Poll: Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2021, Jeddah - Race 21

Rate the 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The funny thing is that Max and Horner actually keep saying stuff like "well as you can see both drivers left the track anyway". They can't honestly believe that this is fair racing, they are just talking smack. Yes...drivers tend to have to leave the track as well when forced to.

Caporegime
On the rules front- I think there does seem to be some rethinking on the penalty front going forward.

Max and Lewis often end up miles ahead of everyone else, which means time penalties don't do anything. I think position drops or point reductions should come in as punishments for more severe transgressions in future seasons, in case we have another situation where two drivers are ridiculously faster than everyone else.

Caporegime
The problem with Max is he has it down to an art. He will not ram him off but will make sure neither will make the corner unless the other driver yields which is not right.

He done it at Monza, Silverstone and several times yesterday. Unless the FIA punish those behaviours it will continue to be done. I can remember when drivers used to weave all over the place then the rule was made that you could only make one defensive move and stick to it.

They need to do something similar like that where if you are not attempting to make the bend but simply blocking the other driver from making a corner then the position should be given back. It is no different to body checking in football.

Yep, he just brakes incredibly late ensuring he won't make the corner, but also ensuring that the other car won't make it either/stay ahead of him.

It isnt good racing if the only way to keep your position is to brake so late that you go off the track. Its just cheating, and a Max just keeps on doing it.

When he did it yesterday after the 1st restart, he totally **** Lewis because he rejoined and pushed him out wide, allowing OCON to pass him too.

Soldato
When he did it yesterday after the 1st restart, he totally **** Lewis because he rejoined and pushed him out wide, allowing OCON to pass him too.
If we hark back a couple of years (or maybe pre-Max), in isolation that would have been a serious incident. Commentators would have slated him, it would have been called dangerous and he would have been penalised for it. But now it's practically swept under the carpet.

I mean ffs Max rejoined the road, slapped across the front of Lewis who had to take major avoiding action (brake and go wide) which in the end lost him two places unfairly. Madness.

Soldato
The funny thing is that Max and Horner actually keep saying stuff like "well as you can see both drivers left the track anyway". They can't honestly believe that this is fair racing, they are just talking smack. Yes...drivers tend to have to leave the track as well when forced to.

I used to think that but the more times goes on the more I think they believe their own rhetoric.

Soldato
I thought that was a brilliant race. You never knew what was going to happen next.

I'm so surprised everyone's being so hard on Max. What is the guy expected to do - just let Hamilton cruise past? Of course he's going to let him pass before the DRS detection zone, and run him wide and push every limit. All the greats have pushed the limits. Senna, Prost, Schumacher - they all 'cheated'. That's how you win.

Watching a superior car cruise to an uncontested victory is about as dull as F1 gets.

Caporegime
Yep, he just brakes incredibly late ensuring he won't make the corner, but also ensuring that the other car won't make it either/stay ahead of him.

It isnt good racing if the only way to keep your position is to brake so late that you go off the track. Its just cheating, and a Max just keeps on doing it.

Max made no effort to rejoin safely, he was only concerned with stopping Lewis getting past.

Caporegime
If we hark back a couple of years (or maybe pre-Max), in isolation that would have been a serious incident. Commentators would have slated him, it would have been called dangerous and he would have been penalised for it. But now it's practically swept under the carpet.

I mean ffs Max rejoined the road, slapped across the front of Lewis who had to take major avoiding action (brake and go wide) which in the end lost him two places unfairly. Madness.

Yep. It's bizarre. Max was just dangerous yesterday and a DSQ wouldn't have been unfair. He needs teaching a lesson that continually cheating isn't acceptable.

Soldato
There's a difference between racing hard and fierce competition....and acting like a child and driving straight through corners when you've been beaten by a better driver.

Max needs to grow up.

I'd love to see a fair scrap between those two for the title. The awful cars don't help, but all the 'drama' being reduced to negotiating with the race director, and Max driving people off the circuit. Yawn.

Associate
Having slept on it, that easily has to be one of the worst races I’ve seen in terms of control, or lack of it.
DC was winding me up comparing Max and Hamilton incident with his in Spa ‘98
No pal, Schumacher was completely unsighted because of spray.
Quite glad Max let Hamilton past because I dread to think what would happen in combat with shot tyres
One day Max will get his comeuppance and poetic justice says it will be in Abu Dhabi

Man of Honour
A bit dramatic. We've seen hijinx and mind games throughout F1. You want to shut the drama down? You'll be complaining it's boring then.
No it's not, Max clearly has very little regard for safety, demonstrated multiple times this season. His massive impact in Silverstone, his tyre going over Lewis's head, 2.4 G brake tests, rejoining tracks without a care in the world. All things he could have avoided by racing clean. And that's just this season.

Transmission breaker
Don
I'm so surprised everyone's being so hard on Max. What is the guy expected to do - just let Hamilton cruise past? Of course he's going to let him pass before the DRS detection zone, and run him wide and push every limit. All the greats have pushed the limits. Senna, Prost, Schumacher - they all 'cheated'. That's how you win.

Watching a superior car cruise to an uncontested victory is about as dull as F1 gets.

Whilst I agree, watching any attempted overtake on Max is pure entertainment, this is not WWE. Its a race, and one with rules to encourage fair racing, with minimal if any contact, so the fastest driver/car/tactics combination wins.

We simply do no get this with Max's "defending". Racing hard, and making mistakes is part of the game, but the pattern here with Max is simply always the same. He will attempt to put you off if you do not sail by on the straight.

Everyone else manages it 99% of the time, but for some reason, overtaking Max becomes a pure lottery every time.

Soldato
No it's not, Max clearly has very little regard for safety, demonstrated multiple times this season. His massive impact in Silverstone, his tyre going over Lewis's head, 2.4 G brake tests, rejoining tracks without a care in the world. All things he could have avoided by racing clean. And that's just this season.
What's your view on Schumacher? Dirty driver, undeserved of his titles?

Man of Honour
I thought that was a brilliant race. You never knew what was going to happen next.

Hurr durr it's been done in the past so it's fine

Hamilton has seven world championships and I don't remember him 'cheating'.

Caporegime
Ocon had an amazing race. No incidents. Was really impressed. Even went up against Hamilton, not afraid of screwing the WDC. As it should be.

Max was desperate throughout. Understandable? Maybe. Unacceptable? Definitely

Man of Honour
What's your view on Schumacher? Dirty driver, undeserved of his titles?
Changing the subject I see. What does my views of Schumacher have to do with Max? It's plain as day, everyone can see it. Well, apart from RBR, Max and their fans, according to them driving like you're in a BTCC car is completely acceptable at 200+ Kph.

Soldato
Changing the subject I see. What does my views of Schumacher have to do with Max? It's plain as day, everyone can see it. Well, apart from RBR, Max and their fans, according to them driving like you're in a BTCC car is completely acceptable at 200+ Kph.
I'm just trying to bring up comparisons, you know, in the same sport. Sorry, seems a bit much of an ask of you. Proceed.

Soldato
Im hoping Lewis takes it this year, then next Merc and Redbull are further back in 2022 and Lewis doesn't feel he has to jump out of the way for the Championship.

People need to start just leaving the car there and letting carnage happen, but it's an expensive lesson to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom