New TV forever changing budget, the future 8k , 120hz & 2.1 HDMI

Associate
Good morning guys.

Im trying to decide on a new tv set and my budget and needs keeps changing.

I use TV for movies and streaming services only

My whole point of upgrading was i really wanted 75" and settled for a QLED. My thoughts was were to get the Hisense 75A7GQTUK it dropped to as little as £720 in costco which i missed but still listed at £899 (hope it might drop again) the hisense would allow me to upgrade in the near future if 8k takes off?

i was considering just smashing my budget and just go for a lot better quality i want to be blown away if im honest my 6 year 58" hisense has been great but i want a little bigger and better quality.

im also considering the Samsung QE75QN85AATXXU which again costco has listed for £1850 which is a great deal but also looking at the LG OLED OLED65C14LB which is only 65" but still bigger than what i have and read so many amazing things about the sets.

do people expect 8k to take off eventually?

should i only be looking at 120HZ only? 2.1HDMI make a big difference?

heads abit burnt out with it all and keep changing my mind waiting for a price drop or sale to jump at me to make my mind up.

Hope for some advice please and if anybody owns any of the above sets.

Thanks Ads.

Soldato
8K will not take off.

The number of pixels we have now is plenty and bordeline overkill.

The objective now is to improve pixel quality. Through better brightness, colour volume, motion handling, refresh rate for gaming etc.

Unless you're super sensitive to motion judder on panning shots you'll be happy with a 65C1.

What's your viewing distance?

Don
do people expect 8k to take off eventually?

It will take off eventually, but it will likely be an even slower uptake than 4k as the difference becomes even harder to see at typical viewing distances.
Also bear in mind that decent 4k content is still not the norm, with UHD Bluray being the main source, 4k streaming still being so heavily compressed that it's barely an upgrade from good 1080P content, and most broadcast TV still being at best 1080i, or old SD resolutions.

should i only be looking at 120HZ only?

The 120HZ refresh rate now being pushed (as opposed to motion interpolation and the like that was available for a long time), is mainly a benefit for gaming on the latest generation of consoles, with both the PS5 and Xbox X able to target 120fps gaming.

If you aren't planning on gaming, then personally I'd be focusing on image quality, best HDR implementation etc.

Associate
If it were me i'd be looking at a Sony or Panasonic OLED in whatever size you want, plus some more. It's movies and shows only.

I'd argue 4k hasn't properly taken off yet. According to the rtings graph 8k being worth it requires you to sit less than 1.2m away from a 60" screen. Though 8Ks are generally not that size and way bigger equalling high costs.

The current prices aren't lightly to got much lower, some models won't go any lower now also. The 2022 lines are only a few months away now. If my requirements were merely movies and shows, i'd just make the purchase now while viewing is more regular being winter months :)

Associate
OP
Thanks so much for the input so far guys, i'll try and respond one by one :)

What's your viewing distance?

TV to sofa is Two meters away, Up until a few days ago i'd have never considered less than 75" but been thinking going from a 58" to a better quality 65" would still provide a bigger screen which i really want but also amazing quality upgrade.

I have a family member on the same street that has the living room exact same setup as me and recently picked up a 75" so its suitable with the viewing distance rather than a huge overkill/eyes burning

Associate
OP
The 120HZ refresh rate now being pushed (as opposed to motion interpolation and the like that was available for a long time), is mainly a benefit for gaming on the latest generation of consoles, with both the PS5 and Xbox X able to target 120fps gaming.

If you aren't planning on gaming, then personally I'd be focusing on image quality, best HDR implementation etc.

First time ever ive decided against a next get console currently but possibly add one in the future (PS5 no plans yet) , i have my PC with a 144hz monitor which was a fantastic and noticeably upgrade a few years ago hence me looking at that but if the 120hz makes no difference watching movies or TV then dont see as a hurdle then as the 120hz seems to be adding to costs.

Associate
OP
If it were me i'd be looking at a Sony or Panasonic OLED in whatever size you want, plus some more. It's movies and shows only.

I'd argue 4k hasn't properly taken off yet. According to the rtings graph 8k being worth it requires you to sit less than 1.2m away from a 60" screen. Though 8Ks are generally not that size and way bigger equalling high costs.

The current prices aren't lightly to got much lower, some models won't go any lower now also. The 2022 lines are only a few months away now. If my requirements were merely movies and shows, i'd just make the purchase now while viewing is more regular being winter months :)

Was abit confused with sonys TV's as the OLED variants are big money and the dont offer QLED either, reading up on it i imagine the "Full Array" is similar technology to QLED? Sony XR65X90JU could be an option as ive overlook that set.

Don
First time ever ive decided against a next get console currently but possibly add one in the future (PS5 no plans yet) , i have my PC with a 144hz monitor which was a fantastic and noticeably upgrade a few years ago hence me looking at that but if the 120hz makes no difference watching movies or TV then dont see as a hurdle then as the 120hz seems to be adding to costs.

