Cash is only used by the poor or elderly

Soldato
Those are all irrelevant anyway. The OP was typically referring to somewhere like a supermarket where a bill could be anywhere from £30 to £250. What you've described is mostly tackled with spare coins. Although bus fares are even moving towards using an app, so it's even more environmentally friendly by not printing out loads of paper tickets.

The people who take forever at the checkouts with cash are the same with cards they still need to bag up all their shopping instead of doing it while its coming through, then look for their handbag, click it open, search around inside for their purse, have a good peruse for the card wallet put the bag down while they open the wallet spend another five minutes deciding which card to use, fumble about putting it in then try and remember their number, spend another 5 minutes chatting with the checkout operator, while everyone else in the queue stretching down he ailse is quietly fuming...

Man of Honour
'Lets compare receipts. Wow, your brand of bum wipe roll is 2p cheaper per roll than my usual brand of bum wipe roll and its just as good quality, I'm off to commit seppaku now for being so crap at shopping'.

Now you’re talking Ballistix.
I may have mentioned this one before, but in my early thirties I was on the Algarve with four guys who like me were regulars in the same boozer, we were staying in a rented villa just outside Carvoiero, (think it was there.)
One evening we drove into Carvoiero for dinner, and reading a menu on a restaurant window that sounded good, four of us decided to eat there.
Bob, a lighterman who earned bundles, but was so tight that he squeaked, said, “I’ve seen cataplana, (a Portuguese dish), down the street for five escudos less than here, (this was pre-euro), “follow me guys.”
We chorused, “No thanks Bob, see you later in Os Arcos, (a Portuguese bar).

Soldato
'Lets compare receipts. Wow, your brand of bum wipe roll is 2p cheaper per roll than my usual brand of bum wipe roll and its just as good quality, I'm off to commit seppaku now for being so crap at shopping'.

No if you are frugal then you spend money that improves your life, but not otherwise.

You dont compare.

However the frugal person would say, why are you wasting money on toilet paper when you can wash with water and soap, which you already have?

Soldato
Found a £2 coin on the ground. Bought a scratchcard and won £100.

Shops only pay out in cash. Or can be exchanged for shopping- just pay/receive the difference.

Now I have £100 plus bits of change in my purse.

Some of the money will be used for hairdressers next week (she only takes cash).

Went to Iceland and bought some shopping. Cashier accidentally selected cash when I was about to pay with card. Saved her graces and causing to wait for a manager to deal with the transaction - by using the cash.

Caporegime
No if you are frugal then you spend money that improves your life, but not otherwise.

You dont compare.

However the frugal person would say, why are you wasting money on toilet paper when you can wash with water and soap, which you already have?

Tbh bidets are way more hygienic.

If you got some poop on your hair/skin would you just dry whipe it with a napkin or wet wash?

Best solution of course is to time poop before shower.

But on frugality is soap more expensive per poop than paper?

Soldato
Personally I am in favour of some tracking and controls. For example, I don't see why someone should be able to spend dole money on alcohol or cigarettes. I don't drink or smoke, so why should I pay tax that then gets given to someone and spent on these? Plus there are a lot of social problems associated with alcohol. Same goes for illegal drugs. The problem is implementing such a system without giving a government too much power if it turns authoritarian, and there is no easy solution.

See that at work. Those on certain benefits with kids under 4 get Healthy Start vouchers, which get £4.25 (double that if under 12 months) for every child to spend on milk, baby formula milk (from birth) and fruit and veg with nothing added - chips don't count. See these handing over 3 vouchers then pay £80 on cigs/rolly baccy and booze. If they can afford £80 for that, they can afford £12.75 on milk, F&V.

My brother would throw a right hissy fit if that happened.

Over a year, he probably only pays tax on about 60% of his gross income.

It's not OK for people receiving benefits to buy booze and fags (including in-work benefits?) but it's OK for self employed to tax dodge. It's great how we have been conditioned by the right-wing press.

Soldato
I think eventually physical cash will be a thing of the past,..wont exist.

I'm all for it, I never carry cash now everything's just "BEEP" on the card..its easier, Quicker and you don't have to worry about those dreaded new notes sliding out your pocket with how slippy they are.

Although i do hope that if it does become a cashless society eventually banks sort their crap out, Why is there delays with balances been updated in real time when you buy or sell something, No wonder people go into debt. Although that's probably the whole idea behind the delay lol.

Soldato
The people who take forever at the checkouts with cash are the same with cards they still need to bag up all their shopping instead of doing it while its coming through, then look for their handbag, click it open, search around inside for their purse, have a good peruse for the card wallet put the bag down while they open the wallet spend another five minutes deciding which card to use, fumble about putting it in then try and remember their number, spend another 5 minutes chatting with the checkout operator, while everyone else in the queue stretching down he ailse is quietly fuming...

I hate these old codgers who hold up the queue faffing - Once I get in the line I get my card case out and pull out a new £50 note and I am ready - trouble is most times it's more than £50 so have to go back in card case for more money only to find a Fiver - so hand that over then look for my card - Stick card in and it rejects my number so do it three time then find it's wrong card - Things are better now as you can swipe £100 - Old age pensioners will be the death of me. :rolleyes:

Soldato
In greggs yesterday an old lady (75+ im guessing) asked for a receipt after had bought one sausage roll with cash, whats that about? The staff member seemed properly confused on first asking and had to ask the lady again what she wanted.

Soldato
In greggs yesterday an old lady (75+ im guessing) asked for a receipt after had bought one sausage roll with cash, whats that about? The staff member seemed properly confused on first asking and had to ask the lady again what she wanted.
In some countries it's illegal to not get a receipt regardless of if you wanted it or not. Maybe Romanian and force of habit?

V F

V F

Soldato
Tbh bidets are way more hygienic.

If you got some poop on your hair/skin would you just dry whipe it with a napkin or wet wash?

Best solution of course is to time poop before shower.

But on frugality is soap more expensive per poop than paper?

What a thread.

I hate these old codgers who hold up the queue faffing - Once I get in the line I get my card case out and pull out a new £50 note and I am ready - trouble is most times it's more than £50 so have to go back in card case for more money only to find a Fiver - so hand that over then look for my card - Stick card in and it rejects my number so do it three time then find it's wrong card - Things are better now as you can swipe £100 - Old age pensioners will be the death of me. :rolleyes:

How about the old women at ATMs? That take 5 minutes each time to get the stuff out of their bag, take out a bit of paper, read it, enter the codes, read the receipt, put the paper away, the card, the money, zip up and button the bag then start walking away. Over 10 minutes has passed by now as there is queue.

Back
Top Bottom