The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Got an Ooni Koda 16 with cover and bamboo peel on the way and cannot wait to give it a go!

Time to shop for some 00 flour as only have strong bread at the moment.

Hope you have a gas bottle already!

I got a 12” for Xmas, rang round all the local bottle retailers and they are prohibited by Calor from selling bottles without exchanging for an empty. Managed to get one off Facebook marketplace for a few £ though so crisis averted.

Permabanned
Hope you have a gas bottle already!

I got a 12” for Xmas, rang round all the local bottle retailers and they are prohibited by Calor from selling bottles without exchanging for an empty. Managed to get one off Facebook marketplace for a few £ though so crisis averted.

Just got one from a local garage, pay deposit, pay for gas, go swap when empty. :confused: or even DIY shops.

Soldato
Just got one from a local garage, pay deposit, pay for gas, go swap when empty. :confused: or even DIY shops.

Well yes, I know how it works but none of them would sell one to me without an existing bottle to exchange. Hence going to facebay to get one for a few £.

They all said they are prevented by Calor from selling to anyone without an empty bottle to return. Why would I make that up? :confused:

Soldato
Well yes, I know how it works but none of them would sell one to me without an existing bottle to exchange. Hence going to facebay to get one for a few £.

They all said they are prevented by Calor from selling to anyone without an empty bottle to return. Why would I make that up? :confused:

I got told that at my local supermarket but they let me have one as they had quite a few in stock.

Soldato
Got an Ooni Koda 16 with cover and bamboo peel on the way and cannot wait to give it a go!

Time to shop for some 00 flour as only have strong bread at the moment.

Nice, we've had our Koda 16 for almost a year now. Three gas bottles and a lot of pizza later and just about got the recipe nailed down. We're going to do pizzas again on the weekend, will finally take some photos! (the temptation to eat is just too strong ...)

Used to use the red pizza flour as it's available in the stores here, but found better success with the Caputo blue bought online (https://www.prestigebuyonline.com/caputo-flour-blue-15kg.html) - I do a 3-day cold prove and get much better fermentation with this flour than the red.

Soldato
Nice, we've had our Koda 16 for almost a year now. Three gas bottles and a lot of pizza later and just about got the recipe nailed down. We're going to do pizzas again on the weekend, will finally take some photos! (the temptation to eat is just too strong ...)

Used to use the red pizza flour as it's available in the stores here, but found better success with the Caputo blue bought online (https://www.prestigebuyonline.com/caputo-flour-blue-15kg.html) - I do a 3-day cold prove and get much better fermentation with this flour than the red.

You should try this one for long prove times. The higher strength is what your looking for.
https://www.prestigebuyonline.com/b...ours/caputo-red-pizza-flour-type-00-15kg.html

I'm going to try this one next supposed to be just about the best for long proves. But it's a bit more expensive.
https://www.prestigebuyonline.com/b...s/caputo-flours/caputo-super-nuvola-15kg.html

Soldato
- thought he said he had used the red ?

the Mutti tomatoes have been a changer for me - just need to look for deals ;
I would still like to do a xmas oriented pizza so was considering pre-cooking some sausagemeat+sage/onion stuffing - the original was eaten with the xmas bird.

Soldato
OP
I use this one, unsure if its the same as the red above.

10x Farina Molino Caputo Pizzeria by Pizza Napoli Pizza Flour Pizza Flour 1kg : Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

I did a sort of christmas pizza on boxing day, used leftover pigs in blankets as a topping. :cry:

I have used the Caputo Red before, just finished a 25KG sack, really nice flour. Worth noting though that on the Caputo side of things it's a good flour with Great marketing. You can get better for less

https://salvo1968.co.uk/dallagiovanna-pizza-flour-00.html

Caputo red is still a very good flour mind. Have you tried making a starter with the Caputo Manitoba then going onto red for the full mix. NEXT Level flavours.

Permabanned
I have used the Caputo Red before, just finished a 25KG sack, really nice flour. Worth noting though that on the Caputo side of things it's a good flour with Great marketing. You can get better for less

https://salvo1968.co.uk/dallagiovanna-pizza-flour-00.html

Caputo red is still a very good flour mind. Have you tried making a starter with the Caputo Manitoba then going onto red for the full mix. NEXT Level flavours.

Yeah, just bought the other due to convenience of Amazon. :cry:

That looks a far better deal but would have to make sure I can store that much flour! First lockdown we went through about 40kg of flour, baking most days but one 20KG bag got thrown out eventually (ordered too much).

Soldato
You should try this one for long prove times. The higher strength is what your looking for.
https://www.prestigebuyonline.com/b...ours/caputo-red-pizza-flour-type-00-15kg.html

Looks interesting - I had it in my mind that cold store was colder than fridge temperatures. The blue Napolina pizzeria is knocking out some beautiful pizzas at the moment so I'm a little reluctant to change :D

I use this one, unsure if its the same as the red above.

10x Farina Molino Caputo Pizzeria by Pizza Napoli Pizza Flour Pizza Flour 1kg : Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

I did a sort of christmas pizza on boxing day, used leftover pigs in blankets as a topping. :cry:

This is the flour that we were using before (available in the stores here), it doesn't turn out pizzas as good as the blue type. I find pizzas with the red Pizzeria flour to be a little weak when stretched thin and don't puff up as much on the crust. I heard that the red pizzeria flour was better suited to shorter proves and lower oven temperatures - we do 1 hr on the side, 3 days cold prove in the fridge, then knock back and 5 hr prove on the kitchen counter before making them in the Koda. I set the flame to half strength when the pizzas go in, with the stone at around 800 deg F (~425 deg C) per IR thermometer - takes around 45-50 seconds to cook.

Soldato
Looks interesting - I had it in my mind that cold store was colder than fridge temperatures. The blue Napolina pizzeria is knocking out some beautiful pizzas at the moment so I'm a little reluctant to change :D

This is the flour that we were using before (available in the stores here), it doesn't turn out pizzas as good as the blue type. I find pizzas with the red Pizzeria flour to be a little weak when stretched thin and don't puff up as much on the crust. I heard that the red pizzeria flour was better suited to shorter proves and lower oven temperatures - we do 1 hr on the side, 3 days cold prove in the fridge, then knock back and 5 hr prove on the kitchen counter before making them in the Koda. I set the flame to half strength when the pizzas go in, with the stone at around 800 deg F (~425 deg C) per IR thermometer - takes around 45-50 seconds to cook.
You're confusing pizzaria flour (W260/270) with Soccorosso (W300/320) flour. Soccorosso is the one for long proves.

It's odd you compare red and blue pizzaria differently the only difference is the bag size.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You're confusing pizzaria flour (W260/270) with Soccorosso (W300/320) flour. Soccorosso is the one for long proves.

It's odd you compare red and blue pizzaria differently the only difference is the bag size.

That is not entirely true. Both Red and Blue are available in 1KG / 15KG / 25KG Bags. Red has a slightly higher protein content compared to the blue.

Back
Top Bottom