Personally I'd doubt the current consoles have enough power to cope with 120fps at a decent quality, and unless you're playing twitch shooters it's not a huge deal imo (which as you've said you have a PC for), so yep I would put that lower down on your list of requirements

Associate
Was abit confused with sonys TV's as the OLED variants are big money and the dont offer QLED either, reading up on it i imagine the "Full Array" is similar technology to QLED? Sony XR65X90JU could be an option as ive overlook that set.

I'll try and help there, but i'm certainly no TV expect by any means.

Ignore what is essentially marketing gumph, QLED isn't a thing, as is NANO. These are Samsung and LG terms. MiniLED backlighting some consider to hover around this area, but it is an improvement for sure. MiniLED backlighting is what NEO QLED and NANO kind of is. Someone might chime in there hopefully. I'm not sure who or why, but mini Led has managed to get a blurred meaning from what i can tell.

Samsung will be starting OLEDs this year, as LG own the patent/manufacturing, or something along those lines. However still, brands do add their own tech or preferences to the OLED tech. I posted the following video in the other TV thread that just came up, and it's relevant here also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCSAdW3Wejk&t=3s
This shows that non-OLED is capable, and LG despite being the OLED go-to, doesn't win out. Sony and Panny for TL : DR.

Full array local dimming, which the forums always use FALD acronym, is to allow LCD LED TVs better contrast and light control, and generally better viewing. The cheaper tech is edge lit display, which still offers lighting zones, but much less than FALD. Also the lower end TVs, say £800 and less can use IPS panels. The IPS vs VA argument in monitors applies to TVs also, however TVs have some bigger manufacturers behind it, and essentially more sales allowing more money. So unfortunately the arguments are non directly transferable from monitor to TV, but are transferable as it's the same tech after all. Confused and undecided? Yes, good, so am I and others.

Sony XR65X90JU could be an option as ive overlook that set.

If burn-in was an issue for you, that TV is also a contender.
If being in a bright room, again non OLED.
But when your budget allows OLED, as does your viewing (movies and shows only?), then OLED would be my number 1 choice. Though realistically you need a budget, or decide if you really want a bigger TV vs a smaller TV of slightly lesser quality. You need to remember at this price range, the TVs are premium level.

Last edited:
Soldato
LG OLED OLED65C14LB.

Hi Adam, tough buying a TV these days. However, I am here to help cut through all the tech speak.

Buy that TV.

Bring it home.

Be completely blown away :)

You can thank me later ;)

EDIT: Edited for language.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'll try and help there, but i'm certainly no TV expect by any means.

Ignore what is essentially marketing gumph, QLED isn't a thing, as is NANO. These are Samsung and LG terms. MiniLED backlighting some consider to hover around this area, but it is an improvement for sure. MiniLED backlighting is what NEO QLED and NANO kind of is. Someone might chime in there hopefully. I'm not sure who or why, but mini Led has managed to get a blurred meaning from what i can tell.

Samsung will be starting OLEDs this year, as LG own the patent/manufacturing, or something along those lines. However still, brands do add their own tech or preferences to the OLED tech. I posted the following video in the other TV thread that just came up, and it's relevant here also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCSAdW3Wejk&t=3s
This shows that non-OLED is capable, and LG despite being the OLED go-to, doesn't win out. Sony and Panny for TL : DR.

Full array local dimming, which the forums always use FALD acronym, is to allow LCD LED TVs better contrast and light control, and generally better viewing. The cheaper tech is edge lit display, which still offers lighting zones, but much less than FALD. Also the lower end TVs, say £800 and less can use IPS panels. The IPS vs VA argument in monitors applies to TVs also, however TVs have some bigger manufacturers behind it, and essentially more sales allowing more money. So unfortunately the arguments are non directly transferable from monitor to TV, but are transferable as it's the same tech after all. Confused and undecided? Yes, good, so am I and others.

If burn-in was an issue for you, that TV is also a contender.
If being in a bright room, again non OLED.
But when your budget allows OLED, as does your viewing (movies and shows only?), then OLED would be my number 1 choice. Though realistically you need a budget, or decide if you really want a bigger TV vs a smaller TV of slightly lesser quality. You need to remember at this price range, the TVs are premium level.

thanks so much for the lengthy reply :)

So much info my heads fried ha, but in all seriousness some of this i have been reading about.

Our living room is very bright we face the sun in the mornings beams right through the living room most mornings and stays bright throughout the day, adding into the mix we have 7 week old twin girls in the house now so plenty of lights on too when it gets dark.

Thinking QLED or full array be a better option in these circumstance,

Associate
OP
Hi Adam, tough buying a TV these days. However, I am here to help cut through all the tech speak.

