New TV forever changing budget, the future 8k , 120hz & 2.1 HDMI

Associate
Good morning guys.

Im trying to decide on a new tv set and my budget and needs keeps changing.

I use TV for movies and streaming services only

My whole point of upgrading was i really wanted 75" and settled for a QLED. My thoughts was were to get the Hisense 75A7GQTUK it dropped to as little as £720 in costco which i missed but still listed at £899 (hope it might drop again) the hisense would allow me to upgrade in the near future if 8k takes off?

i was considering just smashing my budget and just go for a lot better quality i want to be blown away if im honest my 6 year 58" hisense has been great but i want a little bigger and better quality.

im also considering the Samsung QE75QN85AATXXU which again costco has listed for £1850 which is a great deal but also looking at the LG OLED OLED65C14LB which is only 65" but still bigger than what i have and read so many amazing things about the sets.

do people expect 8k to take off eventually?

should i only be looking at 120HZ only? 2.1HDMI make a big difference?

heads abit burnt out with it all and keep changing my mind waiting for a price drop or sale to jump at me to make my mind up.

Hope for some advice please and if anybody owns any of the above sets.

Thanks Ads.

Associate
OP
Thanks so much for the input so far guys, i'll try and respond one by one :)

What's your viewing distance?

TV to sofa is Two meters away, Up until a few days ago i'd have never considered less than 75" but been thinking going from a 58" to a better quality 65" would still provide a bigger screen which i really want but also amazing quality upgrade.

I have a family member on the same street that has the living room exact same setup as me and recently picked up a 75" so its suitable with the viewing distance rather than a huge overkill/eyes burning

Associate
OP
The 120HZ refresh rate now being pushed (as opposed to motion interpolation and the like that was available for a long time), is mainly a benefit for gaming on the latest generation of consoles, with both the PS5 and Xbox X able to target 120fps gaming.

If you aren't planning on gaming, then personally I'd be focusing on image quality, best HDR implementation etc.

First time ever ive decided against a next get console currently but possibly add one in the future (PS5 no plans yet) , i have my PC with a 144hz monitor which was a fantastic and noticeably upgrade a few years ago hence me looking at that but if the 120hz makes no difference watching movies or TV then dont see as a hurdle then as the 120hz seems to be adding to costs.

Associate
OP
If it were me i'd be looking at a Sony or Panasonic OLED in whatever size you want, plus some more. It's movies and shows only.

I'd argue 4k hasn't properly taken off yet. According to the rtings graph 8k being worth it requires you to sit less than 1.2m away from a 60" screen. Though 8Ks are generally not that size and way bigger equalling high costs.

The current prices aren't lightly to got much lower, some models won't go any lower now also. The 2022 lines are only a few months away now. If my requirements were merely movies and shows, i'd just make the purchase now while viewing is more regular being winter months :)

Was abit confused with sonys TV's as the OLED variants are big money and the dont offer QLED either, reading up on it i imagine the "Full Array" is similar technology to QLED? Sony XR65X90JU could be an option as ive overlook that set.

Associate
OP
I'll try and help there, but i'm certainly no TV expect by any means.

Ignore what is essentially marketing gumph, QLED isn't a thing, as is NANO. These are Samsung and LG terms. MiniLED backlighting some consider to hover around this area, but it is an improvement for sure. MiniLED backlighting is what NEO QLED and NANO kind of is. Someone might chime in there hopefully. I'm not sure who or why, but mini Led has managed to get a blurred meaning from what i can tell.

Samsung will be starting OLEDs this year, as LG own the patent/manufacturing, or something along those lines. However still, brands do add their own tech or preferences to the OLED tech. I posted the following video in the other TV thread that just came up, and it's relevant here also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCSAdW3Wejk&t=3s
This shows that non-OLED is capable, and LG despite being the OLED go-to, doesn't win out. Sony and Panny for TL : DR.

Full array local dimming, which the forums always use FALD acronym, is to allow LCD LED TVs better contrast and light control, and generally better viewing. The cheaper tech is edge lit display, which still offers lighting zones, but much less than FALD. Also the lower end TVs, say £800 and less can use IPS panels. The IPS vs VA argument in monitors applies to TVs also, however TVs have some bigger manufacturers behind it, and essentially more sales allowing more money. So unfortunately the arguments are non directly transferable from monitor to TV, but are transferable as it's the same tech after all. Confused and undecided? Yes, good, so am I and others.

