Poll: F1 2022 - Pre-season testing and discussion

Who will win the 2022 Formula 1 constructor's title ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Only when all or most agree it is a change to mainly increase reliability/safety , will the change be allowed.

I don't want to retread this, since we already discussed this upthread, but this isn't correct - that's not what the rule says - and @chrcoluk is correct that even pure reliability changes also allow increased performance. Interested readers can go and find the previous discussion.

Caporegime
I don't want to retread this, since we already discussed this upthread, but this isn't correct - that's not what the rule says - and @chrcoluk is correct that even pure reliability changes also allow increased performance. Interested readers can go and find the previous discussion.

Well you better go tell a lot of F1 engineers you know better than they do, as how I have explained it, is exactly how many have explained it to me when I asked ex colleagues how they see the rules being implemented this year.

Changes WILL ONLY be allowed that effect reliability and safety, if increased performance is deemed to be a main result, the changes will not be allowed.

There would be zero point in an engine feeeze, if manufacturers just built unreliable engines, knowing they can change things later and get better performance.

Which is exactly why any submitted changes will be shown to the other engine manufacturers so they can veto the change if they believe it will result in a noticeable increse in performance.

All manufacturers know this, so they basically self police themselves, possibly why we have seen very reliable engines all through testing.

Soldato
Yeah development on engine totally frozen now unless you, as an engine manufacturer, can prove to the satisfaction of FIA and F1, and to an extent the other engine manufacturers, that any changes you want to do are purely to cure reliability or safety issues with your engine.
That's not strictly true. The MGU-K, control unit and energy store are only frozen from September, so in theory can freely be developed until then - though of course grid penalties will apply if they start throwing updates around, which might be worth it in the long run if one of the manufacturers are adrift in the championship.

Caporegime
That's not strictly true. The MGU-K, control unit and energy store are only frozen from September, so in theory can freely be developed until then - though of course grid penalties will apply if they start throwing updates around, which might be worth it in the long run if one of the manufacturers are adrift in the championship.

I meant engine as in the engine, the Internal Combustion Engine itself not all the ancillaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom