Random 3D printing chatter

Soldato
Those filaments with dust in them (like stone) really do hide the lines just so well :) Always look really nice!

----------

Arc Welder: Pre-slicing with Arc Welder MASSIVELY reducing file sizes with any curves. I'm now getting nice smooth curves, where before the printer was being bogged down by so many small movements to give the effect of a curve. Very nice so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
My dislike of the MSDD continues lol. (comical, when you consider I even have a linear rail adapter plate from Micro Swiss coming in the mail lol).

This morning whilst changing the stepper motor for the extruder to a smaller one, I found the grub screw on the extruder loose. It was only still working because the 'flat' on the motor shaft was stopping the gear from completely spinning free, as it was catching the grub/set screw. I also found that the heatbreak grub/set screw was loose AGAIN, even after tightening it too days ago. I really wish the hotend could be swapped to a better design.

Soldato
OP
There are thread lock fluids that would do the job but you'd want medium strength (disassembly with hand tools) and high heat. Loctite do some like the 2422 but it seems near impossible to get hold of here. Could be worth an email to Henkel (who make Loctite) to see if they can recommend something that is actually obtainable. The less common ones aren't as cheap though to it could well be in the range to £20 to £40 a bottle. Your motor shaft screw would be fine with a drop of the common stuff as it doesn't get near the something like 200°C necessary to bake it off.

Soldato
There are thread lock fluids that would do the job but you'd want medium strength (disassembly with hand tools) and high heat. Loctite do some like the 2422 but it seems near impossible to get hold of here. Could be worth an email to Henkel (who make Loctite) to see if they can recommend something that is actually obtainable. The less common ones aren't as cheap though to it could well be in the range to £20 to £40 a bottle. Your motor shaft screw would be fine with a drop of the common stuff as it doesn't get near the something like 200°C necessary to bake it off.

BTW Henkel were quite helpful when I asked them about Loctite for a specific use fairly recently. Support details here: https://www.henkel.co.uk/contact-us

I will see what I can find over here (USA). I might ask Micro Swiss themselves (They actually are very helpful), it's just peeing me off having to constantly check these things. I think I've spent as much on 'support' things (like tools, lube etc etc), as I have on the printer itself lol.

Soldato
Soldato
I swear, nothing ever easy. Delta printer parts arrived yesterday morning to my work place. USPS showing as delivered. Guess what.. no package. /facepalm. 30 minutes to work, 30 minutes trying to find it along with mail room staff... 30 minutes home empty handed.

Just frustrated as I need these parts to get it working, and I've been waiting weeks already, and now I have to find out WTH has happened to my 'delivered' package.

Soldato
OP
Thanks :) p.s. if people are really in need of desperately getting something, and shipping is just silly, I can always try and help out.

Cheers, appreciated. I did try to get a pint of Anchor Lube* delivered to my wife's hotel room while she was out there on business a few years back. Turns out "Next day delivery" meant "For any products except that one". *It's a cutting and tapping fluid....but it did amuse me that the staff wouldn't assume that :D
Always thought I'd just wait until next over your side of the pond.....and then stuff happened to wreck that plan!

I swear, nothing ever easy. Delta printer parts arrived yesterday morning to my work place. USPS showing as delivered. Guess what.. no package. /facepalm. 30 minutes to work, 30 minutes trying to find it along with mail room staff... 30 minutes home empty handed.
Just frustrated as I need these parts to get it working, and I've been waiting weeks already, and now I have to find out WTH has happened to my 'delivered' package.

Well, on the schadenfreude principle that it might make you feel better, currently when it rains hard or if the washing machine runs, the downstairs toilet overflows foul water to the tune of tens of litres. Deliveries are also interesting - silver steel shaft (known as drill rod your side of the pond) I needed for a project with a deadline of Friday gone....turned up this morning.

Soldato
Cheers, appreciated. I did try to get a pint of Anchor Lube* delivered to my wife's hotel room while she was out there on business a few years back. Turns out "Next day delivery" meant "For any products except that one". *It's a cutting and tapping fluid....but it did amuse me that the staff wouldn't assume that :D
Always thought I'd just wait until next over your side of the pond.....and then stuff happened to wreck that plan!

Well, on the schadenfreude principle that it might make you feel better, currently when it rains hard or if the washing machine runs, the downstairs toilet overflows foul water to the tune of tens of litres. Deliveries are also interesting - silver steel shaft (known as drill rod your side of the pond) I needed for a project with a deadline of Friday gone....turned up this morning.

I'm very glad you explained what that lube was..... LMAO.

Damn.... that's not good on your project! Best of luck getting that done.

In other news... I just had an end of year review with 'exceptional' wooo... :D I will soon realize that inflation doesn't care about meagre corporate pay raises lol.

Soldato
OP
Well congrats on the pay rise....but yeah, I know where you're coming from on the inflation (and the energy prices). Some things are the same on both sides of the pond.

You can sometimes get by without some materials if you're bloody-minded enough. Had to make 6. Two were decent steel - precision ground 8mm rod I had in stock - one was turned down from a larger aluminium rod and three were turned down from nasty steel that needs lots of sanding to not look and feel like a file. You can't lightly let someone down on the only thing they've asked for, for their getting-their-life-back-on-track birthday party though, now can you.

Soldato
Had 3L of elegoo water washable resin arrive from UK aliexpress warehouse.

Ended up being £24.90 Per L, which is around £7 more than I pay for the Anycubic Eco resin.

But, I use 5L of IPA very quickly so use around 40L per month, which isn't cheap.

Works out in the long run.

Anyone else use Water Washable?

How did you find it?

Soldato
Had 3L of elegoo water washable resin arrive from UK aliexpress warehouse.

Ended up being £24.90 Per L, which is around £7 more than I pay for the Anycubic Eco resin.

But, I use 5L of IPA very quickly so use around 40L per month, which isn't cheap.

Works out in the long run.

Anyone else use Water Washable?

How did you find it?
how on gods earth do use that much IPA?
do you not filter and re-use it?

Soldato
OP
I must get through 40l of IPA a month.....it's just not the cleaning kind :D

@VeNT You might want to avoid mentioning where you bought the resin as mentioning competitors is one of the few things OCUK get a bit annoyed about.

Soldato
OP
I don't believe so but the other company do sell many other products that the would classify as competition. For the record - forum text being the delightfully misinterpretable medium that it is - I wasn't having a go at VeNT, just reminding him as it's quite irritating when you get banned....I've been there.

Soldato
Received my 3DFused Y Axis linear rail kit. The actual bed and rail are good quality, move well, no movement in directions it shouldn't. The printed parts are poor. The main bracket that is about 1.5 inches thick is a disaster. They printed it too tall, so the screws are unable to reach the extrusion nuts.

After 5/6 weeks of waiting, lack of communication about what is going on (they are a small company though), I have taken my printer apart to find it doesn't work for something that is so basic, the person putting the part together (inserted the metal pieces into the thick bracket) completely ignored they printed it wrong.

EDIT: After some analysis, the screws are too short for the task. They made a change to the metal plate and made it thicker, and didn't adjust the screw length. 3DFused are sorting it out, but I am likely to do a major removal of my PSU and driver board etc, and just do away with the bracket entirely to lower the bed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom