Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Seems like the rule book went out of the window today.

That is a troubling precedent to set.

There’s no doubt Max is a brilliant driver and a worthy champion. I’m just not sure I can stretch to todays outcome being the right one. Not yet anyway.

I’m in the camp of what’s right (I’m not a massive fan of either protagonist).

Irrelevant of the circumstances and the status of the championship the rules should be followed. If it transpires Masi was well within his rights to make that call on the SC, then that is fair enough but I’m not sure that will be the case.

I guess time will tell.

Caporegime
I think we can safely say that there is no love lost towards Michael M by the majority of folk on here.
(I'm neither here or there on the subject).

But lets address, why Michael took this decision?
Was it really to let them race? Was it pressure from Christian screaming at him? Did Toto not object enough?
Did he want to bring WWE to F1?

Incidentally I know a lot of people have been quoting the FIA regulations... and this is absolutely correct.
And I am not saying this is the same as a game of football, but sometimes the referee gets it wrong and there have been games won based on controversial referee decisions.... and never changed after the event...
So by the same token, is the Michaels decision final as the race director?

(All genuine questions to the masses and not intending to troll anyone).

I'm not sure, but the regulations seem pretty cut and dry. The safety car comes in the following lap after all lapped cars have passed.

It's awful to just make up the rules as you go.

As they are saying on SKY now, the regulations were not followed.

Merc made a strategy decision based on the RULES , not what Masi makes up in his head at the time..

The race director can't just arbitrarily decide which cars unlap themselves to give the advantage to one driver and one driver only.

Merc made the right call because the race should have finished under the safety car.

Associate
Bottas should have just crashed under the SC...

I think if this happened or stopping on track they would have black flagged him stopped or not and punished Mercedes’ and Hamilton for creating an intentionally dangerous track situation to gain a team benefit.

Similarly I think any action that was deemed intentional by Perez that took out LH would have seen MV punished/lose the championship as well as significant penalties going in to the new season and against the drivers and teams.

Soldato
So by the same token, is the Michaels decision final as the race director?

(All genuine questions to the masses and not intending to troll anyone).

No he shouldn't be replaced.

The FIA and teams need to sit down and talk this out, you can't have teams badgering the FIA like we've seen every race.

Masi has come out looking badly this season but if he's replaced by somebody else and nothing else changes the same thing is going to keep happening.

I don't believe for one second that this sort of pressure was going on when Charlie was in charge.

Soldato
We had seen a race for 50 plus laps.

Which was then turned in to a complete farce.

How about in future we make all grand prix a one lap shoot out where everyone is on different tyres?

Sound fair?

No of course not.

it’s the risk of racing though, it happens all the time, a sc basically removes XX previous laps.

It sucks for both parties, Can they really take the WDC from max cause Masi made a **** call?

In the other camp Masi took the WDC from Lewis on a **** call.

At the end of the day Mercs strategy lost them the race.

Caporegime
it’s the risk of racing though, it happens all the time, a sc basically removes XX previous laps.

It sucks for both parties, Can they really take the WDC from max cause Masi made a **** call?

In the other camp Masi took the WDC from Lewis on a **** call.

At the end of the day Mercs strategy lost them the race.

Yes they can, because it wasn't Max's championship.

Soldato
I'm conflicted now, on one hand a wrong has been done and Merc are well within their rights to get it looked at.

On the other I really don't want Lewis winning the title 2 weeks later in some courtroom. Plus it'll stoke up the Max/Horner 'everyone's against us' sentiment.

Cheers FIA.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Let’s be honest, I can’t see the WDC result being overturned.

It’s merely likely that this’ll result in some nothing slap on the wrist for Masi.

The backlash from overturning the championship result would be 1000x worse than letting the race end under a SC.

Soldato
I’m in 2 minds. One hand Masi basically handed the race over and bent rules, the other hand he let racings happen where it mattered on a last minute judgement call then merc lost to strategy.

if merc pit Lewis, he had the quicker car so Lewis still wins. So taking the questionable call out Merc lost this by putting early, then not putting again, then not putting under SC. Even Lewis On hards 20 laps newer has a solid chance right there.

Congrats to Max, great to see a new Champion and makes next season even more interesting looking, lewis pushing for record breaking in a new car atleast.

Masi would be catching grief what ever call he made.

Unlap all cars - races ends under SC

no cars unlap - give RB almost no chance despite playing the better strategy

do what he done - RB win from the better strategy.

All of them Masi gets hate, atleast this way we got a race out of it.

The thing is it's almost a panto villian, you were playing by the rules but a-ha I'm playing by different rules.

That's where I have the problem, Merc gambled on the rules as they seem to be written - basically that the race would end up a safety car or they'd have enough lapped cars to hold on to the win. It was a gamble but a gamble based on the rules - not the rules that seemed to have been made up just to have an exciting end.

Soldato
I think if this happened or stopping on track they would have black flagged him stopped or not and punished Mercedes’ and Hamilton for creating an intentionally dangerous track situation to gain a team benefit.

Similarly I think any action that was deemed intentional by Perez that took out LH would have seen MV punished/lose the championship as well as significant penalties going in to the new season and against the drivers and teams.

Nah not if bottas just loses it.. warming up his tyres..

Caporegime
Let’s be honest, I can’t see the WDC result being overturned.

It’s merely likely that this’ll result in some nothing slap on the wrist for Masi.

But Merc made the decision based on the rules. It was the correct decision as the race would have finished under the safety car under the rules.

If the rules can just be made up on the fly, how can any team make strategy calls?

Soldato
Teams can't keep racing in this championship like this.

There's no way the people in charge don't look at this and consider Mercedes place in F1 at the next board meeting.

All the other teams surely have got to be thinking WTF happened there then?

It might be nice for Max to win and a new champion to be crowned.. but you can't pump that much money into something for it to possibly be for nothing on a whim.

I'd be very concerned if I was Masi right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom