• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Entry level Alder Lake: i5-12400 review, the new value king

Soldato
You are reading it right, but it's the H610 that is single channel, one to avoid unless making a system for something not important.

Yeah, that would suck. Someone should tell Intel it’s the current year.

I’m thinking,

H670 (DDR5)
12700T
2x64gb of RAM with a view to 256gb

Any thoughts on that?

Soldato
Yeah, that would suck. Someone should tell Intel it’s the current year.

I’m thinking,

H670 (DDR5)
12700T
2x64gb of RAM with a view to 256gb

Any thoughts on that?

Sadly the only Alder builds I've done so far are Z690 workstation-y type affairs, looking forward to getting my teeth into the new T-series parts but ideally need to be in the lab/office for that to happen and WFH is in full swing still so only doing on paper stuff mainly, with the practical engineering and testing being somewhat limited as I don't have a huge amount of space in my home office (or equipment).

Check the boards, not sure what H670 can do 256GB DDR5, thought not looked at that many to be totally honest.

Back to topic though...

Caporegime
You're going to find it difficult to find any gaming reviews where they aren't using high end motherboards, high end coolers and high end DDR5.

Reviewers get all this crap for free as vendors want their brand names in reviews and none of it going to be "Value" hardware.

Soldato
You're going to find it difficult to find any gaming reviews where they aren't using high end motherboards, high end coolers and high end DDR5.

Reviewers get all this crap for free as vendors want their brand names in reviews and none of it going to be "Value" hardware.

TBH now Intel is a serious graphics card vendor that will change. Ryan Shrout and Tom Petersen will make sure arms get twisted. Perks of the job.

Associate
TBH now Intel is a serious graphics card vendor that will change. Ryan Shrout and Tom Petersen will make sure arms get twisted. Perks of the job.

I wonder if Intel cpu + Intel cpu will have any performance boosts over AMD cpu + Intel gpu It would make sense to work something into the build

think If I was building a computer this year it would be alder lake the 12400f looks tasty but started to do some vidio encoding and 3d modeling so may I would look a little higher

Soldato
The written article is much more in depth.

Yeah I'd hope so, it was only an overview video, but I was preparing food/cooking at the time, and I found when I use a knife and try and read at the same time I increase the chances of losing a finger like 100x fold vs watching/listening to a video.

Soldato
There should 100 quid boards, its in MSI's product lineup

Very cheapest board is ~£120, and that is bottom of the barrel, no stock anywhere, that is also obviously DDR4/PCI-E 4.0 only. Motherboard prices have become something of a joke really, even more so considering you can put a 5600X/5800X in a ~£29 A320 (not that I am saying you should do that).

Soldato
They just come out, give it a few week for stock and more models to build up, will will get a much broader range of pricing. How long did it take AMD to get b550 out after x570, and b550 was not exactly cheap either.

Soldato
They just come out, give it a few week for stock and more models to build up, will will get a much broader range of pricing.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not saying that they'll 100% stay that price, but they (Intel) need to ensure prices don't stay high for 3-6 months making the advantage they have vanish if AMD decide to react to the pricing, or have new kit out which makes the product seem uncompetitive again.

Back
Top Bottom