Buy that TV.

Bring it home.

Be completely blown away :)

You can thank me later ;)

EDIT: Edited for language.

Thats what i want and the reviews of that TV are incredible.

maybe just check my previous comments above :)

Soldato

I checked your comments before reading. It seems to me like you are still deciding?

If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't afford it, buy the 55 inch version.

Don't worry about brightness or anything like that. It will still look great. And if you play console games, it will look fantastic, and if you do have a movie night where you can turn the lights down a bit, they will look amazing, really, just jaw droppingly good.

However, that's only if you can afford it. What I would actually do if i I was you is set a budget, the max you can afford. And we will tell you the best TV that you can get within that budget.

Soldato

Just get the oled all the others have noticeable (and irritating) halos even the additional backlights of the minileds have halos. Also Samsung doesn't do Dolby Vision which has been adopted by streaming platforms across the board.

Also the faf above about 4k content is BS, 4K streaming content per pound is leagues above buying a 4k disc player and dropping £25-£30 on a 4k disc, not only that the Marvel 4k IMAX content on D+ is better yes I said better than the HDR10 disc version.

Associate
Just get the oled all the others have noticeable (and irritating) halos even the additional backlights of the minileds have halos. Also Samsung doesn't do Dolby Vision which has been adopted by streaming platforms across the board.

Also the faf above about 4k content is BS, 4K streaming content per pound is leagues above buying a 4k disc player and dropping £25-£30 on a 4k disc, not only that the Marvel 4k IMAX content on D+ is better yes I said better than the HDR10 disc version.

Could you mention what TVs you had before your OLEDs? The comparisons help a million.

I have to disagree about the 4k. Discs are still providing much better bit rates than streaming, as you say at a large cost, so it's still not at a good standard (too messy) imo. When bluray/1080 was the standard i remember reading comments about people were still missing out on the better sound experiences due to focus on the TV/visuals, and some saying it was actually the audio upgrade they preferred over the visuals. So i think it's very apples and oranges still in the A/V world in regards to choices and where the budget goes.

Associate
OP
I checked your comments before reading. It seems to me like you are still deciding?

If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't afford it, buy the 55 inch version.

Don't worry about brightness or anything like that. It will still look great. And if you play console games, it will look fantastic, and if you do have a movie night where you can turn the lights down a bit, they will look amazing, really, just jaw droppingly good.

However, that's only if you can afford it. What I would actually do if i I was you is set a budget, the max you can afford. And we will tell you the best TV that you can get within that budget.

Im off to costco at the weekend as first port of call as they seem to eclipse all on price so hopefully they have a few of the sets im interested on display.

C1 prob sitting top of my list atm if i can get over the size issue as it was one of my main reasoning for upgrading in the first place

Associate
Have you considered moving the seat/s closer? It might sound silly/effort, but it's free immersion if you're certain on what TV you want now and can't afford the bigger size. The quality vs immersion for movies is a tough one for sure.

Soldato
Could you mention what TVs you had before your OLEDs? The comparisons help a million.

I have to disagree about the 4k. Discs are still providing much better bit rates than streaming, as you say at a large cost, so it's still not at a good standard (too messy) imo. When bluray/1080 was the standard i remember reading comments about people were still missing out on the better sound experiences due to focus on the TV/visuals, and some saying it was actually the audio upgrade they preferred over the visuals. So i think it's very apples and oranges still in the A/V world in regards to choices and where the budget goes.

50" Samsung plasma 1080p
55" Sony edge lit 4k LCD (not great)
55" Sony 49 zone FALD 4k LCD (good but haloing and black borders let it down) still got this
55" B7 Oled still got this
65" C9 Oled current living room tv with a Sony 700 series 4k player

Yes the Atmos audio on the disc is superior if you use an AV receiver \ good soundbar to me that alone doesn't justify getting every movie on 4k disc. However unless you look for it you won't notice the picture quality difference especially on ATV to be brutally honest. I have Ready Player One, 4k DV disc, ATV 4k DV version 1080p BR version along with HD version on Google play. The ATV and disc version other than the audio look exactly the same to me and there is a considerable difference between the BR and ATV 4k with ATV looking better. I guess I could pull the Oled out the bedroom get both sets calibrated and side by side them scrutinizing the picture to find the differences but ICBA.

For streaming content the order is as follows
ATV 4k
Disney+
Netflix/Amazon (Hit and miss depending on the content)
SKY Q over compressed but HLG helps.

Here's a good video to watch

Last edited:
Soldato
8k is years away from being even a consideration in any purchase decision imo. It might even become like 3d...a feature hyped up and then done away with when they realize it's not caught on. We still have more sd channels than even hd let alone 4k. I don't know of any 8k material I have accessible to me right now on Netflix/prime/TV/apps.

Back
Top Bottom