The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Hey there. Thought I would share some of tonights cooking with the Uuni. I bought the Uuni 3 around October to do some home cooked, woodfired Pizzas. Absolutely love this little oven and the results are getting better every single time.

The Dough

So for this batch of Pizza, I made the dough over night and proofed in the fridge.

- 800g of Caputo type 00 Flour
- 200g of Semolina flour
- 14g of Yeast mixed in 600 ml of luke warm water
- 1Tbsp of Salt, Olive oil and Honey

GdX2X03m.jpg

Making the dough is pretty easy really. Mix the two flours together in a large bowl with the salt and the o. Separately, mix the water, yeast and honey.

I usually let it stand for a good five minutes until bubbles form on top of the water.

aeAHlRWm.jpg

From there I mix in the water into the flour and add in the olive oil. A gentle process of mixing and kneading. This makes a slightly dryer mix but a slightly later base in my opinion. Once all done, I grease up a container, and put in the dough mix and cover with film. In the fridge it goes over night.

sSDMcFgm.jpg

First thing this morning, I take out of the container and give it another kneading. and then shape it up

sSDMcFgm.jpg

3DMRPotm.jpg

3DMRPotm.jpg

2VXlAswm.jpg

The Pizza Sauce

I have tried a few different recipes for sauce. As with a lot of Italian food simplicity is key. I spent a little bit more on the tomatoes for a richer taste. I was recommended Zia Rosa tomatoes. A case of 12 tins is around £14.00 off the rainforest. *** You can say 'Amazon', OcUK don't sell tomatoes ***

28maznht.jpg

- 1x Tin of tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic minced/crushed to your liking in olive oil
- A handful of basil leaves

Once I have cooked the garlic, in goes the tomatoes and basil and again, cook on low heat for around five minutes. Let it cool for a good 30 minutes then blend to make the sauce. I make this in the morning then pretty much all of the ingredients are going on the pizza at room temperature.

The Oven

What to say about the Uuni. I love cooking with it. I can get it upto a good 480 - 500 degrees in about 15 - 20 minutes. The trick is to keep topping up the hopper with the wood pellets in between cooks to maintain temperature. 500 Degrees will cook one of these pizzas in around a minute, maybe minute and a half

BpJZc3om.jpg

The Pizzas

So with the mix I used above, I made six medium to large size pizza tonight for the family with plenty left over for lunch tomorrow. Changing to a good flour like the Caputo has made some really excellent bases. Very stretchy bases for Neopolitan style Pizza which is traditionally thin. For this kind of pizza what I have learned is that less is more. So go light on the sauce, toppings and cheese. The heavier the pizza makes it hard to 'Launch' into the oven. When I first started using the Uuni, I put too much cheese and toppings on and it made it hard to get into the oven.

Aubergine with Sundried Tomatoes, Artichokes and Shitaki Mushrooms

AOQEfwCm.jpg

Smoked Bacon with Chicken and Parmesan

EXZHPSRm.jpg

Smoked Bacon with a Bavarian Smoked Cheese

EufWI0zm.jpg

El Diablo - Spicy Chorizo with red chillis, spicy olive oil

6T1gYO5m.jpg

3 Cheese Margharita Pizza (Ricotta, Parmesan and Mozzarella)

2NQzO8em.jpg

Closing Thoughts

Using the better quality flour and proofing over night, the family all said the base was much lighter and tastier. One of the best investments I have made recently is getting wooden Pizza Peels. Infinitely easier to launch into the oven than. Using the metal ones from OOni, they base will sometimes stick and make it difficult to get in the oven without losing the shape.

Soldato
OP
I have no issues using pellets. The picture above looks more like he's using gas though as you can see the two jets from the burners.

@robj20 Deffo not gas. I have been experimenting with different ways to get the fire started e.g putting the natural fire lighters at the back of the hopper or right at the front. Tried them at the back and it was a real ball ache to keep it going. Went back to putting them at the front of the tray and it seems to start a lot quicker. Picture was took just after I started it up.

Soldato
OP
They look lovely. I love pizza so much, but feel like I’m missing out badly with the standard dominos/papa johns fare.

Doesn’t look like there’s an ounce of fat or grease on these badboys.

That's what I like about making home cooked Pizza. I need to be mindful of salt and fat in my food. Making your own sauces and dough from scratch, I can still have a relatively healthy treat and know whats going in. I managed to get a really decent block of Parmesan from the local supermarket just before the Best Before date. Compare that to the processed cheese full of fat and salt. In my opinion it tastes a lot better than Dominos Pizza hut etc.

Of course, you can look at a cost for cost basis and per pizza it's not actually too bad. For all of the six pizzas, it worked out at around £3.50 each.

Looks and sounds good op. Might wanna consider rotating the pizzas during cooking as it looks like one side is charring more than the other.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I think maybe pushed the pizzas back too much.

Soldato
OP
I use the natural firelighters @Psycho Sonny has linked. Quick, easy and convenient. Regarding the Balcas Brites pellets, picked a bag up from the local builders centre a few weeks ago, A little more smokey at the start but no issues after a few minutes. I found them to burn just as hot as the Uuni pellets which are much more expensive.