If burn-in was an issue for you, that TV is also a contender.
If being in a bright room, again non OLED.
But when your budget allows OLED, as does your viewing (movies and shows only?), then OLED would be my number 1 choice. Though realistically you need a budget, or decide if you really want a bigger TV vs a smaller TV of slightly lesser quality. You need to remember at this price range, the TVs are premium level.

thanks so much for the lengthy reply :)

So much info my heads fried ha, but in all seriousness some of this i have been reading about.

Our living room is very bright we face the sun in the mornings beams right through the living room most mornings and stays bright throughout the day, adding into the mix we have 7 week old twin girls in the house now so plenty of lights on too when it gets dark.

Thinking QLED or full array be a better option in these circumstance,

Associate
OP
Hi Adam, tough buying a TV these days. However, I am here to help cut through all the tech speak.

Buy that TV.

Bring it home.

Be completely blown away :)

You can thank me later ;)

EDIT: Edited for language.

Thats what i want and the reviews of that TV are incredible.

maybe just check my previous comments above :)

Associate
OP
I checked your comments before reading. It seems to me like you are still deciding?

If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't afford it, buy the 55 inch version.

Don't worry about brightness or anything like that. It will still look great. And if you play console games, it will look fantastic, and if you do have a movie night where you can turn the lights down a bit, they will look amazing, really, just jaw droppingly good.

However, that's only if you can afford it. What I would actually do if i I was you is set a budget, the max you can afford. And we will tell you the best TV that you can get within that budget.

Im off to costco at the weekend as first port of call as they seem to eclipse all on price so hopefully they have a few of the sets im interested on display.

C1 prob sitting top of my list atm if i can get over the size issue as it was one of my main reasoning for upgrading in the first place

Associate
OP
You're lucky, for you the choice is actually easy - go for the QN85A you mentioned. The reasons are straightforward: it will be superior to OLED in your room conditions & its weakness related to local dimming in game mode are not relevant for your use case, finally size itself is always a bigger positive point over straight image quality once the TV is already a decent FALD. Not to mention it's a great TV and its inorganic nature as opposed to OLED means it will last you many more years and with kids watching it too burn in is almost guaranteed; wouldn't that be a waste, to spend all this money and have to buy a new TV in just a few years!

8K is not going to be relevant for the next 10 years as far as video content is concerned, and even for gaming it will be a very mixed affair mostly reserved for ultra enthusiast PC setups. As for 120hz, it's not very important for consoles but a nice plus. HDMI 2.1 is not very important outside of gaming, only exception being eARC for a nice surround sound setup. Overall nothing to worry about.

I appreciate the input and offering and giving advice on this set as its one ive been looking at too, woke up this morning thinking again maybe i'd prefer the 75" still but thats providing me the biggest headache as so many choices, all of the sets im looking at will all be an improvement picture quality wise.

Thinking i'd prefer a little less picture quality and bigger screen than a smaller set/better picture.

i can access the EPP samsung store and they have the QE75QN85AATXXU listed at £1920, which seems a very good price.

Associate
OP
The bigger you go and closer you sit, you'll need to be feeding a crispy signal. SD would look terrible :D

I go for bringing the sofa forward on movie nights.

Also note, make sure your audio game is on the same level. Picture is only half the experience.

Well that was gonna be another topic of choice im still very happy with my 6 year old denon avr 2200w and my tanny 5 speaker setup, just hope people dont start panning the amp saying that'll need upgrading too :confused:

Associate
OP
While it's a pain choosing a new TV, I do like going into stops and checking out TV's on display and getting demos.

Hopefully for you, it will help you decide which one to buy. Good luck and lets us know how it goes :)

Will deffo report my findings, the TV which now sitting at the top QE75QN85AATXXU listed at £1920 on EPP samsung store. But sadly out of stock im constanlty checking for them to land back in stock. Hopefully i can remain patient until weekend when i can go and actually view some sets.

Associate
OP
Thanks so much so far guys and more views are welcomed.

As previously mentioned above the TV which now sitting at the top QE75QN85AATXXU listed at £1920 on EPP samsung store. But sadly out of stock im constanlty checking for them to land back in stock.

Hopefully i can remain patient until weekend when i can go and actually view some sets.

ive picked up so much info on this thread its been a big help and now i have a lot more knowledge on TV's and also each set on my short list.

Associate
OP
That TV doesn't support Dolby Vision. Don't think I would buy a TV now that doesn't support it.

With that Budget you can get the Latest 65inch LG G1 OLED TV with the Evo Panels and a 6 year warranty from Richersounds.

