Old computer shop in Manchester

Associate
Hello,

This shouldn't go against competition rules as this shop is long gone. Years ago, mid 1990's, there was a computer shop just down the road from Manchester Piccadilly train station. It's where I picked up four x 1MB memory chips for my Amiga GVP hard drive. My dad also got his first PC from there, an old 386. Anyways, I can't remember the name of the shop and is annoying the hell out of me. Can anyone remember?

Soldato
Did they have two shops one in Manchester and one opposite the Mcvities biscuit factory? If so it's been driving me nuts on and off for a while trying to remember the name of it. Strangely I can't find anything on Google. What's more annoying is I used to go there a lot and spent a lot of money with them back in the day but can't for the life of me remember what they were called

Caporegime
global corporations are a good thing apparently..... so good they crushed all the competition, then get eaten by amazon and now most cities have nowhere to buy computer/gaming stuff.

I honestly thought the death of the high street would never happen in my life time but there's literally almost no reason to go to the city centre here anymore unless your buying clothes..

no dixons/curries/pc world, seems the GAME store is long gone...

even if you go looking for cookware there's pretty much the tiniest selection of pans/pots in each store... like literally 1 of each thing even in the expensive department stores

IKEA will be the last place standing at this rate

Associate
Hello,

This shouldn't go against competition rules as this shop is long gone. Years ago, mid 1990's, there was a computer shop just down the road from Manchester Piccadilly train station. It's where I picked up four x 1MB memory chips for my Amiga GVP hard drive. My dad also got his first PC from there, an old 386. Anyways, I can't remember the name of the shop and is annoying the hell out of me. Can anyone remember?

Possible they might have advertised in Computer Shopper around then? If so, might be worth trying to find an old pdf copy from around that period and scan through the hundreds of pages of adverts in it for a match?

Associate
Micro direct was next to Mcvities and the other was opposite the MRI.

There was also ***** by Levenshulme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Micro direct was next to Mcvities and the other was opposite the MRI.

There was is also **** by Levenshulme.

The second are still around, and are thus a competitor.

If it was MD, I was a regular there, spent a lot of time there as was at MMU down the road.

Bowlers computer fair in Trafford park was fun as well.

Soldato
Hello,

On the station approach? That'd be Morgans. Still around online selling newoldstock Satnavs etc when I last checked a few years ago.

Micro Direct were originally in an old bank in Burnage, before they moved to Upper Brook St in the late 90s. RAM were over the other side of Kingsway to MD.
Levenshulme had a few, before MD opened a second branch up opposite McVities. PAL and Diamond Computers stick in my memory.
Then there was VIP and Spot On....

Soldato
Morgan Computers was on the approach to Piccadilly, I got a Palm Pilot from there in the early 00's

This is the one OP is on about I believe, they used to have a weekly flyer with their offers, and they sold barebones kits. They were popular before the likes of internet stores etc. They do still exist i've just discovered, with a google search!

Soldato
I used to get the bus to micro direct all the time. Was annoying when a part was faulty (usually memory) and I would have to go back. Got my voodoo 2 from there.

Soldato
I used to goto those and also times outlet called emit in Blackburn.

I remember going to the computer shows with my mates to get a good deal on memory etc. Esp the one at the race track in Liverpool.

Soldato
My first PC in 1990, a 286-12.5Mhz machine was bought from a small outlet in Stockport. The second was a 486-33DX was specified by me and built by a company in North Manchester. Neither of which I remember. The 486 machine was the subject of many later upgrades and created my liking for building desktop computers, configuring hardware and software.

Associate
OP
On the station approach? That'd be Morgans. Still around online selling newoldstock Satnavs etc when I last checked a few years ago.

Micro Direct were originally in an old bank in Burnage, before they moved to Upper Brook St in the late 90s. RAM were over the other side of Kingsway to MD.
Levenshulme had a few, before MD opened a second branch up opposite McVities. PAL and Diamond Computers stick in my memory.
Then there was VIP and Spot On....

Morgan Computers! That's the one, thank you so much :)

Associate
OP
Just checked. Microdirect website no longer exists at all, if I go up in the loft later I'll get that price list out and post it :)

Back
Top Bottom