Soldato
OP
As
I need to try some different bases. I just stick with a 4 day fridge matured Neapolitan one from serious eats. I started with an uni 2s but then got one of the larger ones from Costco. Takes longer to get to temp but no faffing round inbetween pizzas letting it get back to a hotter temp due to the lack of mass maintaining the heat.

As in Pizza bases ?

If anything that is one of the aspects of Pizza cooking that I hate / love the most. trying different flour / hydration combinations. For example I tried Caputo 00 flour and it worked a treat with a very basic recipe (flour, salt, water, yeast). Swapped out to Molino Grassi flour and could not stretch a dough ball for ****. Changed the hydration and todays batch look and feel a lot better.

Soldato
OP
@robj20 Be very interested to see how you went on adding Semolina to the mix. I did a pretty big cook out on Boxing day using 10% Semolina with 90 Caputo Blue 00 at 62% hydration. Have to say it's some of the best pizzas I have made.

Soldato
OP
upThyDy.jpg

ENTER THE DRAGON.

I've been thinking for a bit about how I can combine Asian food and Pizza. So tonight this came together and wow what a banger this one is.

- Chicken Teriyaki (Homemade Teriyaki Sauce, Honey, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Garlic, Ginger)

- Teriyaki Sauce used for the base rather than a Tomato based sauce.

- Chopped Pak Choi with Corriander, corn, and Brocolli

- Homemade Chinese Chili Oil (Garlic, Ginger, Spice, Chilli etc)

The only difficulty was choosing which cheese. There was a lot of powerful flavors in this so the cheese could get lost quite easily. I opted for some all round Parmigiano Reggiano.

It had kick, it had punch and boy did this taste GOOD

Soldato
OP
what did you add that gave the strong yellow tinge on several pictures ? I had tried grated mature (=acid) cheddar in the past which appears like that, but, it seems to melt too easily ... I don't think its olive oil ..
The crusting/scaling on the dough too, probably good for the texture ... were the bases prepared in advance ?

(yes - the salad+ham wasn't a topping in the oven )

hmmm not too sure actually. I don't use Cheddar on Pizza so don't think it's the cheese. I do put some oil on the Margherita so maybe that.

Bases are not prepared in advance but the dough is. For example, that was started on Tuesday evening. Then cold fermented until Saturday. Makes a huge difference to crust and flavour of the base

Soldato
OP
what recipe you using for dough? i can't hand roll and end up using a rolling pin. far too sticky

More importantly, what recipe are you using? It will be sticky to start with but trust me, 5 to 10 minutes kneading on a work surface and your dough should be silky silky smooth.

Recipe wise try this

758G of Type 00 Flour
451g of Water
0.5 of Active Dried Yeast
22g of Salt

This will give you 5 x 250 g balls if you prove at room temperature (21 degrees) for 24 hours. Also this is a 62% Hydration that I find the best for the flour I use (Caputo Blue)

Soldato
OP
i'm using the new york times recipe - it comes well recommended it's great for flavour and consistency just awful to work with.

If its this one the one below then straight away there is a reason why your dough is very sticky and awful to work with.

• 2 teaspoons/5 grams dry active yeast
  • 4 ½ cups/625 grams all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 2 teaspoons/5 grams kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons/30 milliliters olive oil
  • 420ml water.
The ratios of of flour, water and yeast are just way off. Some helpful advice would be to get yourself (if not already got) a set of scales, dont have to pay the earth for these either. And then weigh your ingredients in the same measurements e.g. grams. The above recipe looks like FAR too much yeast and not enough salt. The second thing its around about a 70% Hydration level, it will be very sticky and hard to work with. As others have mentioned, Pizza App is a great tool as it helps you get those bakers percentages/ratios absolutely nailed.

Personal preference thing but I started with a similar one from Jamie Oliver and he said use Olive Oil. Useless addition to any dough recipe other than to grease your container for the bulk fermentation process.

Soldato
OP
Pizza Margherita

Jk3wACL.jpg

Pizza with Smoked Mozzarella, Lemon, Chilli Flakes and Warm Honey

V8oWqFz.jpg

Pizza with Sausage, Smoked Mozz, Fennel and home made caramelised onions

oifxEVJ.jpg

Pizza with Ricotta, Spinach and Pistachio

PzJcp4v.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi @Rotty I went the way of the Houlker flame guard plus one and firegate.

Postiives are that you don't need to keep topping p with pellets.

Negatives are that although the stone gets HOTTER than pellets, the back end of the oven is also very hot Easy to burn the pizza rim

Soldato
OP
Hi Rotty

I got 15Kg of Light Premium Hardwood Ash Kiln Dried Wooden Logs from The Rainforest. These are less than 20% Moisture and burn realy well. Also invested in a small saw and axe You need to cut each log down into lumps about the size of your clenched fist or slightly less. Lit with two of the eco blaze firelighters. :)

Back
Top Bottom