Poll: F1 2022 - Pre-season testing and discussion

Who will win the 2022 Formula 1 constructor's title ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't know why you'd think that, he's shown that in a competitive car he can win races
Honest question because my memory is terrible. Besides the race that he stood in for Hamilton what other evidence is there?

Christian Horner is a gaslighting, disingenuous piece of excrement.
Paywall, but I'm glad. I read the headline and immediately wanted to smash my head against a brick wall. God I hope RB are firmly midfield next year just to put his and Max's arrogance in place ..

Caporegime
Honest question because my memory is terrible. Besides the race that he stood in for Hamilton what other evidence is there?

Paywall, but I'm glad. I read the headline and immediately wanted to smash my head against a brick wall. God I hope RB are firmly midfield next year just to put his and Max's arrogance in place ..

This year has highlighted how horrible those that head red bull are. Most of them are just disgusting people.

Man of Honour
I can never make my mind up if Horner is that much of an ass that he believes what he says. Or that much of an ass to say what he knows is BS.

There’s a few livery changes I’d like to see. Top of the list is Aston, I’d like them to stick to green but I’m not a fan of their current green and even in person it doesn’t look great IMO.

Aston talked earlier in the year about changing the shade of green for 2022, fingers crossed because it doesn't look great currently.

Man of Honour
I don't know why you'd think that, he's shown that in a competitive car he can win races, that's one of the most gutting things about the 2020 season, he was so close to getting his first win!

I guess it depends on how bad you think Bottas is.

In 2020 you could have put Mazepin in the Merc and he could have won that race, I'm just saying I've seen little in F1 yet to suggest that Russell is anything special, one race aside though he's basically been driving around in one of the worst car's we've ever seen in F1 (Haas aside).
He scored 16 points v 7 points for Latifi in 2021 - a 9 point gap which would have likely been zero if any actual racing had taken place at Spa; and I don't believe Latifi is anything but a journeyman pay driver.

Caporegime

He won F3 and then F2 in consecutive seasons, comfortably beating Norris along the way. And, yeah, these feeder series aren't F1 but they're not nothing either. George and Leclerc have very strong pre-F1 records. Leclerc got a car that let him show his class in his second season; Russell has been trundling around in a potato. Given the opportunity in a quality car - that he couldn't even fit in properly - he knocked it out of the park and would likely have won even after Mercedes' massive tyre blunder if he hadn't suffered a subsequent puncture. Meanwhile people forgive Pérez half a season of mediocrity for getting into the Red Bull even with two days of pre-season testing. Alongside his simply breathtaking one-lap pace in Qualifying I don't see he can possibly have proven his quality more given the material he's had to work with.

Soldato
In 2020 you could have put Mazepin in the Merc and he could have won that race, I'm just saying I've seen little in F1 yet to suggest that Russell is anything special, one race aside though he's basically been driving around in one of the worst car's we've ever seen in F1 (Haas aside).
He scored 16 points v 7 points for Latifi in 2021 - a 9 point gap which would have likely been zero if any actual racing had taken place at Spa; and I don't believe Latifi is anything but a journeyman pay driver.
Yeah but won f3 and f2 as a rooky. Consistently fast when testing f1 cars, I don't think Marzepan would have got anywhere near Bottas. But anyway all that doesn't matter, results next year relative to Lewis matter, just look at Vandorne.

Soldato
He won F3 and then F2 in consecutive seasons, comfortably beating Norris along the way. And, yeah, these feeder series aren't F1 but they're not nothing either. George and Leclerc have very strong pre-F1 records. Leclerc got a car that let him show his class in his second season; Russell has been trundling around in a potato. Given the opportunity in a quality car - that he couldn't even fit in properly - he knocked it out of the park and would likely have won even after Mercedes' massive tyre blunder if he hadn't suffered a subsequent puncture. Meanwhile people forgive Pérez half a season of mediocrity for getting into the Red Bull even with two days of pre-season testing. Alongside his simply breathtaking one-lap pace in Qualifying I don't see he can possibly have proven his quality more given the material he's had to work with.
Max Verstappen has never won a championsip in f2,f3 etc apparently?!?! is this true?

Caporegime
Max Verstappen has never won a championsip in f2,f3 etc apparently?!?! is this true?

Yeah, he's one of the few drivers on the grid that never won any single seater championship pre-F1. But with Max that's mostly because they brought him into F1 very young without him even racing in most of these championships, the most significant he took part it was the Formula 3 European (which is a step down from F3 proper) where he came 3rd, behind Ocon in 1st. Arguably this lack of experience contributed to his Crashtappen years. He was pretty much why they introduced superlicense points to stop other drivers being brought in without this grounding; which handily also cut out the worst of the pay-drivers (you think Mazepin is bad? Try Deleda or Galael).

Soldato
He won F3 and then F2 in consecutive seasons (snip)
Fairy nuff :) Unfortunately I don't have the time to follow any of the lower rungs. Good to hear he's got some winning experience behind him. Should be interesting.

But he can turn water to wine so ya know... Why do you think I get so incensed when people were calling him one of the best drivers that ever lived even before the ****show that was the final race this year? :p It's crazy... The boys got speed sure... in the one car.. he's been driving for 7 years... :o

Soldato
I don’t see Mercedes’ planning any revenge on Max or Red Bull next season and will just approach it with a fresh mind. There is no guarantee Red Bull will be their contender, heck there is no guarantee Mercedes will be in contention. There are way too many unknowns at this stage regarding next season.

No matter what next year is going to be juicy!

Caporegime
I don’t see Mercedes’ planning any revenge on Max or Red Bull next season and will just approach it with a fresh mind. There is no guarantee Red Bull will be their contender, heck there is no guarantee Mercedes will be in contention.

Indeed, and while the competition got a bit ugly off track, I don't think Merc are particularly angry with Max or Red Bull here. Were the roles reversed they'd have done the same; you compete on the playing field you are given. It's Masi that let everyone down.

Merc, I think, are in a good position: they have probably the best engine and unlike RB will have modified their engine targetted to the new cars before the freeze begins. They'll be near the front, I am sure, but I have hunch we'll see a changing of the guard next season with my money on Ferrari. Mercedes purple patch surely can't continue forever.

Man of Honour
Toto Wolff interviewed about Bottas leaving:

Wolff then suggested the door will remain open to Bottas and a potential return to Mercedes in the years to come.

The Mercedes boss said: “Well maybe you go on a little bit of a sabbatical with Alfa Romeo and then we see how many more [numbers] we can add.

Bottas responded: “The speed of this sport…you never know what comes ahead of you. At least I know for the next few years but you never know [after that].”

Back as Number 2 in 2023 once Lewis retires? Lol

Soldato
Kimi went from formula renault to f1, I don't think wining in f2 and f3 is a judge of a drivers ability at all

This is true, but Russell has been driving the wheels of that Williams and getting it into places it had no right being.

I expect as a Mercedes youth driver he will have access to the works team simulators etc too which will help him get into the car and be more competitive from the start. This possibly explains his great performance when he stepped in for Lewis for one race.

Of course it could have been luck. It could also have been that he is a seriously fast driver.

Add to this his performance in F3 and F2 and I think it would be poor judgement to write him off. If I were a gambling man, I would say in a competitive car, Russell is in with a shout at WDC unless clear team orders are at play.

Soldato
I don’t see Mercedes’ planning any revenge on Max or Red Bull next season and will just approach it with a fresh mind
I think you're right as it's the best approach for a sensible team mindset. But what happens when mad Max missiles up the inside and forced Lewis or George off track? They ain't gonna take that **** no more! We'll be straight back at the arguments off track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom