Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Generally speaking from the brown box on the exterior wall they would run cables either internally or externally, depending on how easy it is to get to where they're trying to get to. I expect if you can provide them with a suitable run they could follow it, as long as they don't need to take up floor boards, go through loads of walls, etc. I think if you have an easy run prepared then they would probably accommodate this (with tea and biscuits to encourage it).

Thanks. That's what I was hoping, particularly for the one to get to the back of the house. Do they do a site survey first to agree it all or is it all just agreed on the day of the install? They won't have to lift any floor boards but I would want them to follow behind drainpipe and guttering

Associate
They just turned up at mine, no site survey the guy baulked a bit when I said I wanted a connection at both end of the house but he was happy to follow my route for cabling much like you wanted, discretely and did a good job. End of the day if you have two boxes they need to be wired by virgin cable, it's not like Skys remote satelitte boxes where you can put them anywhere so they have to expect some work on this side, just make sure you know where it is going and there is access.

Last edited:
Soldato
After 10 years on Plusnet with a connection speed of 32Mbps, Virgin finally cabled our street last year so it looks like we'll be moving over and going for the full monty - 1Gb fibre, 2 x TV boxes and phone. My question is around cabling - this house has never had Virgin before and I'm not a fan of exposed cables (internal or external).

I know where the external 'brown box' will be sited due to ducting in the street that runs to the house but after that point, what happens? If I understand correctly, they need to install a socket near both TVs and a socket where the router will go. Do I have any control around where they install the cables? The brown box will be next to the front door with TV points at opposite ends of the house (one around the back). My house is wired with Cat6 running back into the loft where I have my Unifi kit.

I would prefer it if they didn't run cables all around the exterior of the house to reach the TV points so can I direct them to do it any other way? I could get a cable run from the brown box location up to the loft location easily and discreetly.

Having never had Virgin before, I have no idea how the cabling works or what set up would be best.

Advice or recommendations appreciated!

Thanks.

You will probably need 2 plugs, ideally close to where they enter the house, one for the hub and one to power the fiber.

Associate
You will probably need 2 plugs, ideally close to where they enter the house, one for the hub and one to power the fiber.
No issue with plugs, it's just the route to the locations that I'm concerned about. I don't want them just taking the quickest and easiest option (which is probably running a cable around the entire outside of the house).

Associate
They went around my house but tucked under guttering and followed drain pipe and extension roof line, he did look at how he could do it internally but there was no router without a visible cable unless I pulled up the floors, external for me was the cleanest, if you have a route and it is free and clear for them they will follow it.

Soldato
I assume M100 connection will get a SH3 router/modem box? External works were completed yesterday after about 6 weeks, tree routes causing issues, which I think they have to get permission from the council for work etc.

Anyway install next Saturday, not got power nearby, so I expect it'll be an extension lead to start with sadly. I'm hoping to have decorating this year and part of the works is more power sockets and network cabling installed around the house.

Soldato
I assume M100 connection will get a SH3 router/modem box? External works were completed yesterday after about 6 weeks, tree routes causing issues, which I think they have to get permission from the council for work etc.

Anyway install next Saturday, not got power nearby, so I expect it'll be an extension lead to start with sadly. I'm hoping to have decorating this year and part of the works is more power sockets and network cabling installed around the house.
If your a new customer then you may get an SH5, I have the 100 package and been sent an SH5 (currently have an SH3)

Soldato
Anyone else get a price rise email?
I had just recontracted, now going up by £3.75 for fibre only..
I'm leaving, I can get fttc at around 60meg for £17 from my work...Slower speeds will be a pain though..

Soldato
I'm leaving, I can get fttc at around 60meg for £17 from my work...Slower speeds will be a pain though..

need to check this myself as I signed up for £25 ppm M100, but not started yet due to install delays. If there is a price increase I’m staying with Vodafone at £21 ppm

Associate
the price for your initial contract period won't change, I had notification that mine is £8.50 but won't take effect until I am out of my discount period. (£79 ultimate ommpfh, £135 orginal full price)

All the companies have annual RPI + % type statements in their contracts these days and take that statement as a reason to rise prices annual, so price hikes seem unavoidable.

Soldato
I've linked up an old BT Home Hub 6 with a Lan cable upstairs to give me better rang and also allow better game streaming.

I'm surprised to see the BT router has WiFi that can hit up to 700Mbit when near the router, but the Home Hub 4 from Virgin only gets up to 400Mbit? Is this right ?

I've stopped using the WiFi pod Virgin gave for free, I really don't see any use for it now? Can I sell the pod (assuming they're even worth anything)

Associate

great, global pandemic going on for over a year, everyone in crisis, fuel prices shot up, gas and leccie biggest price hike ever and now VM are doing their highest hike as well and everyone else is going to follow suit.

Talk about kicking everyone when they are down.

Back
Top Bottom