like you REALLY don’t understand IDE.

Get a picture of your board and cables as they are set up now. If your board has two IDE headers then that’s two channels (that both support a master and a slave device for 4 devices total), there should be two separate 40-pin IDE cables in these headers, definitely not one cable joining the two.

Associate
Sounds like you REALLY don’t understand IDE.

Get a picture of your board and cables as they are set up now. If your board has two IDE headers then that’s two channels (that both support a master and a slave device for 4 devices total), there should be two separate 40-pin IDE cables in these headers, definitely not one cable joining the two.
You don't understand what I'm talking about. I'm not an idiot. The motherboard IS NOT LIKE A STANDARD BOARD. This particular board uses two IDE connectors of the cable. Also the IDE cable is not standard either in the machine its just the one IDE connector on the cable that is plugged into the hard drive.

The IDE Cable is not standard

The board is not stranded.

This is why I need to join a standard IDE cable to the IDE cable in the machine.

Trying to explain this is a ***** nightmare. The board does not have two IDE headers like what you said and are not the same on your normal motherboard. The IDE headers on this one are totally different and work in a different way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The board does not have two IDE headers like what you said and are not the same on your normal motherboard. The IDE headers on this one are totally different and work in a different way.

the motherboard uses two of the IDE connectors of the IDE cable leaving just one connector for the Hard Drive.

Clear as mud.

Just put up photos instead of trying to badly explain the problem, then one of us will likely be able to help before you break something.

Associate
Today I

Hacked an old Mac Mini to a modern version of MacOS

Set up and checked an older Mac Mini G4 so I can flog it... It was sold to me as a 2.26 GHz C2D and turned out to be a G4 1.42 GHz - lol!

Caporegime
Today I

Hacked an old Mac Mini to a modern version of MacOS

Set up and checked an older Mac Mini G4 so I can flog it... It was sold to me as a 2.26 GHz C2D and turned out to be a G4 1.42 GHz - lol!
I used to dabble a bit in upgrading older minis to later MacOS versions. Is Dosdude1 still the go-to resource, and did you end up having to upgrade the WiFi module?

Caporegime
Take a photo because you are making no sense

Edit:
Or even just let us know the make/model of pc or motherboard

Awaits to see an image of a SCSI header :p

Not exactly "computer" retro related, but I was clearing out my late mother's house and stumbled upon this beauty that I'd forgotten I had:

Sorry to hear this fella.

Caporegime
Awaits to see an image of a SCSI header :p
This, this is what I'm expecting.

Sorry to hear this fella.

Thank you. It wasn't a shock as we knew it was coming, but still sad times. That said, the memories we are uncovering in the house have had us both elated and upset in equal measure. I've found a decent haul of ancient desktop and laptop peripherals that at present I've done nothing more than box into storage.

Caporegime
Received an Asus CUR-DLS dual S370 board in the post today. Was listed as "faulty" but I had a hunch what was wrong with it... it needs REGISTERED SDR PC133 RAM.

Bingo, working dual S370 board for £25, including two PIII 800MHz/256KB/133FSB CPUs.

I'm just going to change it's Fujitsu Siemens BIOS over to a stock ASUS one and then it can go back on the bay, I certainly don't need a third dual S370 board, let alone one without AGP, but I just wanted to sanity check for myself that this simply isn't true, and that PIII hasn't shot up in price (other than for rare/tualatin supporting boards).

I know somebody will tell me Pentium III boards would be more ideal and that is correct but there are none that I can find for a reasonable price at the moment.

Soldato
My windows 98 PC is freezing up when trying to start in MS-DOS mode , Restarting and Shutting down from within windows 98. Could it be not happy with the Compact Flash Card install, would it be better on an actual IDE drive, theres plenty of new old stock on ebay for pennies.

Associate
Caporegime
Here's that dual socket 370 board that is now ready to go back up for sale:

cur-dls-1.jpg

cur-dls-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom