• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Apparently there not make Xbox One's anymore. Good news I reckon. Bye bye last gen.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/13/22881211/microsoft-discontinues-xbox-one-consoles-2020

Is it, there's nothing to get kids to move to the next generation or bug their parents about getting the new console. Due to the nature of Fortnite, Overwatch, Minecraft popularity on old gen I think it's a very hard task to get kids to move on. Even the stats I saw for Halo were pretty poor compared to destiny and a raft of other free 2 play games :(

Soldato
Over a year ago, not surprising. Since when did anyone have stock of a One X or One S in stock?

The SS is at such a close price point it doesn’t make sense to compete with themselves.

Man of Honour
Is it, there's nothing to get kids to move to the next generation or bug their parents about getting the new console. Due to the nature of Fortnite, Overwatch, Minecraft popularity on old gen I think it's a very hard task to get kids to move on. Even the stats I saw for Halo were pretty poor compared to destiny and a raft of other free 2 play games :(

Now they can drop the price of the Series S without having to also provide a lower cost One S.

Sony need the PS4 to fill that gap (in fact they started making more of them) but Microsoft have the Series S for that. The Series S was a smart move.

Caporegime
Now they can drop the price of the Series S without having to also provide a lower cost One S.

Sony need the PS4 to fill that gap (in fact they started making more of them) but Microsoft have the Series S for that. The Series S was a smart move.

Yeah good point, I never thought of the series s like that, in fact I thought it was pretty pointless but what you say I think is correct and a smart move.

Soldato

This exactly, the series S is such a great little machine.

For me personally, it would have been great if Sony had a Series S equivalent.

Soldato
You know what my biggest movement of 'wow' has been in this new generation of PS5 and Series X?

The Series X quick resume.

Being able to instantly dip in and out of the most load intensive and heavyweight title, Flight Sim is something that truly feels next generation and is extremely impressive.

Microsoft's decision to base the Series console OS on Hyper V ans make use of snapshot technology is an absolutely brilliant idea, which I think goes unsung a lot. As future titles become larger, load times will become longer and quick resume will only become even more beneficial.

From my understanding, unless PS5 make some drastic changes to their OS and how titles run, I can't see a quick resume feature ever coming to PS5.

Last edited:
Soldato
You know what my biggest movement of 'wow' has been in this new generation of PS5 and Series X?

Being able to instantly dip in and out of the most load intensive and heavyweight title, Flight Sim is something that truly feels next generation and is extremely impressive.

Microsoft's decision to base the Series console OS on Hyper V ans make use of snapshot technology is an absolutely brilliant idea, which I think goes unsung a lot. As future titles become larger, load times will become longer and quick resume will only become even more beneficial.

From my understanding, unless PS5 make some drastic changes to their OS and how titles run, I can't see a quick resume feature ever coming to PS5.

My kid only has the series S and I've been impressed with that too.

Have to say I'm blown away by the S. I've never used an xbox, but the thing is awesome.

We have two high end gaming rigs too, but they've hardly had a look in since the xbox arrived. Ridiculously convenient, and even the lousy amount of space hasn't been a problem yet... Still managing to get 10-15 games installed at a time.

Man of Honour

With the speed of loading from these SSDs with the dedicated compression/decompression hardware I find quick resume useless, and I'd much rather have that huge chunk of storage back for other uses. Loading should only get faster with time as the hardware is considered properly during development.

Plus loads of games don't work properly with it, with Halo Infinite and Mass Effect Legendary Edition being the latest 2 in a long list of games I've come across that don't work.

If all games removed the intro splash screens when they are booted up and were streamlined to get you into the game ASAP then quick resume would not be needed except for getting around poor save systems when swapping games regularly.

Soldato
The quick resume is good, like Kree says, when it works. Loads of time I've had to reboot Assasins Creed Valhalla because it can't save my progress because of Quick Resume and when I boot into FH5 it still takes a while to sort itself out and load the current "season". I'm guessing this is to do with the way it loses online connectivity to their servers

Caporegime
The quick resume is good, like Kree says, when it works. Loads of time I've had to reboot Assasins Creed Valhalla because it can't save my progress because of Quick Resume and when I boot into FH5 it still takes a while to sort itself out and load the current "season". I'm guessing this is to do with the way it loses online connectivity to their servers

I don't think the FH5 can be fixed to be honest as FH4 did exactly the same with quick resume. I just exit the game and reload as the 7 day challenges don't update themselves after resuming via quick resume.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom