End of Private car ownership - thoughts?

Soldato
We are on the end of private car ownership thread you know?
I leave the EV guys to there circle jerk usually.

Edit: cheeky sod.
Fitter vs trained professional
So why have you, a qualified and professional fitter, brought into the thread a discussion about the viability of EV cars? :confused:

Soldato
So why have you, a qualified and professional fitter, brought into the thread a discussion about the viability of EV cars? :confused:

I have been saying that the ‘future’ of us all driving EVs rather than ICE was a pipe dream for many months.
It is never going to work.
Well it turns out it doesn’t have to work as we won’t all be getting EVs to replace our ICE vehicles.
We will be getting on public transport instead.
(All this was mentioned in my original prediction). It has now however been confirmed by the government.
What is so hard to comprehend?

Soldato
I really don't think that needs explaining, particularly for someone who proclaims to be familiar with this sort of thing but I'll bite. It's just not practical to individually eyeball 27 million households to check if their parking is suitable for a charge point.
As I already mentioned, you don't need to personally eyeball it, as you can do it very accurately with geospatial analysis software. Given that we do exactly this on a frequent basis, I'd again ask why they're all still extrapolating and estimating... and why their estimates vary so widely between each other.

I've yet to see anything from you or Skoda to back up your assertions that most car drivers do not have off street parking for at least one car in the face of all other signs pointing in the other direction.
I can't speak as to Skoda's assertions, as I haven't been following that part of the thread, but I don't think it has anything to do with mine... His seems to be more about the need to massively upgrade and invest in infrastructure, which is what several of your own linked reports also said, except he doesn't think it's as likely to happen as the EV advocates seem to hope. I'm inclined to agree, purely based on my experiences of working with and within the utilities industries.

But speaking of mine - My assertion is nothing to do with what I believe, but more challenging your proclamation of "fact", which appears to be based on nothing more than the loosest possible definition of "most" being an extremely general 'more than 50%'... and that this is still stated as being those households "having, or with the potential to have" off-street parking, with particular attention directed to the fact that the 'potential' for something is not the same as it actually being so, nor any indication of future likelihood, and thus why I'd further question such inclusions in these estimatory surveys of varying discrepancies. At best, these very general assessments seem to point more to a rough average in the mid-60s, percentage-wise.

I also note that, just as I mentioned beforehand, one of your articles links to an RAC Foundation breakdown of available off-street parking by Local Authority District, in which it has Reading with only 48% availability. So like I said, not even a loosest-possibly defined majority here, and we're not the only such town.
https://www.racfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/standing_still_off_street_parking_by_LA_A-Z.pdf

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato

The first article is almost exactly the same as the article in the OP. It takes what the Transport Minister said, misinterprets it, then claims she is saying something else. I already pointed this out in post 41:

They [the article author] seem to have taken the minster saying "we should ditch the 20th-century thinking centred around private vehicle ownership" as "we should ditch private vehicle ownership". There's nothing there about actually banning private vehicle ownership, or that it's existence is even mutually exclusive with shared transport schemes, yet the rest of the article is just the author acting like that's the case. Christ, the TM even says "...toward greater flexibility, with personal choice." So presumably removing private car ownership as a choice is not part of what she's suggesting.

...aside from the fact that she didn't actually suggest getting rid of private vehicle ownership....only that we should stop thinking about it as the only way we manage cars (which seems sensible)....it's still just a quote from something she said, in a speech, at a conference. It's not confirmation of government policy.

The second article, as @Bear pointed out, is the opinion of the Science Committee. It is not a confirmation of a government policy to ban private vehicle ownership.

Forgive me, but it seems like you've taken these headlines at face value and not studied what was actually said, nor who has said it or in what context. Whilst there might be some concern about these opinions, to seize of them as confirming your predictions about the government banning private cars is a bit premature.

Soldato
Forgive me, but it seems like you've taken these headlines at face value and not studied what was actually said, nor who has said it or in what context. Whilst there might be some concern about these opinions, to seize of them as confirming your predictions about the government banning private cars is a bit premature.
I mean tbf it is the British way isn't it really. Grab a headline and run with it, rather than actually understand what is happening.

The thread title is also "End of private car ownership" :cry:

Soldato
The problem with the government is they only care about London. They make policies to suit London but it doesn't work for the rest of the country, especially when it comes to transport.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom