Poll: Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2021, Jeddah - Race 21

Rate the 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If you go round him round the outside he just brakes late and straight lines the corner and cuts you up. If you go round him up the inside he brakes late and cuts you up at the next corner.

You just can't have wheel to wheel racing with the guy he simply will not yield.

Soldato
Thought the race was a farce for far too many reasons. Red flags that hadn't been red flags in previous races, poor stewarding and negotiations between team principals and race direction and then stupid dangerous driving from multiple drivers.

The decision making of the stewards just means other f1 drivers and in lower formulas will keep pushing and pushing until someone gets hurt, all for entertainment. Yes motorsport is dangerous but certain rules are there to limit that risk and maxs antics show he just doesn't care whatsoever and the stewards jsut further push his mind down the I can do what I want route.

Track as expected was poor and had 0 overtaking opportunities if you took out the drs zone. Although it was impressive seeing the speed on TV.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I don't think it's a coincidence Red Bull were keen to take Masi's deal and not send this incident to the stewards.
I don’t blame any team for accepting the deal in that circumstance but if the rules are there, enforce them.

What next? Chap gets soccer kicked in a UFC fight (an illegal move), but don’t worry if you agree then you’ll be allowed to have the first punch next round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Lewis was just asked why he didn't just pass Max and said that if he overtook him Max would have had DRS to retake him.

This was 1 of 2 reasons he gave, so he was aware of the DRS line like the other former drivers said.

What no one seems to be talking about is that Max was obviously aware of the DRS line too and that's the ENTIRE reason he slowed so sharply, as he wanted Lewis to pass him before the line so he could attack him with DRS down the straight.

Why literally none of the commentators or pundits seemed to realise this at all and kept on about "brake testing" literally boggled my mind.

Soldato
I know this is a bit of a nasty title race with ill feeling, plenty of farce and over the top competitiveness, but it’s been excellent for the sport in the way of drawing viewers and new fans in.

Upto this season I could take or leave F1, but this season has made it absolutely essential viewing and now I’m hooked. I’ve gone from maybe watching a race to tuning in for all the practice sessions!

Im the same as you. Only started watching recently and by what im seeing on social media its reeling a lot in. Other then cars going vroom I really have no idea whats going on half the time but its fun to watch.

Associate
I remember getting up in the early ish hours to watch Prost and Senna hit each other 2 championship deciding races in a row, but i've never been this annoyed and frustrated at a race , even the Schumacher / Hill seems less frustrating, although maybe at the time i was this wound up.

Pure dirt. Horrible. And nothing the FIA does makes it any better. Only when they kicked out Schumacher to give it to Villenueve does it make sense, it feels like we've learnt nothing in 20 years.

Soldato
Any linky link for this bit?

Tom Clarkson asked him in the drivers press conference, I was watching it live so no link off hand.

What no one seems to be talking about is that Max was obviously aware of the DRS line too and that's the ENTIRE reason he slowed so sharply, as he wanted Lewis to pass him before the line so he could attack him with DRS down the straight.

Why literally none of the commentators or pundits seemed to realise this at all and kept on about "brake testing" literally boggled my mind.

Well yeah, that would have been what Max's strategist was referring to when he told Max to strategically let Lewis past.

Personally I don't see any problem with this, Max and Lewis are the best for a reason, they both knew what was going on, except for colliding into each other :D

Associate
Di'resta needs sacking off. Basically saying with 100% fact lewis was playing games for the DRS line which is why the crash happened, Max being told to give play strategically (so bloody obvious what this means) but PDR is like na cant see that being the case for Max blah blah. Max 100% has to move off racing line to let lewis through, this didnt happen and through his actions it has to be dangerous driving simple surely?

Track is awful imo. I dislike street tracks anyway, but this track just seems like every race will be a total mess with severe accidents likely to happen.

Stewards were a shambles, I didnt realise that instead of laying down the law they just offer a get out of jail free card etc with mid race bargaining, just crazy.

Soldato
Tom Clarkson asked him in the drivers press conference, I was watching it live so no link off hand.

Well yeah, that would have been what Max's strategist was referring to when he told Max to strategically let Lewis past.

Personally I don't see any problem with this, Max and Lewis are the best for a reason, they both knew what was going on, except for colliding into each other :D

There's a problem with it when it results in idiotic moves like Max standing on the brakes in an attempt to get Lewis to cross the detection line first.

Max has been watching too much Top Gun - "hit the brakes, he'll fly right by".

It now seems like we need a rule adding that, when a driver is ordered by race control to cede a place, it's done on a straight, by slowing gently and moving off the racing line etc.

Previously you'd have said such a rule was unnecessary and drivers were capable of exercising judgement in these situations but, as usual, Max doesn't have any judgement.

Soldato
When are we likely to know the outcome of the stewards investigation?

Nothing official but saw both drivers on Ted's notebook and verstappen didn't look particularly unhappy given the result and hamilton looked happy so would guess that if anything has been given like a penalty it hasn't changed the result.

Soldato
Stewards were a shambles, I didnt realise that instead of laying down the law they just offer a get out of jail free card etc with mid race bargaining, just crazy.
An important distinction here, it's not the stewards offering these deals, it's the race director offering them in lieu of referring something to the stewards.

The stewards won't get involved unless something is referred to them by Masi.

Soldato
Why would Lewis get a penalty, crash was the 1 moving and breaking
Dangerous driving forcing max off the road several times this year...hitting him in the back you know insurance claims usually side with the car being hit ..... :rolleyes: then most people do not even realise Mercedes have had an illegal engine for several years they got a 1.5 year headstart on all the other F1 teams as they got the FIA contract to spec & blueprint the hybrid engine to gain an unfair advantage...but its not cheating no guvnor we would never share those secrets with our own engineers would we :rolleyes: basically all of Mercedes WDC have been illegal because of this ;):p but don't let the actual facts stand in the way of lulu fanboy worship syndrome......:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom