Why do all mice on the market suck right now?

Associate
The only point I agree with on my Sensei Ten is the bloatware. Other than that it's probably the best mouse I've owned. It does have the weird noise when scrolling in a certain direction that someone mentioned earlier though.

Associate
Original G203 user here.

The double click is driving me insane now especially on AOE4.

I really like the shape/style of it as I’m a lefty and swap the primary/secondary click around.

No idea what to replace it with. The market is slim pickings for ambidextrous users.

Associate
6) Side mouse buttons that are so far forward they might as well not exist.

OMG this. I've been looking for a mouse where I can reach the second mouse button for a change. I was beginning to think I was some sort of Habsburgian misshapen freak with horribly short thumbs!

Annoyingly, Poundland have some incredibly cheap and nasty 'gaming' mice in ATM and the shape is ideal!

Is there any way to tell if a mouse is going to be any good for you without getting your hand on one? I have no idea where I can go to try them out these days.

Soldato
Is there any way to tell if a mouse is going to be any good for you without getting your hand on one? I have no idea where I can go to try them out these days.
RTINGS have a 3D mouse comparison tool. It's not ideal by any means, but if you're familiar with one or two of the mice in their database you'll at least be able to compare them to others you might be interested in. Unfortunately side button placement can be hard to compare because they might obscure each other, but it will hopefully be a starting point for you.

V F

V F

Soldato
you must have tiny thumbs.

...like me :(

Nah i'm kidding, it is ridiculously far forward though. I can reach it but it involves holding the mouse far more forward than i like to. Not comfortable at all.

Funny, I always find the closest side mouse button the hardest. It's so close towards you my thumb is almost bent in half like a hook to press it. Relaxing your thumb pressing on the joint of your thumb causes a weird feeling of aim control when pressing the button.

Where the furthest away button I don't ever recall having an issue.

Soldato
I often wondered would arranging the side buttons vertically work better for some people... So instead of having to move your thumb forwards and backwards between the two buttons, you could just move your thumb up or down a little.

Actually, behold my crude creation á la Paint!!! Obviously the switches could be in more of a natural, ergonomic arc than shown here.

qPKnyUo.png

V F

V F

Soldato
Then you run out of thumb grip/rest area. More so on mice with quite a low profile. Plus you also run into the problem so many complain about. The buttons being so thin.

Associate
I often wondered would arranging the side buttons vertically work better for some people... So instead of having to move your thumb forwards and backwards between the two buttons, you could just move your thumb up or down a little.
I don't understand why no modern mice use the same layout as the old MS Intellimouse Optical. One button on either side works perfectly for me - there's no danger of hitting the wrong button, it's a completely natural fit with "forward / back" navigation in browsers and IDEs, and it feels much easier to mentally separate the two buttons when binding them to actions for games.

I've gone through a few of these over the years - you can still find refurbished ones for sale online, although the scroll wheels are always a bit clunkier than the original. All modern mice just seem like they're trying too hard :confused:

Associate
RTINGS have a 3D mouse comparison tool. It's not ideal by any means, but if you're familiar with one or two of the mice in their database you'll at least be able to compare them to others you might be interested in. Unfortunately side button placement can be hard to compare because they might obscure each other, but it will hopefully be a starting point for you.

I will check that out!

Actually, behold my crude creation á la Paint!!! Obviously the switches could be in more of a natural, ergonomic arc than shown here.

qPKnyUo.png

I also crave this. It has existed, but why it's so uncommon I don't know.

Caporegime
try being left handed, nearly every mouse has only buttons on the right side of the mouse, unless you go expensive

I remember when logtech used to do left handed mice

Associate
1) Requires install of bloatware to manage lighting. If it was a matter of load it once and then it remembers your setting, fine, but most seem to be running at a background service. WTF. Hell id rather turn the RGB off all together with a mechanical switch on the mouse in that case.

2) Middle mouse buttons that require a hammer to click. Razer seem the worst on this. Others not far behind. Why not set the force to something comfortable for sustained use.

3) Cables coming out at weird places. A steelseries gripe. With detachable cables that run nearly perfectly at the base of the mouse glides.

4) INSANELY loud clicks. Oh my this has really gotten me annoyed, usually I dont notice with headphones but when other people in the household come into the room to wonder why theres so much noise from... a mouse. WTF. Now someone has pointed it out ive noticed it on a lot of them how they have some insane loud and high pitched clicks. Compared to mice from yesteryear with soft switches.

5) Crap glides with sharp edges. These just get snagged on anything except a perfect new or flat mousemat.

6) Side mouse buttons that are so far forward they might as well not exist.

7) DPI buttons that stick up so high they are uncomfortable.

I have a Razer deathadder elite, I love it. It replaced a previous deathadder mouse.

1.) I don't care about lighting, I do not install bloatware. The mouse functions work perfect as soon as I plugged it in, the RBG light can do what it likes, couldn't care less. Why are people so obsessed with their peripherals lighting features these days?

2.) I owned several Razers, never had an issue with this. Maybe look up some exercises you can do to strengthen the relevant muscles?

3.) Cables comes out the front centre where it should.

4.) I've never noticed this from my Razer mice and I am sensitive to annoying sounds.

5.) Again never had this from any Razer mice.

6.) As above

7.) As above

Soldato
try being left handed, nearly every mouse has only buttons on the right side of the mouse, unless you go expensive

I remember when logtech used to do left handed mice

Side buttons are typically on the left of the mouse for right-handed (where the thumb would be for a righty), there are some mice that have mirrored side buttons (left and right), my previous mouse has that (Cougar 450M), drove me nuts hitting the right side buttons by mistake at times (you can't turn them off).

Caporegime
Side buttons are typically on the left of the mouse for right-handed (where the thumb would be for a righty), there are some mice that have mirrored side buttons (left and right), my previous mouse has that (Cougar 450M).
yea I meant to say "right handed side of the mouse"

if your left handed it's basically a 2 button mouse

I usually go ambidextrous and where both sides of the mouse are mirrored with buttons.

but it limits my options and forces me to probably spend more than I otherwise would if I were right handed.

maybe some people can use side buttons with their fingers, to me it just feels alien. I need a thumb.

Soldato
Juuuuust you all wait. Have plans afoot for a beast of a (more MMO style/button heavy) mouse but... with a take that's not really been done yet. Could sum it up nicely in about 10 words but would totally give the game away. There's bits of some of the ideas around already but... I learned the hard way not to talk much. I mentioned once about "hey, why not a thumb stick on a mouse!?" in the logitech forums aaaaand then one of the ex-logitech guys rocked up on kickstarter with the lexip so... will say little till I got something down.

Randomly though, another vote for the g502/SE/Hero (mine being the 502 hero SE) definitely possible to set up almost everything, pull it onboard and uninstall g-hub.
I'm kinda at a point of stealing electronics and shells from other mice and hacking bits off/adding bits with a 3D printer. The 502 might end up being the basis of mine (with much modification) just due to the initial shell shape.

Back
Top Bottom