25,000 miles a year in comfort (and on a budget)

Soldato
Obviously I’d rather not do that, but in the short term this is the situation. Just over an hour each way isn’t a mega commute by any stretch of the imagination.
I’d rather take a hefty pay cut! If you add an extra two hours into your working day and divide out the salary it has a significant impact on your hourly rate! Oh and don’t forget to factor in the days when the motor way is broken and you 70 minute commute turns into 3hrs!

Soldato
It's not that bad. I'm back to doing 25k+ a year now which works out to 2k+ a month. Some weeks I'll work from home and do no miles at all, others I can do do Portsmouth to Glasgow and back and then a couple of trips to Birmingham the week after then back to doing little again the following week. Just depends how it's split up - a daily commute is awful (I used to do 600 miles a week commuting from Portsmouth to Bracknell and back every day but luckily not during rush hour), but the odd long trip here and there makes it a lot more bearable, for me at least.

Soldato
OP
I’d rather take a hefty pay cut! If you add an extra two hours into your working day and divide out the salary it has a significant impact on your hourly rate! Oh and don’t forget to factor in the days when the motor way is broken and you 70 minute commute turns into 3hrs!

If only life were that simple eh? Nothing confirmed yet, but this is all part of planning the logistics.

More and more keen on the W212 coupe. A diseasel even makes sense for this journey!

Does anyone have experience of high mileage lease deals or EV deals? If I spend £6000 on an old boat that would give me £500 pcm if this were for a year, although I doubt I’d get such a short term deal and I think I’d end up spending a lot more on a lease overall. I also figure that buying a car that has already got 100k on it (and has been well looked after) should have done the bulk of its depreciating.

Soldato
A quick look and I see a Nissan Juke for 24 months on 25k miles at £300/month with one month up front.
There are 18 month leases but it's typically more costly for shorter term leases.

Soldato
Good god no, imagine having to drive 25k miles a year in a Juke
Once did 20k in a year in a 1.1 Cora’s it was grim! I’d you really have no option but to do it then the OP is doing the right thing and getting a comfy barge to sit in. I’d still be looking for another job not a new car though spending 20+hrs a week in a car plus working 40hrs just wouldn’t appeal to me!

Man of Honour
Good god no, imagine having to drive 25k miles a year in a Juke

Thing is, it'll be brand new. There has to be some crossover point where a brand new non premium car might be a better bet than an older more premium car. In this case the cars he's considering are what, 10-12 year old E Class Mercs? Great cars, sure, but the Juke will have a far more modern specification and crucially will be much more reliable.

Soldato
Thing is, it'll be brand new. There has to be some crossover point where a brand new non premium car might be a better bet than an older more premium car.

That's exactly how I would view it.

I did say my search was a quick one. I also have very limited experience of driving a Juke and it wasn't horrendous.

Back
Top Bottom