Not really sure i'd go for a 65" screen, the 75" versions are way over the budget.

Would it really be a huge issue not having dolby vision? if im honest i know very little about it

Associate
OP
I've just picked up a Hisense 55U8GQTUK from Costco for £480. yes I know Hisense have a rep for being a pretty budget brand, however this model of TV is pretty well specced overall.

Not fired it up yet, but from reading reviews and in terms of bang for buck I don't think anything comes anywhere near it if you aren't wanting to spend a boat load.

It has:
  • ULED 4K screen
  • Dolby Vision
  • HDR10+
  • HLG
  • 1000 nits peak brightness
  • 178 angle of visibility
  • IMAX enhanced
  • Alexa & Google
  • Quantum dot colour
  • Full array local dimming
  • 120hz
Not that I have a clue what half of that does, but I believe some are features you never get on a sub £500 TV.

Everywhere else they are £650-£800 so this is a filthily cheap. They're sold out at Costco online but ring your local warehouse, they will probably have some in.

got a 6 year hisense which has been fantastic which is what i am replacing, thats a good price but way too small for me, Even the 65" version is too as i'd consider the uled model they look good as ive seen them on display but kinda increased my budget now. They dont list a 75" version of that TV which is odd.

Associate
OP
To be frank if you enjoy a good movie and your looking forward to 4k HDR which your OP points too you will kick yourself going for an qn85 @ 75" as soon as you spot the bloom points in HDR and the grey black you won't stop seeing them, I guess you could load your TV room up with some really bright lights or only watch in the day (last time I looked the UK gets dark for 4-5 months of the year before 5 pm)

Some people are fine with this, I'm not so I feel I should point this out to you.

Just a quick Google unearthed this -

For a TV of this caliber, we were surprised to observe shallow black levels on the QN85A, particularly while receiving an HDR signal. While using a standard ANSI checkerboard pattern in HDR, we measured black levels of around 0.350 to 0.450 nits, which is quite high, even for a standard LCD TV with LED backlights. To put this into perspective, the QN90A’s black level while displaying this pattern clocked in at a much lower 0.059 nits—it’s not even close.

While receiving an SDR signal, the QN85A is able to dip a little deeper into black and make use of its local dimming algorithms, but it’s still nowhere near the depths we expect to see on a TV this expensive. In practice, this means far less shadow detail than there ought to be in darker scenes—something we confirmed while watching Blu-rays in the lab.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re.../content/samsung-qn85a-neo-qled-tv-review.amp

No idea if that's a good site or not but I'm sure the reviewer wouldn't have said the above if it wasn't totally obvious.

Oh and No DV no Samsung TV there entire range is pointless without DV.

Like I said hang on a few months wait for Samsung to start shipping the QD Oleds screens to Sony and Sony to get them out there.

Bottom line I wouldn't even consider that set.

That me practically back to square one thanks :D

Associate
OP
y5cdFCY

>

online print screen
Does anybody have any info on the above sets? both the same price and ticks all my boxes tbh.

I cannot see any differences when comparing on the currys website

Associate
OP
I give up, real estate over quality is not the way to go.

I really appreciate all of your help and advice but, 75” really is what I wanted from the start.

The C1 is stunning but the extra cost for the 77” version is too much. Also the 77” version sadly just overlaps my floor standers so it’s a tad over sized.

move just been looking at an older version Sony KD75X81 and it looks stunning also on the display and the price too so I think the full array of the X94 or X90 would be even better than this.

it has all the features I’ve been advised to look for Dolby vision , 120HZ . 2.1 HDMI.

man’s can get either version for £1350.

I think that’s good bang for buck, extra 200-300 on too for a 65” OLED screen just can’t justify it.

hope I don’t regret it, gonna go curry’s for another look around

Associate
OP
Good price, however the op has started 2 more threads basically asking the same question so I doubt he will read this.

Agreed i'll try to keep it to one post next time got too carried away, feel a lot better now ive deicide.

i tend to agree. Having switched to oled a couple of years ago, i wouldn't go back to anything else. the C1 is a bargain right now at c£1578 at richer sounds

£1,499.38 on LG now via the coupon/LG member. Both good prices

Associate
OP
Too old to hunt, what did you decide?

77" C1 forget the budget ha.

But honestly before i decided to upgrade i knew very little with todays specs/technology i shouldn't have even had one or mention it.

Ive made mitakes before jumping into things and made bad buys i wanted this one to be right and do the homework.

Ive learnt so much, you've been a great help :)

Back
Top Bottom